• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Chips101

Chips101

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 04:10 PM

I found a huge datura wrightii yesterday. I've seen many on my way to California. I have considered a trip out to the desert. To my surprise no trip needed, this was less then a mile from the strip. My plans for this? Taking a few cuttings for sure. What to do with the seed pods? Any help with this would be awesome.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • Boebs likes this

#2 Chips101

Chips101

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 04:13 PM

I found a huge datura wrightii yesterday. I've seen many on my way to California. I have considered a trip out to the desert. To my surprise no trip needed, this was less then a mile from the strip. My plans for this? Taking a few cuttings for sure. What to do with the seed pods? Any help with this would be awesome.

I was so excited I forgot to add the pics sorry6c58d995bcccd4170db692720e6f02f1.jpg03faa6be8cfbb69cb75d5ae8d1617ff1.jpg64c830bb4cd9ace0debdef7928249a01.jpg

• Boebs and makinbones69 like this

#3 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2020 - 04:57 PM

Let the pods dry and they’ll likely burst open on their own.
They’ll grow readily from there.
Nice plant!
  • wildedibles and Chips101 like this

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 10:50 AM

All parts of the plant contain tropane alkaloids - flowers, stems, leaves, and especially concentrated in the roots. Take care to use gloves while working with the plant so as not to be accidentally "dosed".

That being said......

I have experience with this plant and really don't recommend "tripping" with it. The user doesn't really know they're "tripping" while others around them find it obvious. It's not euphoric in any sense and really lead me to no insights. I had a better time using nutmeg (which is mildly euphoric and much like being "stoned").

I've heard some real horror stories. A Friend of mine was entering random strangers' houses looking for his jacket after consuming the seeds of this plant. He was lucky he wasn't shot or jailed. There's another article around here where a fellow cut off his own reproductive hardware - news article, photos, and everything.

Just sayin'

• coorsmikey, Coopdog, riseabovethought and 3 others like this

#5 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,137 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 11:15 AM

The seeds.. tried them also..
You need a baby sitter.
Have them film you.
You will not try them again most likely..

Nothing much to learn from these besides being insane for 12-24 hours.
Taking to people who are not there.
Seeing things such as a twig appear to be your keys or cell phone, and trying to use it as such, only to get frustrated that it isn't working as it should..
  • Myc, Coopdog, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#6 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 883 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 02:02 PM

Instead, drive back into Vegas, buy 500-1000mg of sativa edibles, much better time. :)
  • Coopdog, riseabovethought, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#7 Chips101

Chips101

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:07 PM

I have never had any interest in consuming this plant. That being said I am a firm believer in collection and cultivation. I felt a calling to collect this after a road trip to riverside ca. to rescue a dog. I have been aware of this plant and its effects but have never seen it. In fact I have casually looked for years. But this year I have spotted atleast 5 huge flowering specimens all from the vehicle I was in . The sixth one was this one and all were seen within a few weeks of one another. I firmly believe that it found me. At any rate after much searching and reading I think I may get it to root in a simple water rooting with no rooting hormones being used and I have two pods that seem viable . I am drying slow in grill ( great place to dry things here) as we havent had rain in over a hundred days.

I will say I am curious about smoking a small portion of a flower as I understand it will help with asthma symptoms but I have no interest in exploring its alkaloid s seems dangerous and always has. This is the update I'll try to follow if she roots.

• wildedibles, Boebs and YoshiTrainer like this

#8 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2020 - 09:10 PM

When I was growing datura I did many a bong rip of both leaves and flowers and got nothing beyond a silly drunken buzz so Id say smoking is relatively safe.
Henbane on the other hand had me losing time just from inhaling smoke from seeds on a charcoal pellet.
  • wildedibles likes this

#9 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:58 AM

They’re beautiful plants, but in essence they are poisonous.
  • wildedibles likes this

#10 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:58 AM

They grow quite easily from seed and, once established in the landscape, tend to come back year after year.

