• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 03:24 AM

Hi, I'm a newb here, and going through my first monotubs, my first cultivation ever. It's been a journey to even get to this point, and I'm grateful to be accepted as a part of this community.

However, I just an hour ago noticed some nasty greenies on my monotub vermiculite casing. It's not huge, but a bit spread over a small area. Do you think there's something to be done to save this baby, or should I just toss it and make a new one?

Couldn't get it all on to the picture, but it's small, separate patches. If I just take it out and continue fruiting it, do you think it has any chances of survival? Any other thoughts about salvaging the fruiting?

I tried to attach a picture, but somehow it's not working properly. Maybe a new user restriction? Gonna try it out at the test ground.

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,608 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:30 AM

Welcome ericcapton !

After 2 more posts here, we can move this over to the mushroom forums for you, as you will then be a free member.

I know the "how to's" can be a bit confusing at first. This is a step by step on posting pictures here:

https://mycotopia.ne...ly-to-the-site/

• ericcapton likes this

#3 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 09:29 AM

Welcome ericcapton !

After 2 more posts here, we can move this over to the mushroom forums for you, as you will then be a free member.

I know the "how to's" can be a bit confusing at first. This is a step by step on posting pictures here:

https://mycotopia.ne...ly-to-the-site/

Thanks! I laready introduced myself in the introduction thread, since I though that's where it belongs to not crowd this forum with introductions, so there's probably already two, if replies are counted in!

Anyhow, I did go through the how to, but somehow my file wasn't attached. It might have to do with my privacy addons. I select the file, and cilc "Attach This File". There's a rolling icon, and then it disappears, and nothing happens. I tried the old uploader, since I do not have Flash, but it did not help.  Idisabled the Ublock Origin, but id didn't help either.

Anyhow, I'm seriously considering just tossing it, since I have no suitable space to isolate it and outdoor temps are lethal to myc here, I don't want it to spread its sperm all over the house.

#4 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 812 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 11:40 AM

Any time I ever tried casing with vermiculite I got trich. If you can see a couple of spots I bet theres more underneath. Toss it and make a new one.
  • PJammer24 likes this

#5 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 01:49 PM

Any time I ever tried casing with vermiculite I got trich. If you can see a couple of spots I bet theres more underneath. Toss it and make a new one.

I'll take this as an advice and be wiser in the future. My friend used verm for casin a long time ago, but he had 6-8mo old garden/bio compost as a sub. He got splendid results and like 10 flushes, before he had too much and needed to throw the sub away due to his house being littered with drying cubes, without contamination, but of course everything else was different too. I'll just go casingless next time, as afaik it's not necessary.

#6 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 812 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 05:48 PM

Casing with verm CAN work just when I did it i didnt have the skills to be casing. If you are new i would definitely suggest not casing so you can get a feel for what healthy growth looks like. I stopped even rolling my cakes in very just so i can gauge their health a little better and catch contaminates earlier.
  • ericcapton likes this

#7 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 06:01 PM

Casing with verm CAN work just when I did it i didnt have the skills to be casing. If you are new i would definitely suggest not casing so you can get a feel for what healthy growth looks like. I stopped even rolling my cakes in very just so i can gauge their health a little better and catch contaminates earlier.

This is good advice. I was thinking myself after they started pinning that I shouldn't have cased - I was late from fruiting them due to not having the experience to tell the signs, and now there's some early growers that didn't get a good start due to lack of FAE. I'm definitely not going to case the next one I make. Thanks!

#8 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,478 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2020 - 08:54 AM

I would not even mess with a casing layer when doing bulk substrate for cubes...  Casing is completely unnecessary when using bulk substrates with cubes. It is needed for other strains or when doing cased grain, an old school method that you do not see much any more, but not with the cubes.

• ericcapton likes this

#9 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:29 PM

I would not even mess with a casing layer when doing bulk substrate for cubes...  Casing is completely unnecessary when using bulk substrates with cubes. It is needed for other strains or when doing cased grain, an old school method that you do not see much any more, but not with the cubes.

Hear, hear! I thought about that after the fact actually, I've been informed now, thanks! I'll just keep my casings in a plastic container for now until I start to grow some for food, I bet everything will go more smoothly. Thanks for the advice!

Oh boy now I got interested in growing some for food. Gotta hold it back until a time when I have more time on my hands.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!