Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

What's the point size limit of uploaded pics at Mycotopia?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 04:12 PM

I see that Mycotopia forums reject an attached picture that it thinks is too large in points (pixels, on screen based medium). I understand that this must stem from the fact that the forum doesn't scale the picture to the browser windows or screen, making the zoomed in thumbnails, full size photos, appear inconveniently large on some screens.

What's the maximum size of an uploaded picture here? I'm not asking to make my pictures as large as possible, but to know if I need to resize some if they extend a certain dimension. I didn't see this mentioned in the guide, sorry if I missed it.

I guess if we want to be polite to other users the pictures shouldn't extend 1280p width, for compatibility with displays of previous generations.

• Skywatcher likes this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,113 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 04:49 PM

Generally I  bring my photos down to 800x533, it works very well with the site

• Skywatcher likes this

#3 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,529 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 04:56 PM

Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 3.53.25 PM.png

• jrh likes this

#4 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 05:33 PM

@coorsmikey Thanks, and sorry, I wasn't being perfectly clear I see. I mean the pixel dimensions, not the megabyte size. I had an image of 7.7Mb that was rejected. I then downscaled it to 2000 pixels wide from 6001 pixels, and the system accepted it.

It was not over 20Mb of size, so the rejection had to come from the pixel dimensions, unless I misunderstood something.

e_I'd like to add that this repeated with images less than 3Mb of size that my software failed to downscale for some reason. When they were downscaled, they uploaded without problems.

@Juthro That makes sense, I'll just follow that advice and bound them to those dimensions. Thanks!

Edited by ericcapton, 04 October 2020 - 05:39 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,113 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 07:29 PM

That number is easy for me, as I shoot a lot of photos.  The full size for my camera is 6000x4000 pixels,  and the site will take that size, but it slows everything down and wont fit on a screen anyway.   So  I just use MS Paint on a laptop, and then resize from the 6000 to 800, if the 'keep aspect ratio the same' button is clicked, then that is the only adjustment you would need to make.

BTW, welcome to the topia :)  I'm looking forward to seeing your pics, friend :)

Here is a resized pic, for education purposes only (and not because I'm a thread whore, and like to show off my pic's, lol)

post-136504-0-09478300-1601857769.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0090v3.1.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 04 October 2020 - 07:31 PM.

#6 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,608 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2020 - 08:33 AM

If you are wanting the ideal full size to fit the post, go to a resolution of 72, and don't exceed a width of 800.

I wish more people would ask this question. To me it is an exercise in frustration when people load immense pictures that you want to see better, but can't get more than 1/8th on the screen, and panning around just does not work aestheticly.....

Welcome again ericcapton  !

#7 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:25 PM

@Juthro A magical photo. My photography passions have been with people, and unfortunately due to laws the ones that have been the best I haven't been able to put online. I rarely get excited about a landscape pic as much as pictures that describe humanity going through the times, but this one really warms my heart. Thanks for sharing! I'll sure put some here when I'll have something to show off with lol

@Skywatcher I couldn't agree more, maybe this would even be a worthy notion in the upload box. I get it that it's not about the max size, but the suitable size, due to the reasons I described in the initial post.

btw. the hard limit seems to be at 6000px exactly. Let's just wish nobody ever posts that big photos here, but resizes them to 800px as long as the backend won't force it. Thanks for welcoming me here, I'll do my best to be a worthy member!

• Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!