A fellow member here gifted me some genetic hybrids some long years ago which produced flowers within flowers - doubles and sometime triples. Imagine nested matryoshka dolls. Very beautiful.

• wildedibles, Skywatcher and Chips101 like this

#11 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

I Put That Shit On Everything!

• VIP
  • 735 posts

Donator

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:29 AM

Beautiful, but very deadly. I ate 2 seed pods full of Datura seeds and spent a week in ICU and to be honest because of that experience. After 40 years, there are several times I still have a very hard time distinguishing what is real or hallucinatory. I have problems with figuring if everyday stuff is in my head or if it's real, anyway.
I can go into a extreme trip report about it but it's not something I really care to relive.  All I know is that plant changed me in ways I can't describe.

• tregar, Myc, Coopdog and 5 others like this

#12 Chips101

Chips101

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:06 AM

Beautiful, but very deadly. I ate 2 seed pods full of Datura seeds and spent a week in ICU and to be honest because of that experience. After 40 years, there are several times I still have a very hard time distinguishing what is real or hallucinatory. I have problems with figuring if everyday stuff is in my head or if it's real, anyway.
I can go into a extreme trip report about it but it's not something I really care to relive. All I know is that plant changed me in ways I can't describe.

I am grateful for your honesty and forth coming.

• wildedibles and Baphom3t like this

#13 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,137 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:09 AM

I was told to only ever take like 4-8 seeds from the pod..
Even that is extremely difficult to explain..
You dont gather much or remember much..

Beautiful flowers. I also grow them but never tell anyone about their power..
Same with angel trumpets.

Its like a journey into wonderland.. however.. more like the video game Alice than the movie.
  • wildedibles likes this

#14 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,075 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:47 AM

I grow Angels Trumpets. As for eating seeds, just don't, please. As teens, we were told about tripping on Jimson weed, a similar Datura. I ate a spoonful of the horrible tasting seeds, maybe fifteen or so. Lost my mind completely for three days, Mom and Dad put me in the hospital, and they decided I had a psychotic break and restrained me. There I stayed for a couple more days. When finally I came sort of back to normal I remembered very little of it. Apparently I had been ranting and raving to my grandmother about catfish in the toilet, while I pretended to smoke a cigarette that was not there, and I never smoked cigarettes. She called Mom, and I was still ranting and raving about everything. She took me to the hospital, with me yelling the whole way and talking gibberish. 

Three other friends ate them with me, they all ate more than me. One died, the other two were never the same, and one of those killed himself not too long after. Point being, that is not any sort of recreational experience, and while they may use small amounts in some South American Ayahuasca brews and it may have a place in Shamanistic practice it is not for the masses. There is a very small difference between getting high on it and getting dead or ruined for life on it. Pretty plant, but better left alone. 

I feel that Carlos Castaneda did a disservice to people with his writings about it. It is flat out dangerous. 

• TVCasualty, Tenderfoot, wildedibles and 2 others like this

#15 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,137 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:55 AM

I lost a good friend who wouldnt listen to me about trumpets.. he found out i had tried them.. wanted to try them, but i knew his mind was not ready and was weak in his subconscious.
He made tea from 4 full red flowers. Lost his connection to reality and never came back.. ended up killing himself. I feel horrible about it still.. maybe i should have guided him threw his journey, however i did not want to show him that path.
  • Coopdog and wildedibles like this

#16 Chips101

Chips101

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:22 PM

I grow Angels Trumpets. As for eating seeds, just don't, please. As teens, we were told about tripping on Jimson weed, a similar Datura. I ate a spoonful of the horrible tasting seeds, maybe fifteen or so. Lost my mind completely for three days, Mom and Dad put me in the hospital, and they decided I had a psychotic break and restrained me. There I stayed for a couple more days. When finally I came sort of back to normal I remembered very little of it. Apparently I had been ranting and raving to my grandmother about catfish in the toilet, while I pretended to smoke a cigarette that was not there, and I never smoked cigarettes. She called Mom, and I was still ranting and raving about everything. She took me to the hospital, with me yelling the whole way and talking gibberish.

