18 replies to this topic

#1 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,303 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2020 - 12:38 AM

Every spare dollar I have lately I spend on supplies.

Am I crazy?

No other consideration seems important to me right now.

The coronavirus doesn't scare me nearly as much as how the cabal intends to use it against us.

I've given up trying to convince others to see what I see.  ("You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think.")

I'm reading books on how to be a better man (ok I'm a single girl but I'm trying to make up for it) and how to plan and act.  I'm reading books on prepping and survival.  I constantly run through imaginary scenarios of self-defense and evasion from multiple locations to see what I would do in each situation to survive and flee.

I feel like I should be doing something for the sake of the world of tomorrow.  I don't even have children of my own; I don't know why I feel so concerned about the well-being of things since I'm not going to be responsible for passing anything to a new generation.  But nonetheless I think of the children out there who are suffering because of lies and bullshit which our world is absolutely saturated with.

I'm worried, scared all the time now.  I've become full-paranoid.

But

The whole time I'm praying for things to go right, to be safe again, back to normal.

But in the back of my mind I know that this world we live in will only get worse so long as the evil cabal still has control over money, and they can print or create whatever quantity necessary to pay/bribe/kill everyone on the way to establishing a worldwide government in charge of money, commerce, banking, health, weapons, work, and life and death itself.

So the war will never truly be won until the people take back the sovereign right to control the issuance of their own money.

"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The Bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create deposits, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take this power away from them, and all the great fortunes disappear, and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of Bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money and control credit."  -Josiah Stamp, The Legalized Crime of Banking (1958)

So far I have seen a few people starting to wake up to the predicament every honest person in this world is in, however I fear it will be too little too late.

Right now I see the evildoers of this world enacting a plan in the United States designed to cause us to meet the fate of the common Ukranian after the Bolshevik revolution.  https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Holodomor

There is so much deception, so many lies, so much evil in this world, and the darkness is busy trying to creep over everything right now.

Is there much reason for hope?

Will we be here tomorrow?

Edited by darci, 08 October 2020 - 12:47 AM.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#2 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,303 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2020 - 12:55 AM

One additional thought:

I could be suffering from full-blown insanity.  In which case everyone who reads this will be shaking their head, the sun will rise tomorrow, there's a game Sunday night, free beer and dogs on the grill.

Or,

All of this is the work of thousands of people over years, and like a train building so much momentum, it's too hard to stop it moving forward right now and we are all just ... fucked.

Or,

The universe around us is a construct of our minds and thus my own fear-mongering and gloom-and-doom nature has created a reality around me that resembles hell only because I don't know how to discipline my mind and think happy thoughts all freaking DAY!

Or,

I'm a sinful little wretch reaping what my soul has sowed and my emotions and unhappiness are the result of the coming-due of some bad mojo and karma that I racked up as an evil bitch in some other life.

Or,

The universe is material clockwork, there is no god, shit just happens and if I take a shotgun to the face for not taking the biometric ID mark of the beast, it is both my and my murderer's mistake to have ever had faith in any ideology or diety because they are all just bullshit constructs of a lonely monkey-species on a lonely planet trying to make sense of the universe with a really, really inept, incapable, and stupid mind.

Sometimes, I dunno.

=/

• TVCasualty likes this

#3 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 632 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2020 - 02:27 AM

I find it quite comforting that I'm not the only one freaking out. In fact last Friday I got super worried about the potential degradation of America into civil war due to the coming election. The next day I called my parents and they were worried about a second wave of corona virus. It was nice that something they were freaking out about was different from what I was freaking out about. The anxiety and paranoia faded over the weekend.

These uneasy feelings of pure paranoia and fear bring me back to a strange time around a year ago when I was super paranoid about getting busted because I grew my own mushrooms. I felt scared and totally untrusting of everyone except my partner to the point where I really couldn't talk to people. I would get waves of paranoia thinking that my life was over on a daily basis for awhile there. It was really terrible and perhaps what you are going through.

See, the difficult thing about unpacking paranoia like this is that there is some totally solid truth in there but what we think is happening is never the full picture. I know this only because I'm in a place now where the paranoia of my life ending is a much lesser part of my life. Every now and then it reminds me to be watchful and careful but I'm able to breath and be mindful through those flashes of terror.

