4 replies to this topic

#1 Chytrid

Chytrid

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 04:40 AM

Hello,

I am designing an experiment to grow Pleurotus spp. with cigarette filters either embedded or chopped and mixed in the growth medium.

I'm looking for ideas for a solid growth medium that has no added carbon source, the cigarette filter will be only the carbon source.

So far I can only think of gelatine, however I think it may melt at higher incubation temps.

Any ideas welcome!

Cheers,

#2 FunG

FunG

"Trump 2021"

• Free Member
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 09:16 PM

I'm shrugging here cause you want suitable substrate median for growth of something other then p.cubensis which is far outside my scope but if it likes cigarette filters then they would probably like cotton.

Q-tips?

#3 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 812 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2020 - 12:59 PM

Vermiculite?

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,478 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2020 - 03:49 PM

Oysters will colonize a wide range of mediums... They are pretty voracious... That being said, I hope that these filters have not been used? Although there is likely little to no different in the product finally harvested, the idea of cultivating table mushrooms on used cigarette butts is kinda gross to me...

I guess if they were my cigarette butts it would be a little more appetizing... Considering I am down to 1 pack every three days from a time when I was at more than a pack a day, It would be tough to do this using my butts alone... I may have to pass on this tek but good luck!!

#5 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 812 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2020 - 03:41 PM

It's been done. Training the myc to eat unused filters first and then used filters.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!