• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 PuRpLeSuNriSe

PuRpLeSuNriSe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:05 PM

Getting some LW seeds coming in from koehres and was wondering if anyone knew where a beginner grower like myself would start? How do you germinate and plant LW? What soil do you guys use? Thanks for you guidance and much love
  • Boebs and elephantshoes like this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,107 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:08 PM

I just use some river sand or play sand from the local home improvement warehouse supplemented with some cactus soil from the same store. I get it wet and nuke the shit out of in the microwave in a half ass attempt to sterilize/pasteurize the mix. Put it an a small container with a lid that doesn't seal airtight but will keep the humidity up. Those small Jiffy seed starter trays work well but have even used cling wrap on a Tupperware dish too with good results. Put the seed on the top of the soil and lightly push with your finger so the make good contact. 

What ever container you choose take your time as the baby lophs will be in there for a long time even when you take the lid off to harden them up. Depending on how well they do, it may be a year to three before you are transplanting to bigger pot of their own and hopefully in pairs or more. Take your time and read lots of posts here if you can before committing, don't just go on my word. If successful these may just be your lil babies for the next few decades.

I have 5 year olds that are the size of a pea that are in richer high quality soils. I have two year olds that are in crappy sand that are the size of a quarter. They seem to like minerals over nutrients if that makes sense. Even if you germinate on the fly, take your time and read what others use in their soil mix.

Oh and yeah they will need to be in the humidity dome for 3mo to a year. That means you will have to keep it relatively contaminated free for that time until you harden off. Another good reason to consider a low nute and sandy mix.

Edited by coorsmikey, 24 October 2020 - 08:31 AM.

• Skywatcher, Boebs and elephantshoes like this

#3 PuRpLeSuNriSe

PuRpLeSuNriSe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 07:36 PM

Thanks buddy I appreciate the tip. I should be getting those seeds in the next week or so. Trying to get prepared so I can germinate them as soon as they get here. I'll keep yall posted!
  • Sicshroom likes this

#4 psilyguy808

psilyguy808

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 139 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2020 - 02:07 PM

Make sure your soil is deep enough, at least an inch, they have a tap root like a carrot. If it's too shallow they will start pushing themselves out of the soil and you will have to transplant too soon. I would give an 1.5"-2" and like coorsmikey said, sterilize that soil. 5be22bded88a91674160101228a1baab.jpg
  • Skywatcher and elephantshoes like this

#5 PuRpLeSuNriSe

PuRpLeSuNriSe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:55 PM

What equipment are you guys using to germinate?

#6 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,920 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:52 PM

My personal preference is a small 10 gallon fish tank with clear lids. I use a small reptile heat mat on the underside, fill the tank with

1 and 1/2" of washed aquarium gravel, and place the pots with the sterilized soil mix on top of that. The gravel, with some water added diffuses the heat more evenly, and also maintains a high humidity level in the tank.

I use a fluorescent grow bulb only at first, and add a full spectrum fluorescent reptile bulb later on.

With two clear acrylic lids, I can easily do an air exchange daily, and when it gets months down the line, slowly start to leave them a little apart to gradually reduce the humidity during the acclimation period.

• elephantshoes likes this

#7 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 729 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:36 PM

Listen to Sky he has helped me tremendously, his knowledge and patience is unwavering! Eyes to see and ears to hear. Best of luck!! (Not discounting any other posters). Once you get an understanding of there traits and what environment they enjoy it will
Become second nature. Read read read read.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#8 Mycol

Mycol

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:04 PM

I mean I TOTALLY know what LW stands for but you might want to spell it out for all the other guys that aren’t in the know like us guys .
  • greenskeeper likes this

#9 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,160 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:18 PM

Long willy:)
  • Skywatcher, psilyguy808, Mycol and 1 other like this

#10 PuRpLeSuNriSe

PuRpLeSuNriSe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:01 AM

Lmao @ long willy

Any of you guys ever use B1 cactus root accelerator? Does it work and how the hell can I get some. Seems hard to come upon.
  • Boebs and psilyguy808 like this