There are going to be things than can help you get through this. For one, the biggest help for me was reaching out to people in this community who knew what I was going through and were able to talk to me in a re-assuring way, there suggestions especially mindful breathing and watching paranoia come and go helped me understand that each episode wouldn't be the end as it wasn't the end for the last one. Secondly, being prepared is not a bad thing. I think its pretty cool and responsible of you to be trying to get your prepping together. For me I had to learn to keep my mushroom cards very close to my chest and perhaps being prepared is a lesson for you to learn right now too, even though it is uncomfortable to learn for you at the moment.

Best wishes in life and this too shall pass Darci. Who knows maybe when it all blows over we can have a Mycotopia meet up and share our stories, laugh and have fun.

Edited by Moonless, 08 October 2020 - 02:28 AM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#4 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:37 AM

There was a lot to unpack in this post I just wanted to chime in on one thing about the worry of Civil War we also have to consider Mars and mercury are both in retrograde right now. My fiancé is the one that is into astrology but I know enough to realize increased anger and break down in communication added to an already volatile time isn’t great.
Edit
I have also been working on trusting my intuition and I have been feeling that fear for a few months now. So not super awesome.

Edited by Misfit, 08 October 2020 - 09:38 AM.

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,502 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2020 - 10:32 AM

One additional thought:

I could be suffering from full-blown insanity.  In which case everyone who reads this will be shaking their head, the sun will rise tomorrow, there's a game Sunday night, free beer and dogs on the grill.

Or,

All of this is the work of thousands of people over years, and like a train building so much momentum, it's too hard to stop it moving forward right now and we are all just ... fucked.

Or,

The universe around us is a construct of our minds and thus my own fear-mongering and gloom-and-doom nature has created a reality around me that resembles hell only because I don't know how to discipline my mind and think happy thoughts all freaking DAY!

Or,

I'm a sinful little wretch reaping what my soul has sowed and my emotions and unhappiness are the result of the coming-due of some bad mojo and karma that I racked up as an evil bitch in some other life.

Or,

The universe is material clockwork, there is no god, shit just happens and if I take a shotgun to the face for not taking the biometric ID mark of the beast, it is both my and my murderer's mistake to have ever had faith in any ideology or diety because they are all just bullshit constructs of a lonely monkey-species on a lonely planet trying to make sense of the universe with a really, really inept, incapable, and stupid mind.

Sometimes, I dunno.

=/

Is "all of the above" an option? 

Now I'm wondering what you did in that other life. Must've been a doozy, maybe even as bad as whatever the hell it was that I did in a past one of mine.

In the Chaos Age, anything's possible. And death is not defeat, even if the assholes endure since survival isn't victory because everybody dies either way. Embracing evil/darkness is defeat, and how we deal with fear and treat others is the test.

Follow your Inner Vision.  :meditate:

• coorsmikey and darci like this

#6 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,818 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2020 - 06:16 PM

I was talking to a friend the other day and mentioned how silly it was that we didn't bother to stock up on anything that went poof at the start of the pandemic. Like toilet paper, and disinfectant supplies ect. Stores are full again but I have to admit foolishly there are no extra items round here. Practicing blissful ignorance or just lazy?

#7 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 595 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:09 PM

One thing I’ve
Learned over my time
Waking
This rock. Worrying will
Get you know where. And I’ve taken myself
To the depths of my
Mind with analytics. I’m still working on my
Mind and trying to
Keep it reigned in.

I will Quote (what i think is a great movie) “Get busy living or get busy dying.”

This came to mind as soon as I read all this. I have a tendency to use music to express feelings
And calm myself. Sophomoric or not.

https://youtu.be/rrUync3ghsQ
  • PJammer24 likes this

#8 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2020 - 10:33 AM

You have taken it a step farther than me but I have been doing a little prepping myself... I extended my garden, I have been canning this years harvest, I have purchased several books to extend my foraging knowledge as well as my knowledge on natural remedies...

This pandemic seems one step closer to zombie apocalypse to me... As my dad said when the rioting was at its worst, "a step closer to zombie apocalypse... I see zombies every time I turn on the news!"

