Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts about this style of ample cake fruiting chamber?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 05:22 PM

I found some use for my leftover sub from monotubs and threw it into a small plastic storage box to make a humongous cake tek out of it. Now I need to fruit it, and I decided to put two bigger, same style boxes on top of each other.

I know that most of the time people just drill the shit out of the boxes to make those GE holes. I might still want to use those boxes later on, and drilling and tidying those holes is a lot of work, and I prefer time optimized solutions now.

So I thought I'd just line the top of the lower box with 2cm F5 filter fabric and use that for GE, so that the filter would run all around the top ridge of the box and the other box would sit on the top of it, like in the picture.

The larger boxes are 14.8 cm deep, forming 31.6 cm of chamber height with the filter. With 7cm deep cake and about 3cm perlite on bottom that should leave 21.6 cm vertical room for growth, which should suffice I believe.

What do you think? CO2 is heavier than air, do you think I would need some GE holes lower to the fruiting chamber. The GE would happen 5.8 cm above the top of the cake.

There's some pics for illustration, one of the smaller box. I'm going to use its lid to mount the cake on it on top of the perlite layer to not make it dirty, I want to reuse it. The smaller box is there inside the larger boxes for illustration purposes to give an idea of the size difference.

Attached Thumbnails

• _DSC0060.jpg
  • _DSC0062.jpg

Edited by ericcapton, 04 October 2020 - 05:22 PM.

#2 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 05:27 PM

I recently grew a batch with this method. It worked fine, but I wouldn't use it regularly. I would either use each tub on its own with an inch or two of sub each. Or a regular style FC.

FAE and RH were a bit of a struggle for me. I do really like the aquarium pump w/ a bubble jar. Little to no fanning, and very little misting is needed.
  • ericcapton likes this

#3 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 05:52 PM

I recently grew a batch with this method. It worked fine, but I wouldn't use it regularly. I would either use each tub on its own with an inch or two of sub each. Or a regular style FC.

FAE and RH were a bit of a struggle for me. I do really like the aquarium pump w/ a bubble jar. Little to no fanning, and very little misting is needed.

I'm going to think if I can make a miniature monotubs later on for leftover subs. I really do like the idea of pump & bubble jar! I need to see if I can use it though, it's going to sit in a closet in a room where I'm sleeping, and too much noise could just be too distracting. I've never heard of this tek before though, so thanks for opening up possibilities for me. I'll have a look!

So maybe I'm going to try to warm up the perlite water before throwing it to the bottom to make it evaporate more and bring the RH up when the air cools down inside of the chamber. The cake is fully moist and in monotub-like conditions now regarding RH, so it shouldn't need any pre-dunking. I can adjust the FAE by making the filter less thick horizontally, or thicker vertically and choosing more porous filter, like M4 or so. Thanks for your experience, I was worried I'd make too much FAE by lining it all around and the cake would dry out, but it seems it could be quite the opposite. I'm actually aiming at monotube-ish solution here that would require little fanning, but I don't know how it's going to work out.

• HrVanker likes this

#4 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 780 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 06:04 PM

Are you familiar with dubtubs?
gallery_150062_1672_296846.jpg
  • coorsmikey, Arathu, Baphom3t and 1 other like this

#5 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 06:11 PM

Are you familiar with dubtubs?

Nope. Time to study up! Any pointers before I dive in that aren't obvious when reading?

e_These seem to be much like what I'm after, only with a cake. I guess it won't matter if it's a cake or a fully covered bottom. I'm only trying to avoid the drilling out of laziness, time constraints and the possibility to reuse the boxes for other purposes. I'm gonna end up with a pile of drilled boxes lol. But if this is the best way to do it, I'll just have to take the drill and drill.

I was thinking of getting the FAE from a filter layer instead of those holes. I haven't found anyone trying it out yet, thus I thought to ask.

Nice grow there btw. Makes me excited!

Edited by ericcapton, 04 October 2020 - 06:17 PM.

#6 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 06:12 PM

If you need heat, an aquarium heater is the way to go. I used a setup that had the heater submerged in the perlite. Just be sure to keep it underwater, or it will burn out. Which can be dangerous. You can also use a 2l bottle filled w/ water, cut the top off so that it's just big enough for the heater, and silicone around the seam to seal the heater in the bottle.

They sell quiet Aquarium pumps, and if it's in the closet it should sound like a low hum.
  • ericcapton likes this

#7 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 780 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 06:13 PM

Difficult to say without knowing your skill level or what teks you are currently using.

Most people use 6qt shoeboxes for dubtubs.

How much "leftovers" are we talking about?
  • ericcapton likes this

#8 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 06:49 PM

Difficult to say without knowing your skill level or what teks you are currently using.

Most people use 6qt shoeboxes for dubtubs.

How much "leftovers" are we talking about?

I've studied a lot. I mean, a lot. I just recently put my knowledge to use for the first time though, and went straight to two monotubs. Other got some greenery, other is doing fantastic, only that my lack of experience made me miss the perfect fruiting time and led to couple of non-synchronized, weird mutant-ish shrooms that started to do much better when I increased the FAE to trigger pinning in large.

