• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 essrocks

essrocks

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 04:50 AM

Hi guys, I've been occasionally growing with relative success over the past couple years since I joined here. I might not have posted in a while but I have been coming back here to answer some questions I've had but thanks to the wealth of knowledge I dont have to ask most of the time.

This time though, I'm completely lost. PE have always been super potent every time I grow them. But I had a friend tell me that what I gave him didn't work. I had to test it for myself, so I got home from work last night and ate 2g. After 2 hours nothing happened and I ended up falling asleep, 3 hours later I woke up because the TV was still on, and here I am with a slight stomach ache and still no trip.

What could have caused this batch to not have any magic? I attached a picture of the largest fruit from this grow, fresh and after dying for 2 days in a food dehydrator. Perhaps they got too hot when drying? The dehydrator runs 133F and no fan, I kept them on the top with 5 racks below them because I didn't want them too close to the heat source.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200930_105851.jpg
  • 20201001_235122.jpg

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2020 - 11:03 AM

It is my understanding that as long as you keep them below approximately 180f when drying, you should be ok. There has been successful drying without impacting potency up to at least 160f from what I am aware of. Time is probably your greatest enemy when it comes to potency. There is often a measurable decrease in potency after about 3 months. If they have been sitting around for a period of time, you will see a decrease in the effects.

Were these grown from MS? There is a possibility, though I think it exceedingly rare, that certain genetic combinations would create a fruiting body that is significantly less potent. There is also a chance that this has become more common with strains like PE which have started to become more genetically unstable after years of cloning due to there producing very few spores. I can not provide data to support this theory regarding PE but it is certainly more susceptible to mutation and through that mutation, potency may be impacted. This is just speculation in an attempt to explain the issues you are having.

#3 Jrotten

Jrotten

Rejecter of False Authority

• Gold VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 11:40 AM

The food dehydrator didn't do anything to harm them.  If I were guessing the issue would be in the fact that this is a single specimen which increases the potential for a low potency fruit.  With smaller fruits from MS you may take 8 and 2 may do nothing, but that leaves 6 to bring up the dose.  I assume from the numbers there that the fruit was completely cracker dry, but if not, that also screws up the weight of the dose.  I have more than once eaten partially dried fruits and low dosed because the moisture content of the fruit was too high.  Beyond that, is anybody on antidepressants?  Some medications will interfere.

#4 essrocks

essrocks

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 12:33 PM

Yes, growing from MS with bags of 5 grain and then bulk casing. They were just harvested on 9/30 and after the 2 days of drying they were bagged and put in the mini-fridge. And yeah they were cracker dry, hardly even had a taste to them. It was like an unsalted cracker lol.

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2020 - 01:20 PM

The food dehydrator didn't do anything to harm them.  If I were guessing the issue would be in the fact that this is a single specimen which increases the potential for a low potency fruit.  With smaller fruits from MS you may take 8 and 2 may do nothing, but that leaves 6 to bring up the dose.  I assume from the numbers there that the fruit was completely cracker dry, but if not, that also screws up the weight of the dose.  I have more than once eaten partially dried fruits and low dosed because the moisture content of the fruit was too high.  Beyond that, is anybody on antidepressants?  Some medications will interfere.

Larger fruits can be less potent my volume since they are often less dense. Gram for gram they should be of a similar potency.

There is a sweet spot for potency when it comes to harvesting. Close caps are often to considered to provide more bang for your buck but this has nothing to do with the spores remaining withing the mushroom since spores are not active. The actives in the mushroom start to decline at a certain point so the longer you let them go without harvesting the less active compounds they will contain. That being said, the decline in potency is relatively gradual so there should not be a drastic difference unless you really let them sit until they start to degrade in general and become softer to the touch, etc... Looking at the images you have provide, there should have been no noticeable degradation.

I believe your issues to be genetic in nature rather than due to the conditions under which they were grown/preserved.

Another user recently indicated that their B+ specimens had not worked for multiple people.

If any of the people who have reported they did not produce the desired results are on antidepresents or some other psych drug, this could also be the reason there were no effects.

#6 essrocks

essrocks

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 01:35 PM

I'm on no medications, but it certainly could be like Jrotten said, I only took 2 mushrooms that were about 1.3g and .7g if one of them had no magic then I could definitely see why I wouldn't trip.

I do happen to have empty 00 pill capsules, would it be worth it for me to powder the batch and fill the capsules? That way each one has a mixture. Im worried about the large ones, if they don't have any magic to them then I'm gonna have some disappointed friends, seeing as one of them could be 2-3 doses alone.

#7 ItBeBasidia

ItBeBasidia

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 262 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2020 - 06:12 PM

Have you ever gotten a handful of jalapeƱos from the store and ate a few that were as hot as bell peppers and then ate one nearly as hot as a habanero? That sort of thing happens with ms even with variants/species known for potency. I really believe it to be a genetic issue. You might have a fruit in that harvest that is potent though.

I'm working with a very potent b+ isolate now. I hit a level 4 off of 1 single 8g fresh fruit. It took a few grows of selection though. I'd say Definitely clone your most potent fruits.
  • Arathu likes this

#8 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 12:34 AM

I have a question about that! How do you know which are the most potent fruits to clone without eating your donor?

#9 ItBeBasidia

ItBeBasidia

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 262 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2020 - 01:00 AM

I go after bluing and select the ones that practically bleed blue. I still eat to test, but usually the ones that bruise heavily are potent. I ask my friends to bioassay too.
  • coorsmikey likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!