I would like to get entirely off grid. I currently get free gas and I'm connected directly to a gas well located a few hundred yards from my house. I'm deeded free gas for as long as the gas produces though any royalties the original lease included have expired unfortunately. I have well water. I have a septic system. The only thing I need to get done so that I can be 100% off grid if I chose is solar. The solar grants available to me expire in approximately two years. The grants will cover enough of the installation that the money I would save in electric is enough to cover a 15 year loan for the remainder of the install. In theory, I could sell any additional electric that I don't use to the electric company by feeding it back into the grid while retaining the ability to cut that connection if i so choose...

My place is on the second highest hill in the municipality and from my vantage point I can see for miles! I also have an 18 month old, 100lb American Bulldog named Manny who despite being a big ole baby would make anyone think twice about coming to my place with bad intentions...

If shit REALLY hits the fan, I am going to fence the 6 acre property and hole up with my friends and loved ones until the threat is passed or intensifies to the point that we need to move deeper into the cut... Six acres is enough to support a pretty decent lil community if managed properly!! Hopefully I will have the ability to build my studio/guest house and greenhouse prior to this defensive posture being warranted!!

And the hot tub... Definitely need a hot tub if we are going to be avoiding the outside world for months... Will probably need a pool table also... LOL!!

When that time comes, I will be taking applications... If you have valuable skills, which most of us here do, if you are really funny, or if you are really attractive/smart (since we may have to repopulate the earth), I should have a spot for you!!

• Choices likes this

#9 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 11:40 AM

I should reiterate, preparedness and worry two very diff things. But I have the luxury of living in the mountains secluded from mass populations. With dairy eggs beef pork and vegetables when ever i need them. If anything I should of stocked up on ammunition for my guns. But I can always make arrows. Haha.
  • PJammer24 likes this

#10 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2020 - 11:40 AM

EDIT:  I apologize at the end but since I doubt many of you will make it to the end, I also wanted to apologize at the beginning... Sorry for going on at such length... I kinda got on a roll since some of what Darci mentions directly connects to a lot of what I have been considering lately regarding hope for those who have felt hopeless for generations as well as one world government and people who are drones... So sorry in advance!! :tinfoil:

But in the back of my mind I know that this world we live in will only get worse so long as the evil cabal still has control over money, and they can print or create whatever quantity necessary to pay/bribe/kill everyone on the way to establishing a worldwide government in charge of money, commerce, banking, health, weapons, work, and life and death itself.

So far I have seen a few people starting to wake up to the predicament every honest person in this world is in, however I fear it will be too little too late.

Is there much reason for hope?

Will we be here tomorrow?

I can't stand any of these politicians but one of the things I have liked about what Trump has done is to back away from attempting to provide everything to everyone... Other countries benefit far more from us then we do from them. We have been taken advantage of. There are powers that be who are attempting to move toward a worldwide government including many liberal Americans in positions of power. Don't get me wrong, I would love for everyone to be on equal footing with the United States. The problem I see with all of this is that our lives here would change in negative ways so that the lives of others can improve in positive ways until there is some sort of balance. I am not willing to accept a lower quality of life for my loved ones in the future to make things equal for people I have not and will never meet. There has to be a give and take that is fair and until other parts of the world can develop to the point where they have something to offer I am not willing to make these sacrifices. I am not saying we should never help others and I certainly think there are things we should do for those in our own country who have struggled but we can't go around thinking it is our job to help everyone... It is simply not sustainable... Our infrastructure is falling apart, we have citizens who struggle, and we should worry about getting our own house in order prior to trying to help someone else do the same even if their house is in worse shape.

In our own country, my country at least, I think education and mentor ship is key to help those who have struggled. They key is hope! People are stuck in an endless cycle where one generation has struggled and these role models tell the next generation that there is no hope. If you are not encouraged to succeed and told that it is possible from a young age then you will never make the effort or take the risks that are needed. Is there systemic racism in this country? Absolutely, but sentiments toward all people of color, including African Americans, have improved substantially over the last 56 years... The sentiments of an entire population do not change over night... I would love to snap my fingers and create a national culture that has no racism but this simply isn't possible. Segregation only ended 56 years ago, that is a blink of an eye!! With each generation attitudes have changed and will continue to change until the racist attitudes of our predecessors are far in the past. There is only so much you can do other than be a good person and a good role model for those around you...

