10 replies to this topic

#1 bwahaha

bwahaha

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 71 posts

Donator

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:37 PM

Im not very skilled or experienced when it comes to casing substrates this so far has been my best endeavor thus far. But now on my third flush I feel cased too heavily and also that the casing used was is too wet. I'm only using vermiculite. My problem is I have a good amount of side pinning and growing but no pins forming on top. Hyphae continues to grow up through the casing so i continue to recase those areas. Here are some images if you see any mistakes please let me know. I understand the side pinning and why I have that issue mainly focused on casing related issues. Much thanks for any helpful replies.

casing.jpg

casing01.jpg

casing02.jpg

casing03.jpg

casing04.jpg

• ElPirana likes this

#2 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 667 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2020 - 02:43 PM

Nothing wrong with side pins! The first few grows I did were side pin galore, only after a few experiences under my belt was I able to get slightly better pin sets lol. The casing will definitely help but don't be disappointed if a better pinset doesn't appear. Sometimes its genetics and an MS syringe can be tricky sometimes!

So if you want you should update us with how it goes, perhaps even a picture of the full set up so we know if you are using a dub tub, bag setup or have a fruiting chamber or grow tent.

#3 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 625 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2020 - 03:44 PM

You can try lining the tubs first, Lately I’ve just been using trash bags as liners. The substrate will stick to the plastic liner and as the sub shrinks away from the sides of the tub, the liner will move in with it. It’s still possible to get a few side pins this way, but greatly reduced, often no side pins at all.

#4 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,562 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:51 PM

Save yourself the stress, cubes don't need a casing layer.

In this case you effectively slowed fruiting on the surface with that casing layer.

If you're going to continue to try using a casing layer on cubes, do it very thin, 1/4 inch, with dry verm and mist after applying.

Don't worry about side pins, focus on creating the best surface conditions you can.
  • onediadem, PJammer24 and bwahaha like this

#5 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,470 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:21 PM

Man I see a future "longest shroom contest" winner! Got any pics of the that big pecker that gets cut off in the first photo? Full length uncut of course?

Edited by coorsmikey, 29 September 2020 - 09:21 PM.

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2020 - 01:39 PM

It's either due to genetics or due to it being too hot and there not being enough fresh air that they are long with caps that are small...

If I had to guess, I would guess that it is a genetic issue producing the long, stretched stems and small caps but if you  have conditions that are too warm or are very lacking in FAE, the results can be similar.

#7 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 809 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:01 PM

I saw a lot of stretching when I was fruiting in bags and I got some real monsters in low FAE environments, if I remember correctly the caps were mostly of a normal size but disproportionate to the lanky stems. Leads me to believe you could sometimes use low FAE to your advantage if it's worth it to you to gamble with the contaminate gods.

#8 bwahaha

bwahaha

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 71 posts

Donator

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:07 PM

Unfortunately that long one has quit growing the caps darkening and drying up it seems. The temp is a bit warm for fruiting around 80 a little lower at night. Plus fae issue has been fixed i hope. I needed more room for them to grow up so I'm doing a tub flipped over atop another tub..

#9 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 809 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:26 PM

That's called a dubtub. I'm not sure what you mean by the cap is darkening. Sounds like you might want to pick before it's too late.

#10 bwahaha

bwahaha

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 71 posts

Donator

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:32 PM

I meant it aborted. And not a tub in a tub but a tub upright with the sub and a tub upside down on top of the one holding the shoebox. I had to pick one for the cap to make a print and i picked the aforementioned abort and a second one. Here they are with the size reference being a standard bic lighter.

pick3.jpg

#11 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 809 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:41 PM

Oh, I guess it's not technically a dubtub. I suggest getting another shoebox an putting that upside down on top of the substrate shoebox. Fruiting it as a dubtub will probably help you maintain a decent microclimate vs having the two large tubs with the shoebox inside. I think that's what you are doing right?

Man those caps are ridiculously tiny. I wonder if they will even drop spores for you. Looks like the veils tore pretty recently so you picked at the right time.

Edited by pastyoureyes, 30 September 2020 - 09:47 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!