• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Salty117

Salty117

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 07:26 AM

I hope I don't get in trouble for this link I just thought it would be relevant to our community interests here  :tinfoil:

Just a little something-something regarding the Decriminalization (more accurately described as Deprioritization..) of Entheogenic Substances in Ann Harbor, Michigan.

https://www.msn.com/...nts/ar-BB19rLfa

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,471 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2020 - 09:27 AM

Please try an copy the content over and link to give credit to the source. Once the link goes bad and someone comes across the thread there is nothing to view. I would be nice one day to look back and read how psychedelic became legal again over the years. It's just as we evolve I don't see much effort getting put forth to preserve threads that are just broken links. Make sense? Plus I working to get a subforum going dedicated to ethno/ psychedelic news and history  and if that works out we will be moving the relevant content to the appropriate subforum. This topic is also posted in the general discussions forum too and I had to edit in the content of the article there.

• Moonless and Salty117 like this

#3 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,187 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2020 - 07:31 AM

It doesn't cut/paste well but here it is

Ann Arbor decriminalizes magic mushrooms, psychedelic plants

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — The city of Ann Arbor has decriminalized psychedelic plants and fungi, including magic mushrooms, and police officers will no longer make them an enforcement focus.

Magic mushrooms and other psychedelic plants and fungi are now effectively decriminalized in Ann Arbor, Mich., at least in terms of city police enforcement priority. City Council voted unanimously Monday night, Sept. 21, 2020 in favor of a resolution declaring it's the city's lowest law enforcement priority to investigate and arrest anyone for planting, cultivating, purchasing, transporting, distributing, engaging in practices with or possessing entheogenic plants or plant compounds. 

City Council voted unanimously Sept. 21 in favor of a resolution declaring it the city’s lowest law enforcement priority, MLive.com reported. It means that authorities won't investigate and arrest anyone for planting, cultivating, buying, transporting, distributing, engaging in practices with or possessing “entheogenic plants” or plant compounds.

Magic mushrooms and other psychedelic plants and fungi are now effectively decriminalized in Ann Arbor, Mich., at least in terms of city police enforcement priority. City Council voted unanimously Monday night, Sept. 21, 2020 in favor of a resolution declaring it's the city's lowest law enforcement priority to investigate and arrest anyone for planting, cultivating, purchasing, transporting, distributing, engaging in practices with or possessing entheogenic plants or plant compounds. 

The resolution defines entheogenic plants as plants and fungi that contain indole amines, tryptamines and phenethylamines “that can benefit psychological and physical wellness, support and enhance religious and spiritual practices, and can reestablish human’s inalienable and direct relationship to nature.”

The move applies to ayahuasca, ibogaine, mescaline, peyote, psilocybin mushrooms and other substances with hallucinogenic properties considered illegal under state and federal law.

Additionally, the city council called upon the Washtenaw County prosecutor’s office to halt prosecution of people involved in the use of such plants and plant compounds.

A grassroots group called Decriminalize Nature Ann Arbor, or DNA2, has been lobbying city officials to take up the issue.

After some council members were apprehensive about sponsoring the group's proposal earlier this year, some ultimately decided that they were persuaded by arguments centering medical and spiritual benefits of using psychedelics, particularly for mental health treatment.

Advocates contend that non-addictive psychedelics can provide a pathway out of opioid addiction.

Council members noted that any major violation of state or federal law or any use of entheogenic plants that poses a threat to public health, safety and welfare still could result in city law enforcement involvement.

Psychedelic substances can be used to help address substance abuse issues, addiction, recidivism, trauma, post-traumatic stress, depression, anxiety and other debilitating conditions, according to the resolution.

Last year, Denver became the first U.S. city to decriminalize psychedelic mushrooms. The city was then followed by Oakland and Santa Cruz in California, which decriminalized all entheogenic plants.

Edited by pharmer, 03 October 2020 - 07:33 AM.

• coorsmikey and ElPirana like this

#4 Salty117

Salty117

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:46 AM

Just now checked back in here I'm sorry.. I'll keep this in mind going forward

Please try an copy the content over and link to give credit to the source. Once the link goes bad and someone comes across the thread there is nothing to view. I would be nice one day to look back and read how psychedelic became legal again over the years. It's just as we evolve I don't see much effort getting put forth to preserve threads that are just broken links. Make sense? Plus I working to get a subforum going dedicated to ethno/ psychedelic news and history  and if that works out we will be moving the relevant content to the appropriate subforum. This topic is also posted in the general discussions forum too and I had to edit in the content of the article there.