For me, the most important aspect for creating change for those of all races who have experienced hardship starts in their own communities. An attitude that the situation is impossible has been passed from generation to generation rather than one of hope that allows them to build generational equity for those who follow them. Is it more difficult for African Americans and other minority groups to find success? It sure is... It is not however impossible. There are options available to even the most desperate unfortunately there are few role models pushing them towards these options, encouraging them, and giving them hope that a better life is possible. Change for many starts from within and improves as each generation builds on the last. Until these communities are injected with HOPE, which starts with education as to the options available to them, nothing will change. When you see no hope for the future, no path out, all you have is respect. If you don't see a way to garner respect from those who have been successful in the community at large, you find that respect somewhere else. Too often, this respect has been generated with fire arm in hand, with underworld connects, and fast money... When all you have is respect, and no hope for the future, it is far too easy to fall into this trap which only furthers a cylce where there is little hope for both you and those around you... Violence in these neighborhoods impacts more than just those involved at one end of a gun or the other or at either end of a drug transaction... It also impacts those who strive for a kind/peaceful community since much of what they see is counter to the culture they generate... 

This is a very difficult cycle to break and there is a lot more to breaking it than simply changing the perspective of the majority... Perspective has been shifting since the 1960s and things will continue to get better but changes are needed from both ends....

Darci, I disagree in that I have seen VERY FEW people waking up... All I see are essentially sheep, drones that don't think or at least aren't thinking for themselves. I was watching the vice presidential debate the other night and all I could think about is how no body thinks for themselves. There were several instances where one of the candidates made a statement that I am sure to many seemed like a great response. In reality, they weren't providing the entire story and it only seemed like a great response. People have the wool pulled over their eyes in so many aspects of life and they either don't care or don't know enough to care... Here is an easy example from the debate that I will paraphrase:

Pence:  "Since our nations conception, there have been 27 instances where a supreme court seat was vacated in an election year."

-The implication is that it happens all the time and there is no reason to wait until after the election. Essentially the democrats are taking this normal occurance and attempting to use it for 

political gain.

Harris:   "Mr. Pence, I am sure you are an admirer of Abraham Lincoln, I know that I am... In 1964, a supreme court seat was vacated 27 days prior to the election. Honest Abe's response to this

seat becoming vacated was that they would wait until after the election to fill the seat"

- On the surface, this seems like a GREAT response. We are currently a similar number of days from election day and Abraham Lincoln is one of the most revered presidents, maybe

even one of the most revered American of all time... The truth of the matter is that good old Abe Lincoln was in the middle of the bloodiest conflict that the United States has ever

been involved in. Not only was it the bloodiest, it was being fought on American soil. Abe Lincoln did not decide to forgo nominating a new justice because he was honest or because he

thought it unethical... He didn't nominate a justice because he had his frickin hands full, he had WAY bigger fish to fry!!

There were a few other instances during the debate where if you dug a little deeper, were a little more critical, or had a little bit of the back story, you would see the spin... These are smart people, they are well aware that their statements are misleading... They are also well aware that your average American is a sheep and that they don't question much of what they are told... The news agencies, especially those that report all day every day like CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, do not provide actual news coverage... They provide what a specific demographic wants to hear... Associated Press, Wall Street Journal, Reuters, and BBC are a little better and I often get my news from them....

Is there much reason to hope? Yes Darci, I think there is... There are people like you who have a vision of what things should be like. They may not be in the majority but you are not alone. The problem, as I see it, is that the people who have the ability to make real change don't really care about what happens as long as they continue to win their next election... Pelosi as an example is one of the biggest hypocrites in a sea of hypocrites... There is no room for good, moral, and ethical people in these positions of power... Good people get ousted quickly because they aren't willing to play the game and someone else is... Unfortunately, the people who need help most are the same people who sit around and think it should be handed to them which is not going to happen... The groups that are struggling most need to generate this hope from within. It needs to start with one generation who gets a head enough that the next generation has it a little easier... This is exactly how it happened for many of the immigrants that came over previously... They didn't experience great success after getting here but generation after generation they made it easier for the next until we arrive at present day...

The hope which people so desperately need must be generated from within, unfortunately, that is not an easy fire to start...