#11 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,160 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:07 AM

Ive never used it,
It seems walmart sells it online

Liquinox Western States Vitamin B-1 1gal - Walmart.com - Walmart.com
https://www.walmart....QQaAlqpEALw_wcB

Ive only ever used the typical root hormone powder used for cloning most other plants.
I like to use cinnamon most of the time, its antibacterial and antifungal, also a root stimulator.
  • Skywatcher, psilyguy808 and Choices like this

#12 PuRpLeSuNriSe

PuRpLeSuNriSe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 11:55 AM

Will any kind of cinnamon work? Should I mix ground cinnamon with the soil I make for germination?

#13 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,920 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2020 - 04:25 PM

I also use cinnamon to heal and prevent rot, especially on fresh cuts. I was not aware cinnamon had any root stimulation properties Boebs, this is good to know...........

• Boebs, Moonless, elephantshoes and 1 other like this

#14 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,160 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2020 - 05:09 PM

You want pure cinnamon. Some pre ground types have flavor additives.
Best results grind your own stix to dust

Idk if mixing in with soil for germination would benefit much. I do dust some of my soil with cinnamon tho, stops some bugs from laying eggs in there.
Although it is definitely not a bad idea.
I will try this on my next sow of seeds.
I have a bunch to spare so it if makes a failure its not a complete loss to me.

Edited by Boebs, 25 October 2020 - 05:11 PM.

• coorsmikey and Skywatcher like this

#15 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 334 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 01:25 PM

I don’t know if it’s the same but I have heard aloe Vera is a good root hormone if that’s what we’re talking about. Not sure how that would apply to this specific situation I don’t know if you had some lying around and could dry the gel and scrape up the remains if that would work the same. Just thinking out loud. I must research it.

Edited by Celestialexplorer1, 29 October 2020 - 01:26 PM.

• Boebs likes this

#16 elephantshoes

elephantshoes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 08:57 PM

Hello all:

I have 20 or so precious seeds so am here looking for ways not to screw this up. 

I'll be using the recommended sterile soil/sand mix and the fish tank chamber.

I don't understand how the two lids and air exchange works....would you have a photo to show what you mean @Skywatcher and what is the ideal temp and humidity going to be?
many thanks
20210402_194642.jpg

• Skywatcher likes this

#17 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,107 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:44 PM

Man I just put them in a container of sterile soil that has a lid or a dome, then stick em in a south facing dome. Germination is easy peasy, its after you attempt to harden them off and the next 15 years is the tricky part. Keep it simple in the beginning and don't try to reinvent the wheel science. The more complicated you make the more complicated it gets. Learning when to water and when not to, when to fertilize and how much light to give is the time you will kill the most lophs.  You think the seed are precious? How are you gonna feel when you have 20 seedlings?

#18 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 552 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2021 - 02:22 AM

Everything been said I want to mention the seeds like it warm. The seedlings also. I keep mine at 90F day and night. It increases germination rate. Later on you may keep them a bit cooler. Lophs tend to rot, and they like direct sunlight when they are about to germinate but not after that anymore.

#19 elephantshoes

elephantshoes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 04:05 AM

thank you both. exactly what i needed to hear. i'm up in the frozen north so they're far from home and i would've started them too soon. last frost still 6 weeks away, ambient room temp still way below 90F. one less thing to worry about if i wait a bit longer. 

• Skywatcher likes this

#20 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,920 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:30 AM

The lids are pretty simple, just two long pieces over the top. Air exchange is happening anytime you open it up and I do that at least once a day. After a month or so, I start the acclimation process by leaving the two lids open a crack at first, and week by week open it a little wider until the humidity is the same as the ambient room levels.

For germination I aim for a temperature of 80 to 90 F, no lower than 75 at night in the dark. High temps are prefered. Humidity I keep at near full saturation.

85% to 95%

Good grow vibes to you elephantshoes !

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!