3 replies to this topic

#1 Staryeyes

Staryeyes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 11:03 PM

Hi everyone!

Last couple of days, while checking each tote, I noticed a few of them have a sour smell.

Three days ago I sprayed h202 into three of my sealed totes. They had signs of excessive cobweb mould. Since then two of the totes recovered, and one is pinning!(yay)
Rookie move on the second tote, I panicked and saw a blueish spot and I assumed this was trich, so I removed it from the room ASAP to learn that this was probably the mycelium bruising. Lesson learned.

Tonight I noticed another tote that smells sour. I double checked each tote in my room and these two are the only ones that smell sour.

The only thing I can think of is I used duct tape for the vent holes instead of medical tape as suggested by my mentor.

Could that have something to do with the sour smell? A quarter of my totes are sealed with duct tape and the rest with medical tape.
I could add that these are all mono tubs with rye grain substrate.

The humidity is between 50-55 in the room and the temp is a steady 75.

Could this be a contam or a bacteria that has colonized in the totes from the duct tape and h202?

Should I count my loss and toss the sour smelling totes? I don’t want to chance infecting my other healthy mono tubs!

Namaste

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,478 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:25 AM

You should really toss any project that shows any type of mold. The moment you see mold, especially when it starts to show color, millions of spores are getting released into your growing environment and will only cause more mold issues in the future.

When you read about people trying to remove mold or treat it with H2O2, they are typically beginners who don't have much experience. You will not see veteran growers trying to treat mold issues and continue fruiting that particular project. By continuing to fruit, you will cause more issues for yourself down the road. It is far to easy to start from scratch than try to save the project. I guarantee that you will have greater contamination rates down the road by continuing with a contaminated project.

Do not listen to advice from people who tell you to continue with a contaminated project. I know from experience that you are only asking for greater problems!

If it smells sour, you are dealing with bacterial contamination. You should have cut your losses at the fist sign of contamination and you should definitely cut your losses now that it has gone bacterial.

Once it is fully colonized, your really don't need to have tape or polyfil over the FAE holes. the only reason to use tape or polyfil is to maintain humidity. A properly pasteurized substrate should be adequately resistant to contamination. You are allowing plenty of spores from your environment into the chamber any time you open it. You are mistaken as to the purposes of the tape or polyfil if you think it is to avoid allowing potential contaminates into the chamber.

Edited by PJammer24, 29 September 2020 - 09:28 AM.

• onediadem, coorsmikey and ElPirana like this

#3 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 693 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:17 AM

Staryeyes, you mentioned a couple totes are pinning. This doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s not contaminated. I’ve had contaminated tubs that will try to fruit right before it’s completely taken over by the contaminant. So just be aware and keep a close eye on those tubs.
  • onediadem likes this

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,766 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:38 AM

Put anything with off odors outside to finish fruiting. Bacterial contamination in particular tends to be knocked back enough by the rain and fresh air outdoors to allow decent flushes (and if there's no rain, use a garden hose).

• onediadem and PJammer24 like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!