Hang in there Darci! Rather than let things that are out of your control bring negativity into your life, focus on what you can control... You can control how you treat others, you can control the impact you have on the world. There is only so much an individual can do  and if they are doing their part, they should be proud to be part of the solution... Personally, I have been experience great and positive change in my own life. I have seen a drastic change in psyche... I have become more positive than ever before in my life... I have begun to see a change in those around me, I think, due to my positive influence. I also think my mindset has begun to manifest itself beyond in that my life just seems to filled with blessings over the last several months... Things have seemed so good that I actually told my mom that I feel like I have died and gone to heaven since everything has been perfect. Even as I have dealt with strangers at work or in public, the interactions have been overwhelmingly possible. Whether it is my vibes positive influence on my projected world or simply my perception of my world, my positive mindset has manifested in great ways for me... I have been able to maintain this mindset by being proud of it and the life I am living. I treat people kindly, I try to think of others before myself, and try to leave anyone I come in contact with in a better place or feeling better about the place they are in... In doing your part with what you can control, you can mitigate a lot of the negative feels regarding the world around you which you have no control of whether you want to or not...

Try to find a way to keep negativity from being generated over things that you can do nothing about... That is not your negativity to hold on to... Recognize it for what it is and then strive to be a part of the solution rather than the problem... As long as you recognize your attempts to be a positive influence on the world it becomes far easier to recognize that the negative energy belongs to those doing negative things and is not yours to hold...

Over the last couple years, I have become more spiritual and have developed significantly more faith in a higher power, god if you must Good-Orderly-Direction... I am not religious, religion is to me a human social construct and is not needed to be a spiritual being... Any how, with the state of the world today, shitty people everywhere, pandemics, locusts, global warming, slowly flooding coasts, nasty storms, wild fires... I start to consider if we are approaching the end and that judgment will be upon us soon... It just seems like there is one negative event after another with no end in site... IDK, I often think I am a little nuts these days but while I have zero evidence to support these thoughts, I also have zero evidence to refute it... Here's to being the best version of myself and to bringing the best out in others so that if this were to become my reality, I would be well positioned for the most positive of outcomes... All I can really do is do my best to be my best... :meditate: :chucks: :hug:

Sorry for going on at such length... Some of your post simply resonated with me and things that I have been pondering as of late...

Good Luck Darci!!

PeeJ

Edited by PJammer24, 09 October 2020 - 11:51 AM.

#11 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,303 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 October 2020 - 08:03 AM

My mom was a fanatic bible reader.

When I was little, I remember her talking to me about the mark of the beast, and that one day even in America, Christians would be made to look like the bad guys.

I'm not even a Christian but I can see this happening.

And to not believe in a global conspiracy is impossible for me now considering how practically every single nation in the world is following in lockstep these non-sensical orders created to manage a pathogen whose true virulence isn't much worse than a bad flu season.

Here are just a few tidbits:

- N95 masks do not filter viruses. Viruses are much too small to control the spread of except with full-body respirator suits fed by a flame-sterilized air-intake. This would only protect the wearer and be completely impractical to live with.

- Quarantine of the general population. YOU QUARANTINE THE SICK, NOT THE HEALTHY. But they want the people to become accustomed to house-arrest, desperation, and poverty where once many of us used to own and run our own livelihoods, not the big corporations are the only game allowed in town. Talk about fascism! And what are the self-proclaimed "anti-fascists" doing? Getting funding from those corporations.

- The news media all saying the same bullshit. Talking about an increase in cases when it's a result of more tests, not an increase in the fraction of the public infected. Lying about hospitals overflowing. Lying about cause of death when most who die have diabetes, cancer, etc but they say they died of covid. And the fact that practically all the news is following this narrative just shows that there are practically no independent voices doing real journalism anymore. This is the result of allowing a few media companies to buy up all the rest.

- Our food is garbage. Obesity is everywhere because there's no nutrition in our food anymore. People are hungry yet fat because corporations produce calories and crops for weight of yield rather than for benefit to consumer.

- Accusations of racism everywhere. Somehow my family owned slaves even though on one side my great grandparents fled from the Ukraine and came to the United States over 70 years after the civil war, and on the other nobody really knows because they were just mixed European mutts. Oh well, for some reason I owe reparations to black people? Would my best friend in high school who was half black and half white be owed 50% of the usual amount? What if I'm broke and have no assets of my own, how am I going to pay them?

