7 replies to this topic

#1 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 02:57 PM

Hi,

My 1st monotub, and it's doing great, but I missed the perfect fruiting time - it started to fruit partially before I moved it to fruiting conditions, leading to extremely asynchronous growth. There's one monstrous mushroom that extended rapidly to the point where I would need to twist it off right now, but there's a lot of very small ones and some pins still.

What's your advice for this 1st flush harvest? I'd imagine picking some and letting others still grow would ask for contamination. Could I somehow fight that somehow? Would it be too risky to take some out now and others later, considering I'm working in normal home conditions, not in an aseptic environment?

So either:

1. pick them all up, dunk, and fruit again or

2. pick the most mature ones, wait for day or two, pick the rest, then dunk and to the second flush we go or

3. just pick them as they mature and hope for the best

I'm asking b/c I'm sort of time to dig the info for hours from the depths of the internet. I've looked it up, but I don't see much discussion on this kind of cases. Do you have experience on this kind of a grow? I guess the next flush will be much better synchronized. My monotub is sadly cased with verm, but I'm gonna try to rinse off as much as I can for the second flush. Baybe that layer could catch some contamination as well.

Btw. I'm growing Golden Teachers, for what it matters.

Edited by ericcapton, 07 October 2020 - 03:04 PM.

#2 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 244 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2020 - 03:59 PM

Pick them as they mature. You will likely find that you pick a few and then 8 hours later the rest that haven't aborted are ready to pick. Also, we love seeing photos (because seeing photos of mushrooms is always great and they are helpful for us to see what's going).

#3 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 04:11 PM

Pick them as they mature. You will likely find that you pick a few and then 8 hours later the rest that haven't aborted are ready to pick. Also, we love seeing photos (because seeing photos of mushrooms is always great and they are helpful for us to see what's going).

Will do right after my academic duties!

• Nicked likes this

#4 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:10 PM

Here ya go.

Now that I think of it, it might be that the side that started to grow first got some light leakage. I had to keep my spawn jars in the same closet with the tubs, and thus I needed to open the doors when I did some g2g transfers and monitored their growth every now and then, triggering fruiting on that side. The casing might be too thick where the pins haven't started to show yet, and there's new pins popping up here and there sporadically all the time. Not the densest grow, but hey, it's my first one ever.

Even though it's 100% healthy and those shrooms seem to grow quite big I think I have to make some more room here to keep my tubs in the dark and with the next one I'm def not gonna case it.

It's gonna take like a week for that flush to finish at least. I don't mind picking them up every now and then, but I really don't want to grow any thing  there that doesn't belong there. That's why I'm considering just re-flushing it after the ones that are well on the way have matured to the harvesting condition.

But first I'm just gonna listen to the people who know it better here.

Attached Thumbnails

• weirdly-asynchronous-monotub.jpg

• Arathu likes this

#5 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,301 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:40 PM

That looks like a fairly typical flush of mushrooms to me...harvest as they mature to avoid purple black, things, happening.....

Nice grow......as a side observation you might not want to over complicate it.....but.... If you need advanced homework start fiddling with agar if you haven't already....

Try to isolate genetics by cloning from the nicest clusters in your flushes...grow those out and...shoot for canopies.....

Just a thought....... :thumbs_up:

A

• coorsmikey and ericcapton like this

#6 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 07:11 PM

That looks like a fairly typical flush of mushrooms to me...harvest as they mature to avoid purple black, things, happening.....

Nice grow......as a side observation you might not want to over complicate it.....but.... If you need advanced homework start fiddling with agar if you haven't already....

Try to isolate genetics by cloning from the nicest clusters in your flushes...grow those out and...shoot for canopies.....

Just a thought....... :thumbs_up:

A

Actually I just spent half an hour sourcing for petri dishes, agar, malt extract, glass bottles and designing sterilization process. So I wholeheartedly do agree. I wish they sold ready made flow hoods here somewhere, it's not that easy to find a space and time to work on it, and doing it in SAB seems a bit tedious - but good planning should do it.

I already read frank's master slant post, doesn't seem too complicated. Now I only need to order those dishes online, since they don't sell them here in any stores, only b2b net markets. Doh.

Well, learn it once, know it for lifetime. Canopies here I come!

• Arathu likes this

#7 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,383 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2020 - 08:31 PM

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 7.31.21 PM.png

Sterilization is easy, no need to design a new wheel when the old wheel works great.

There are flow hoods available preassembled tools-for-air-filtration

Edited by coorsmikey, 07 October 2020 - 08:36 PM.

• ericcapton likes this

#8 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 09:08 PM

&&0){for(var>)throw>Sterilization is easy, no need to design a new wheel when the old wheel works great.

There are flow hoods available preassembled tools-for-air-filtration

You're right. I wasn't being clear - I was planning on how to do it the most easy way, either get petri dishes made of glass and pour agar into them and sterilize them as ready to use, sealing them with parafilm, or sterilize the agar in glass bottles and then use SAB. I can't probably get away with sterilizing the agar in bottles if I want to make more than I'm using at once, but I'm trying to think if I can sterilize the petri dishes, since that would essentially eliminate any worries about airborne contaminants. Working in SAB is not my favorite, but now that I'm gonna start to disinfect inside it with peroxide mist before the use it should be safer and easier.

Gotta start dropping dimes in the jar for that flow hood. Good to know they're available! With that price it's cheaper to take a day off from work and put it together somewhere myself though. If I could sell one for 700 I would be happy to make a side business of constructing them - so why not. I'll just make a prototype, and then I'm open for orders. Thanks for the link anyway! As they say here, things are expensive for poor people, but for the rest they cost the same.

Btw. I just picked my first self-grown mushrooms. This is a great day! Thanks for your insight everyone!

Edited by ericcapton, 07 October 2020 - 09:12 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!