• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 277 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 03:16 PM

I've become increasingly interested in Fungi identification over the years. I do love eating mushrooms, but I'd like to ID mushrooms more as a hobby. I am fascinated by Fungi, and really want to do this for personal enjoyment, and relaxation. My question is what equipment, and chemicals are recommended to do this properly? I realize there are many chemicals. I guess I'm more interested in field testing. So in line with that last statement, what would be a practical assortment(equipment, and chemicals)to bring along in my truck? What power microscope, what power loop, and chemical, and reagent kits would be beneficial? Basically everything an amateur mycologist may bring with them on a fungi ID trip.

#2 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 521 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2020 - 09:21 AM

A good microscope with x1000 for sure. The basic requirements for identifying them are first you look at the whole mushroom, doing this your looking for how the spores are delivered, as far as im aware no toothed mushrooms(lions mane) are poisonous, if it has pores then it depends on if it has a stem. You look for brusing or bleeding in the stem. You also need foil and a dome that can handle some humidity to take a spore print. Swabing spores to a slide and examine them under the microscope. Those key points are how to identify. I too love the hunt, I keep a baseball card book with both laminated spore prints and usable prints if most things I find. Always be on the look out for chicken of the woods, reishi, turkey tail, lions mane, and wild oysters I find them commonly in 3 of 4 seasons where I live. Different areas around me in about 120 mile radius I find the same species fruiting in different weather conditions
  • phlegmbae likes this

#3 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,379 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2020 - 09:37 AM

Microscope with multiple objectives - 10x, 40x, and a 100x oil immersion objective.

Cargille immersion oil - type B.  This is a high-viscosity immersion oil for your 100x objective.

You'll also want various stains. I use methylene blue for staining the walls of dead cells. You can use eocyn y for staining internal cellular structures. Both of these stains are very popular with folks who work with yeast.

Pipettes and pipette pumps - disposable or re-usable - can be pretty handy.

I also like to keep some graduated conical-tipped centrifuge tubes for diluting samples and such.

A nice test-tube rack is very useful for keeping your samples and solutions lined up for easy access.

Keep calm and love science!

• phlegmbae and Sicshroom like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!