- Orange man bad. No one can be bad/wrong/evil ALWAYS. I found the news criticizing Trump 100% of the time to be a little suspicious. Even assholes do good things by accident sometimes. A blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut. A broken clock is right twice a day. Yet somehow he is ALWAYS in the wrong. This says to me that the news media has been weaponized against a political figure, and there's nothing democratic or civil about that, considering there are not really any checks and balances against the news so long as the same people that own media companies own the tech companies that censor alternative perspectives on the internet. In short, the news media has way too much power and the public has way too little recourse to hold them accountable for their lies.

The list goes on so far it's exhausting.

I just want to know what's really going on in the world so I can make adjustments to how I plan to pay my bills and survive. But now, bullshit is being thrown from every direction to such a degree that I can see how the average person either goes with their base instincts and picks a side (Right/Left, Republican/Democrat, Black/White) whereas the answers to all of these problems actually have nothing to do with any of this but rather in the legislation that works as our social operating system which allows the banks/corporations/media to continue their shenanigans unimpeded.

A corporation held the venue for the last political debate. Could you imagine if that corporation, rather than being a news company, was something like Coca Cola, or Lockheed Martin? Maybe trust would erode in the validity of political theater if we saw directly who the politicians worked for, but how did a corporation get the right to set the stage for a public debate of a political figure? What if I started my own news company and claimed that it was only acceptable that the candidates come to my show and obey my rules and let my editors decide what words the public is allowed to hear? WHAT IF I WROTE ALL THE QUESTIONS TO BE ASKED AT THE DEBATE? Would I even have the right to do so? Why do they?

Just so much crap. Tired of it. So tired.

Edited by darci, 13 October 2020 - 08:09 AM.

#12 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,502 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:35 AM

I get the sense that the exhaustion you allude to is becoming all too common. I can certainly relate. It’s probably from running in circles for years looking for a way out, or through, or something, but finding none that works for very long, if at all.

I suppose when every direction we turn is “checkmate” then the only thing left to do is endure it and bear witness while we can. Maybe that’s all we were ever supposed to do? I guess that depends on whether the Universe made us on purpose or if everything (including us) is incidental.

After playing with this interactive graphic for a while and deeply contemplating the implications of what I'm seeing I've found it can spark moments of intuitive awareness of Deep Time that are humbling and therapeutic regardless of whether I'm feeling immortal or incidental at the time: https://dinosaurpict...cient-earth#120

Here's a brief conversation between some rocks that takes place in rock-time:

[Direct Link]

And of course, Ozymandias remains a not-so-subtle reminder for the ambitious to maybe not take ourselves or our ambitions so seriously:

[Direct Link]

At this point I just want to see how it ends and I'm not otherwise preparing for anything after that. I figure if there's a total breakdown and long-term (centuries) collapse of civilization then no amount of prepping will help since the nature of such a paradigm shift will be beyond most people's imagination and almost no one is mentally or physically ready for it (I'm speaking from a tiny bit of experience in this area, which was about all I could tolerate).

But if there's just a temporary, localized disruption (even if "localized" is still a huge area) but civilization is otherwise still largely intact (e.g. after a major earthquake, or situations like post-Katrina New Orleans) then a bit of prepping will make enduring it easier to endure until relief supplies arrive. So I don't really see prepping by gathering supplies as opposed to learning primitive skills as a life-or-death thing so much as something to do to make some situations easier to deal with but won't make any real difference in a systemic collapse. And the window for mastering post-collapse primitive survival skills in the time remaining before we'll need to use them has probably already closed.

• ElPirana likes this

#13 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 01:48 PM

My answer is GTFO of the U.S.

said to myself the last time I left "Good thing I'm leaving before TSHTF.

Then came back. Dumb idea.

#14 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,303 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2020 - 12:44 AM

I think I'm to the point where all the fuses are blown and I just don't give a shit any more.

Just going to have a smoke, a glass of wine, put on Jeff Buckley and sit on the balcony and watch the stars.

#15 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,502 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:48 AM

There's nowhere that the alien mind virus (or whatever it is) that's afflicted our species with apparently-incurable suicidal myopia won't find us anymore.

Do we keep fighting a losing battle to "save the world" or is it time to stock up on weed, wine, and popcorn and just watch the rest of the show unfold with detached indifference? This isn't a rhetorical question, it's a genuine conundrum.