Three other friends ate them with me, they all ate more than me. One died, the other two were never the same, and one of those killed himself not too long after. Point being, that is not any sort of recreational experience, and while they may use small amounts in some South American Ayahuasca brews and it may have a place in Shamanistic practice it is not for the masses. There is a very small difference between getting high on it and getting dead or ruined for life on it. Pretty plant, but better left alone.

I feel that Carlos Castaneda did a disservice to people with his writings about it. It is flat out dangerous.

Coopdog I have always appreciated your input. I'm almost 49 years old & my days of dangerous experimentation are well behind me. I agree as well on Carlos, there is no surgeons notice on the teachings of don Juan. I am beginning to think that removing the post all toghether or maybe just the photos, would be more responsible. Then again if anyone reads this and doesn't heed the warnings. Nothing would work. Had the plant not found me the way it seemed to have . I doubt I would of even made mention of finding it. I promise you I trust your wisdom. I think I noticed the start of root shoots. If so she will go well with my small collection.

• Coopdog, wildedibles and Boebs like this

#17 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 883 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2020 - 01:25 PM

They are beautiful and revered plants in certain cultures. I used to grow "Angels Trumpet" and they would make spectacular double blooms with a yellow trumpets inside of a white. Supposedly this was a last resort plant for Shamans and they would not bring their patient along on the journey. We have datura metel that grows as weeds around here. They're not a very pleasant smelling plants, especially when you break branches.

No reason to hide it Chips, hopefully after reading this post and the very unfortunate horror stories in it, people will give this plant the respect it is due. Your great photos are good for identification purposes.
  • Coopdog, wildedibles, Baphom3t and 1 other like this

#18 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:12 AM

I don't think there's a substance out there that has has a more across the board agreement about being straight up dangerous

In all of the people who I've met that have talked about their experiences, I haven't met a single one whose shared a glowing experience.

• Coopdog, wildedibles, Baphom3t and 1 other like this

#19 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,075 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2020 - 10:06 AM

I agree on not removing the post or the photos. People need to know what they are and to read the warnings. The guy that was never the same really blew my mind a few years back when I went home. My Dad had told me he got hit by a train and dragged for 4 miles. I assumed he had died and grieved for him very much. When I went home, here he came, walking into my Dad's garage! I was so glad to see him! I just (assumed) he had been killed, he was fine! Other than his damaged brain which never was the same after the Datura experience. Same old goofball lol. I think this thread is a good thing for people seeking to find.

I grew some last year from a guy who sent me some super hot pepper seeds and they were mismarked. At the end of the year I dug them out as the roots can contaminate garden foods, and these ones grew from a rootball I tossed out on the ground. I was shocked when I saw them coming up. I figure they are meant to be, so left them to grow. They did not seed this year, but from what my friend told me they are incredibly hardy perennials and my wife loves them. To look at, not to ingest :) 

EDIT: These were stunted from popping up so late and only got 3 feet tall or so. In the raised beds they got HUGE. Normally these things are 7-8 feet tall with leaves 6 inches long and flowers easily a foot long. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Datura.jpg

Edited by Coopdog, 24 October 2020 - 10:08 AM.

• tregar, wildedibles, Baphom3t and 1 other like this

#20 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,210 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2020 - 10:22 AM

Mixed with some blowfish, this plant partly explains the foundation of the religion of Voodoo, according to some.  Its said that this combination was spread out on the doorstep of an enemy, who when walking over it in bare feet, will dose themselves into a trance that makes them appear dead.  Enough so that they are buried alive and dug up again, taken to the other side of the island and enslaved from then on, because they will not remember anything but the most basic life skills; making them a willing slave to whoever dug them up before they suffocated to death.  Good ol' voodoo.  A religion sprung up around this dark knowledge because no one wanted to be made a mindless slave, and the only protection it would seem, was cutting off rooster heads and not making enemies.     

• Coopdog, dead head jed, wildedibles and 3 others like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!