My tubs take 7-8 liters of sub. I'm quite bad at imperial units, but when I convert 6qt to liters they tell me it's around 7 liters. I guess those boxes I'm describing here would be quite equal to 6qt boxes, so this has to be the famous 6qt shoe box tek that made them popular.

One coco brick gives me like 4 liters too much pasteurized hpoo-cocosub for 2 monotubs that I can use to make one 6qt dub ub. That would probably be the easiest way to go for in the future if I can't make a cake tek do it for me in an easy manner. I prefer multiple units, if one gets some alien life the others may still survive.

I mean, I know a lot already, and I'm not the dumbest guy out there. I got from zero to RBF->monotub relatively easily just by reading up. Starting with PF just seemed unnecessary, since it's almost the same, just more work for an unit of produce in the long run. I guess the caveats are at aseptic technique, and I run HEPA filters in the spaces I'm working in, or work inside a still air box. I've never had a grain jar contaminate, except that one that was inoculated with spores that didn't start with other jars and I forgot it to a closet for five months.

So I kinda think I can make anything work that can be done in normal home environment without a flow hood (still only a plan) or any special setups.

Edited by ericcapton, 04 October 2020 - 06:51 PM.

#9 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 06:59 PM

If you need heat, an aquarium heater is the way to go. I used a setup that had the heater submerged in the perlite. Just be sure to keep it underwater, or it will burn out. Which can be dangerous. You can also use a 2l bottle filled w/ water, cut the top off so that it's just big enough for the heater, and silicone around the seam to seal the heater in the bottle.

They sell quiet Aquarium pumps, and if it's in the closet it should sound like a low hum.

I'll have to dig into these. I'm quite interested in all the possibilities I might have, I love this creative work. I actually study something related to culturing things for food, and this mycelium thing is just fantastic. I've read that drop in temperature and RH do trigger pinnig along with CO2 drop (unless that's outdated info, haven't checked yet), so I guess I'd need to start higher than what would be there when the heater was there. It won't need much to increase evaporation though, so if I need to increase the humidity it could work if the pinnig is already well underway or if it's not hugely powerful. Since it's for aquarium I guess it won't make it boil, since that would turn them into neon tetra soup. Good inspiration, thanks!

#10 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 780 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 07:00 PM

In dubtubs I use 2 quarts of grain to 4 quarts of substrate.
  • ericcapton likes this

#11 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 07:07 PM

In dubtubs I use 2 quarts of grain to 4 quarts of substrate.

Seems like perfect fit. I'll think I'll do this one too in the future just to have done everything and then decide what to use in the long run.

Gotta hit the sheets now, will check back tomorrow! This is truely an awesome forum.

#12 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 780 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 07:09 PM

You shouldn't need heating unless you are fruiting in sub 60*F temps.

I colonize and fruit in the same ambient temps.
  • coorsmikey, Baphom3t, HrVanker and 1 other like this

#13 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 07:09 PM

I'll have to dig into these. I'm quite interested in all the possibilities I might have, I love this creative work. I actually study something related to culturing things for food, and this mycelium thing is just fantastic. I've read that drop in temperature and RH do trigger pinnig along with CO2 drop (unless that's outdated info, haven't checked yet), so I guess I'd need to start higher than what would be there when the heater was there. It won't need much to increase evaporation though, so if I need to increase the humidity it could work if the pinnig is already well underway or if it's not hugely powerful. Since it's for aquarium I guess it won't make it boil, since that would turn them into neon tetra soup. Good inspiration, thanks!
Years ago people were into "cold shocking" their subs to initiate pinning. But that has pretty much gone by the wayside. Nowadays evaporation and an increase in O² are the generally accepted pinning triggers.
  • pastyoureyes and ericcapton like this

#14 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 780 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 07:19 PM

I think there are some species that benefit from cold shocking.

If I dunk it's always in cold water. Not to cold shock but because dunking in room temp water seems to be more inviting to competitors.
  • HrVanker and ericcapton like this

#15 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 07:29 PM

I think there are some species that benefit from cold shocking.

If I dunk it's always in cold water. Not to cold shock but because dunking in room temp water seems to be more inviting to competitors.

Tap-cold water is probably a bit of a safeguard from contamination. Though you could always just add some peroxide or bleach.

I'm sure that there are other species which do benefit from cold-shock. But considering cubes' preferred climate, I think it's safe to say that they a cold-shock would only set them back.
  • ericcapton likes this

#16 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 780 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 07:38 PM

@Baphom3t is currently fruiting bags that have been stored in the fridge for months so it may not be as much of a setback as you think. They just kinda go dormant.
  • Baphom3t likes this

#17 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:34 PM

Interesting!

So @HrVanker whddya say, how much of 3% peroxide would you use to dunk what size of a sub? I'd be interested if that really keeps the flushes coming for a longer time!

@pastyoureyes Thanks for the idea of storing some in the fridge. Maybe I could try that with spawn jars that I don't have the time to turn into a monotub or transfer them in a timely manner!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!