Evolution has apparently overshot itself as far as self-aware intelligence is concerned since it's arguably the case that we have too much of it if we end up using it to develop intricate processes for intentionally inhibiting/suppressing it. It might be the ultimate cosmic irony that once it evolves, intelligent self-awareness immediately begins working out ways to inhibit itself.

That has some particularly disturbing implications in the context of the existence of a supreme being or god, or any other highly-evolved species in the Universe. So maybe the hyper-advanced aliens that almost certainly exist out there somewhere haven't come to Earth yet because they're staying home getting their version of fucked up as they try to work out how to tolerate their own existence just like everybody else?

But Evolution is also a self-correcting process so if intelligence isn't the fittest adaptation then it will be selected out of the gene pool and life will develop other approaches over the next few million years that might be less prone to the kinds of existential mistakes that we're currently making on a global scale.

It's only a matter of time.

#16 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 333 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:29 AM

There's nowhere that the alien mind virus (or whatever it is) that's afflicted our species with apparently-incurable suicidal myopia won't find us anymore.

Do we keep fighting a losing battle to "save the world" or is it time to stock up on weed, wine, and popcorn and just watch the rest of the show unfold with detached indifference? This isn't a rhetorical question, it's a genuine conundrum.

Solid question.

And I totally agree, "Alien Mind Virus" - it's everywhere. But, it's got a stronger hold in certain localities. The experience of Consciousness is to a large extent a localized field effect; Different cultures generate slightly different realities...

But, from a purely materialist point of view; the inevitable authoratrian lockdown changes coming to the US and other first world countries (COVID passports, Mandatory vaccines etc etc etc); are absolutely going to be making their appearance in the first world, first.

"Do we keep fighting a losing battle to save the world?'

My answer, is no. Fighting a losing battle is the definition of stupidity. The world (speaking of the human world at least) was never meant to be saved. Take a look around. 

However, we have the tools to save ourselves (Insert libraries of evidence here)- though this requires total dedication, discipline, devotion... It's not a process that can be half assed or done on the weekend. Look at the first yogi's- They weren't going to hour long yoga classes a few times a week. It was all they did. Their entire lives.

My answer "GTFO the US" is a temporary stop gap, with the recognition that time, and an environment properly conducive to this type of work, are needed for the above unlocking of potential.

Edited by Severian, 18 October 2020 - 10:30 AM.

• TVCasualty and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#17 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,502 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:30 AM

The reason why there's still a question (in my mind) about whether it's worth trying to save the world is that a losing battle isn't necessarily a lost one. But the probability of a victory in this context admittedly isn't looking very good.

Survival (or off-grid primitive living) on a personal level is definitely a full-time lifestyle that must be adopted to succeed at and after having tried it for a few years I concluded that most of us can't or won't do that for various reasons.

At this point the most enticing option is to find someone reasonably compatible to get together and watch the show with since I know from experience that being shocked, horrified, disappointed, and appalled is easier to tolerate when shared with sympathetic company.

When I hit the woods for my Escape from Civilization (take-1) I had that luxury and it was STILL a journey to the brink of madness with all the overwhelming peace and quiet (peace and quiet ain't all it's cracked up to be). And the grocery stores were still open, too. Even while having every advantage and the ability to 'cheat' by going to a grocery store it was still an incredibly difficult transition of mindset. As a result of that experience I suspect that what's going to freak people out the most at first and be the cause of most people's suffering, panic, and eventual demise will be the shattering of their mind. My guess is that many will die with plenty of food, water, and ammo left.

It's a simple but disturbing mental exercise: Imagine the grid went down right now, this moment. Where do you go? What do you do? Where is everybody else going? What is everybody else doing?

As for me, I'm going to look for something to unclog my bong with while I'm heading to the kitchen to refill my wine glass and make more popcorn for the show and I'll try not to be too much of an "I told ya so!" asshole to my friends and family as they begin to panic in the face of exactly what I'd warned was coming.

#18 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:45 AM

Right- The difference between losing battle and lost battle... Critical to be able to make the differentiation.

Say a battlefield medic; a soldier lies bleeding out right next to him; meanwhile, the enemy line is advancing, tanks and the like...

"Hope" in being able to save said bleeding out soldier AND defeat the onrush of oncoming tanks is, well, I can think of a better word.

