• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Amped313

Amped313

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 10:53 PM

Switch the whole Covid thing messing up all imports and people doing more sanitizing, I can neither find them on they are ridiculous in price. This time last year they were like $56 and now like $100. If anyone knows of a place I would appreciate it thanks all be well
  • Misfit likes this

#2 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 11:32 PM

There was nothing in my local Walmart for anything canning related.

#3 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 11:34 PM

Following also. Was in the market for a second one possibly.

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,906 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2020 - 02:22 AM

I think it's more of a result of the failed trade war then COVID, but it doesn't really matter in the end, either way canners, and canning supplies are a rare commodity right now.  I sincerely wish you good luck finding one, and if I stumble across anything, I'll list it here.

Love, and light.

• Arathu likes this

#5 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,301 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2020 - 04:42 AM

I might have to go on a seek and grab mission (meaning thrift stores, yard sales, and flea markets).....an enterprising individual could make a serious dollar or two....

They are quite difficult to come by for sure......you know....in these unprecedented times.......

Specifically why we need to NOT rely on governments for commerce....I guess the private sector has gone completely limp....

Or has decided that the end is near...... the election draws closer and closer....

If I find something I'll post here too....good luck!

A

Edited by Arathu, 08 October 2020 - 04:43 AM.

• Mrs.Hippie3 and Juthro like this

#6 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:32 AM

Another major point and I’m sure you guys have considered is a ton of people are at home and gardening which is also upping the canning
  • Arathu and Juthro like this

#7 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,906 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2020 - 02:44 PM

Another major point and I’m sure you guys have considered is a ton of people are at home and gardening which is also upping the canning

I think its a combination,  the supplies we had here in country were gobbled up at an unheard of rate due to people trying to get some food supply security by canning, and at the same time restrictions due to politics, and diseases have prevented the the wheels of foreign industry from replacing them.  Congrats on your 1000th post, Misfit, it's been good having you here  :hug:

I was looking online a little bit last night, and saw a new AA 921 going for just under $600  :ohmy:   That is F'ing crazy.  It seems that IF you can find any brand of PC, they are running between 3 and 4 times the price that we were used to.

Edited by Juthro, 08 October 2020 - 04:19 PM.

• Misfit likes this

#8 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 07:59 PM

ACE hardware I got mine for $100 and I found 1/2 pint wide mouths.
  • Arathu and Juthro like this

#9 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 10:52 PM

Thanks [mention]Juthro [/mention] I was a bit busy the last year but am trying to be more available.
  • Juthro likes this

#10 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2020 - 09:20 AM

I was looking the other day and I saw some generic ones that appear to be the same as the Presto... I think it was on Amazon where I saw it. I do think they were around $100 but considering most of the Prestos I have seen are $120 (double the usual price since I usually see them around $60) and in some cases more, $100 really does not sound all that bad given the current market...

I did find another brand recently. They said they were not currently available when I was on Amazon and that if you order them, they will ship when available. I ordered two and received them approximately 2 weeks later. My buddy borrowed them since his cookers, or at least one of them, developed a leak through the bottom of the unit which I have never seen happen before... These new ones do not have a pressure gauge, which is ok with me since they eventually stop working accurately any way. I typically just gauge pressure using the rocker. The problem with this units, they are Mirro brand I believe, are said to be at temp when the rocking reaches increments of 45 seconds between each rock... If you decide to invest in one of these units, I would run them a little hotter than is suggested and potentially a little longer. Granted, it was with the cheapest available bird seed which was clearly not as clean as other grains, but more than half of the king oyster spawn I ran with them and also more than half of the Maitake spawn I ran went bad... If it had just been the bird seed, I could have chalked it to using the cheapest brand since it was really dirty but when the sawdust spawn started going to I began to give it more thought... Both cheap seed and sawdust could potentially require more thorough sterilization since unlike some other grains, there are less controls regarding their preparation and they can/will often have a higher number of spores in the mix than food and feed grade grains... I lent the units to my buddy prior to giving them a second try but I would suggest running 15-20 minutes longer and running them a little hotter so that the rocker is rocking more often than once every 45 seconds as the directions suggest...