#5 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 05:14 PM

DNA2 is cool.  They held a psychedelic conference about a year ago.  I actually got a ticket to attend (I think they only offered 200 tickets) but was not able to make it up there :(....pretty pricey trip to get to ann arbor for me.  Michigan is a beautiful place (and if you havent been, you will suprized by the cultural diversity (not trying to be all SJW, but I was surprised at the sheer number of rich Chinese "kids" I saw/met there, e.g. 20yo kids with $80k cars!)...likely due to the all the engineering operations there/ Chinese affinity for that State.  I visited a friend up there once many years ago and attended 4:20 at UofM.  It was cool.  very weird vibe to be smoking in public before any American States legalized for rec., i.e. I think Ann Arbor decrimed cannabis back in the late 1970s so the city police could only issue you a $25 ticket for possession.

but unless you fly into Detroit (or maybe Flint if you get lucky and find a flight), the main way to get there is by driving.  But I watched the live stream back when it happened!  Here is the full conference video:   

I really liked the time I spent up there, albeit for just a week or so, and now that I see they legalized cannabis for rec, I'm even more intrigued!

Edited by ilikethings, 24 October 2020 - 05:35 PM.

• Salty117 likes this

#6 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 670 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2020 - 06:51 PM

I'm all for a psychedelic news and history forum. If you are still considering this I'd love to volunteer working on excavating old threads to transfer the the new space.

As for the push to decriminalize, I really think that this is the way to go. I'm really happy to see these few cities finally taking the steps towards a more reasonable drug policy. I'll be sure to look out for where this goes since the news moves very slow and is sometimes infactual to the reality of the situation. Despite these steps foreward I feel that more cities need to make this move. Of all the decriminalization movements I think that Nature is the best one because it effectively decriminalizes Cannabis, Mushrooms, San Pedro, Ayahuasca, Ipomoia etc. Peyote is noticeably not included as the NAC has issued statements for it to be excluded from the list as it could increase illegal poaching and use of the endangered species.

I do hope that more movements start popping up around. Its definitely needed all over the country to gain state and eventually federal support. However I think we need to make sure that the prison industrial complex doesn't change titles and criminals to the ICE and immigrants.

• ilikethings and Salty117 like this

#7 Salty117

Salty117

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 01:10 PM

DNA2 is cool.  They held a psychedelic conference about a year ago.  I actually got a ticket to attend (I think they only offered 200 tickets) but was not able to make it up there :(....pretty pricey trip to get to ann arbor for me.  Michigan is a beautiful place (and if you havent been, you will suprized by the cultural diversity (not trying to be all SJW, but I was surprised at the sheer number of rich Chinese "kids" I saw/met there, e.g. 20yo kids with $80k cars!)...likely due to the all the engineering operations there/ Chinese affinity for that State.  I visited a friend up there once many years ago and attended 4:20 at UofM.  It was cool.  very weird vibe to be smoking in public before any American States legalized for rec., i.e. I think Ann Arbor decrimed cannabis back in the late 1970s so the city police could only issue you a $25 ticket for possession.

I really liked the time I spent up there, albeit for just a week or so, and now that I see they legalized cannabis for rec, I'm even more intrigued!

They held a live event with the Michigan Psychedelic Society on youtube a few weeks ago to discuss the deprioritization that took place in Ann Arbor

[tried to embed a video here but I will need to come back to edit it in]

Michigan is a pretty diverse state as far as cultural backgrounds go, I'm from the West coast of the state so I don't head out as far east as even Lansing unless it's to go to a dispensary. Even less now that my significant other is a Budtender at a dispensary in our town lol. Despite the recreational laws passed, we are both med card patients but her shop is open to both Medical and Recreational sales.

Edited by Salty117, 10 November 2020 - 01:12 PM.

• ilikethings likes this

#8 Salty117

Salty117

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 01:15 PM

I'm all for a psychedelic news and history forum. If you are still considering this I'd love to volunteer working on excavating old threads to transfer the the new space.

Yeah I'd love to participate in compiling psychedelic news and history. I have a lot of time on my hands so I've been doing a lot of research as it is lol.

• ilikethings likes this

#9 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:21 PM

@salty117, Yes! I watched most of that video you referenced.  I have a pen pal up there who is in the legal field.  She is not really a psychonaut but very sympathetic to the cause bc she is not a criminal defense attorney but had to (prior to MI going full rec re cannabis--I think around 30% of Michigan court dockets consisted of cannabis related cases) wait and sit for two hours almost everyday she went to court for all the cannabis motion hearings to finish before she could get to her non-criminal case(s). 

I agree, from my limited experience up there, it is very diverse (both in ethnicity and ideologies).  It seemed like most people just want to work and live their lives.  It seemed like there was far more hustle and bustle than down here in the south than you would know about unless uv been up there.  I hope that they become the first state to simply decrim psilocybin--and unlike Oregon, don't make it a medical program...just prohibit for-profit sales/commercial sales and treat them the same as if someone was growing tomatoes in their backyard.

Edited by ilikethings, 25 November 2020 - 05:23 PM.

• Salty117 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!