Having worked in "Activist" positions in the past; I've seen first hand how "Hope" is used as a psychological tool-

Looking at the way that it's been blasted from media towers into the populace... it's certainly had a similar effect to prozac- - -

The sooner we can look at the big picture, stifle our horror and disbelief at the rapidly approaching cliff, then we can begin making choices in response to the reality that faces us, instead of based on the naive belief that we can somehow halt whats coming.

Sometimes a tactical retreat is the best option; but if we still believe that we have a chance, well, we get mowed over by tanks.

I hear you regarding the 'get off grid and find a cabin somewhere' - - - Having lived a very fringe lifestyle for 10+ years, including extended practice with silent isolation; I understand how difficult (impossible really) for most this drastic change in stimulation is- And so, while in the past I have been of the belief that a simple 'return to nature' is the prescription for each individual, to, collecitively avert the coming catastrophe; now I am no longer so naive...

Furthur; Maslow was definitely onto something with his whole 'heirarchy of needs'...

True, while some mystics/yogis/etc have dissappeared into caves for forty years subsisting on water and ether; this approach is not accessible for most of us-

At the very least, the physical need for food means that we're either hunting/foraging (again out of reach of most of us), growing it ourselves, or purchasing it from those who do-

I don't think it's a coincidence that in traditionally Buddhist countries, like Sri Lanka, for example, have a culture where there are the Monasteries, and then the Lay people. The monasteries don't do physical work (beyond the upkeep of the monastery)- The surrounding villages bring them food twice a day; breakfast and lunch.

With the physical needs of food, and shelter taken care of; they've the freedom to dedicate their  existence to meditation; the exploration of consciousness.

In the west, we don't have a culture like this that supports the pursuit of spiritual aims; But, we can take a page out of that book and attempt to create a space that more or less mimics the effects of such a culture.

Central America, (aside from being far more free than the U.S. in a million ways)- is absurdly affordable for someone who has the luxury to be born in a 1st world country.

As in, saving for a couple of months, It's possible to take that and create the space needed for real dedication.

But in order to do so requires not spending so much on wine and popcorn.

Edit: At risk of redunancy; 

The silver lining in this whole clusterfuck, as I see it, is that the path ahead has never been so clear.

For me, it's fork in the road; One path is continuing as we are;

The other, is the unknown- The master work; the philosophers stone; truly believing that 'enlightenment', self acutalization, whatever, is acutally possible, and pursuing this- even though it is by no means a certain thing.

Can we choose to do something totally different, to leave behind a way of life that we know doesn't work, in the hope that the unknown path will provide that which we seek for?

We don't need to know what lies ahead in order to say No to what clearly doesn't serve.

Edited by Severian, 19 October 2020 - 10:01 AM.

#19 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,818 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:30 PM

Thinking about the grid collapse type situation, looking at how dependent on tech we have become, not just physically but mentally. It's not hard to imagine an advanced ancient civilization that quickly imploded after a mass change event. What would happen if everyone but those few tribes living in isolated jungle survived. Would all our tech wash away in the span of a few hundred years? 

This week my mind is siding with going out in a haze of glory  :hookah:  to be fair though that was always my long term plan.

Everyone can have their moments though, is it enough that we just try to make it better for the people around us? If that one simple idea spread out it should work right, or do we then immediately run into tribalism. Others become just that, folk that are inconsequential to our existence. With this global economy we have problems that are world wide so that approach won't really work out. But then again that's assuming my knowledge of such events would in any way effect the outcome. I guess at some point we have to accept that we can't fix everything and everyone so what is the answer.

Do what you can and tell yourself it's enough?

People are going to have to walk their own path. Groups of civilians seem to be getting more aggressive. The strongest motivator for people finding common ground appears to be hate at the moment. Let's get together so we can get that guy or girl the frick outa here! Hell Yeah!... Its sad really that's usually all politics have ever been throughout history.  The vote is decided by, oh hell no not that person! Is that the side effect of us always being under someone's rule

For me somewhere there is a balance in there, understanding what is out of my control and accepting it as is. Focusing instead on what I am able to change around me, trying to manipulate that small part of the grande chaos

I do like what you said there Severn about not trying to halt what is coming, rather focus on trying to adapt to it because that is the nature of this planet. Your species either adapts or dies.

You had me dreaming of a monk life for a moment there.... my mind is going in so many different directions thinking about the topic at hand, the world can be a complicated place when you think about it too much.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!