Depending what issues you  guys have had with your existing presto units, if that is what you have been using, there are replacement parts readily available still I believe. You could easily replace the gasket, pressure gauge, rocker, etc... I felt comfortable lending those newer units to my buddy since I had ordered new gaskets for the prestos I have... The pressure gauge on the one still needs to be replaced but I have used Presto units with great success over the years even when the pressure gauge is completely useless... I have used All American units with broken gauges also, it is no big deal really.

I realize this is a little more than the $60-80 you typically see with the Presto units but here is a site with units being sold for $100 which is a pretty good price at the moment. I have never purchased anything from this site so you may wanna do a little research and see if there are any poor reviews. I very quickly did a search and apparently they are an Amazon seller and have 95% positive feedback... Here is a link to the Presto units on their site...

https://whiteheadind...AyABEgIYpPD_BwE

#11 Amped313

Amped313

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 11:12 AM

Thanks all found it at Ace for a hundred as mentioned here's those link if any one is interested. A bit.steep for my wallet at the moment but. Cheers all the same !!

https://www.acehardw.../cookware/68534

#12 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 780 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2020 - 12:27 PM

Check ebay in 6-12 months. Deals will be had for sure

Edited by pastyoureyes, 09 October 2020 - 12:28 PM.

#13 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 218 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:04 AM

The Mirro brand works pretty damn good for what it is, I’ve had one going hard for like 11 years now with no replacements, and I use it a lot! It’s a reasonable price at Canadian tire, if your Canadian eh. There’s no gauge but it’s pretty simple, I just crank it up til it starts to rock and than turn it down to 7, usually keeps a nice steady rock with about 10 seconds in between each release. I even made a silencer to sit over top of the rocker to keep things much more quiet lol.
  • Juthro likes this

#14 DetritusTheEgo

DetritusTheEgo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 06:33 AM

Fall is harvest season so I'd assume there is greater purchasing of canning products naturally during this time of year. People wanting to make jellies, pickle, and preserve their harvest are all gonna want canning jars, bands, lids, pickling salts, etc. COVID, fear buying, election year, trade war, and other factors aren't helping things either as people are probably thinking about food security a bit more right now. Canning goes hand in hand with that. I'd be curious about what the stats are of people buying upright freezers this year versus last year for instance...

I looked on Walmart website and saw the presto 23 quart with pressure gauge for $90 and the 16 quart without a pressure gauge for $78. Both are out of stock though. I would personally prefer to purchase a pressure cooker in person with cash if at all possible. I know there are tons of justifiable reasons to purchase one but that's just me.

Good luck and just keep checking the canning isle every time you go. Hopefully general stocking ramps up for stuff as I've not seen isopropyl alcohol anywhere locally for probably six months either. From what I've found online isopropyl and nitrile gloves cost about double right now than last year so overall the cost of playing the game is just going to be higher...

#15 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,246 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 October 2020 - 11:14 AM

I ordered an out of stock AA from Goodman’s. I’m okay with waiting but the price was decent for a 921. The 915 is priced well also if you do smaller jars normally.
https://www.goodmans...essure-cann.htm
The shipping cost runs about $39-$40 I think plus your state sales tax.
  • Juthro likes this

#16 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,906 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 October 2020 - 01:13 PM

I ordered an out of stock AA from Goodman’s. I’m okay with waiting but the price was decent for a 921. The 915 is priced well also if you do smaller jars normally.
https://www.goodmans...essure-cann.htm
The shipping cost runs about $39-$40 I think plus your state sales tax.

A reputable seller on Ebay has a new AA921 in an open box for $250, free shipping.   Just in case you're interested.

https://www.ebay.com...CLK|clp:2334524

• Freaky likes this

#17 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,485 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 October 2020 - 05:28 PM

I just got one today for 25 bucks! Found it on my local Facebook swap shop.. but yea as mentioned before thrift stores and flea markets and such are a good place to find them fairly cheap

20201013_142835.jpg
  • Freaky and Arathu like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!