4 replies to this topic

#1 Foxdogg

Foxdogg

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 08:53 AM

Hey guys,

First grow. I've read the overgrow FAQ and I have some questions about how strict I need to be on my bud. I'm most likely harvesting this weekend and I wanted to dry the bud in my garage, but it does get natural light and we are getting temp swings as it's the fall. Are we talking night and day difference if I truly control these variables? Can I block the light with some cardboard? Can I bank on being within 5-10% of many of these targets (temp/humidity) without a major drop in quality?

I've had a really natural grow with these (autos, Rum Runner from Greenpoint) and I've been trying to figure out how intense I need to be about everything without going overboard. I didn't expect to end up with as much flower as I have right now. I am pretty sure I know everywhere I messed up, and I still got quite a bit, should be half a years supply for us if it's anywhere near decent. 

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,703 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:27 AM

I  never really worry about indirect light when drying. The plants will only be hanging for a couple of weeks prior to trimming and storing for curing.

As for temps - as long as the garage doesn't get above 120"F during the day you should be all right. Same for freezing.

I just cut the plant and hang the whole thing upside down. I let the shade leaves wither and dry on the plant since I believe that the sugars and fluids from the leaves are distributed through the plant's vascular network back to the flowers. 

You'll do fine with your current setup.

• TheObserver, PJammer24, FLASHINGROOSTER and 2 others like this

#3 TheObserver

TheObserver

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,317 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2020 - 06:33 PM

I like what Myc said here. I just got done trimming my harvest. I cut the plant from top to bottom leaving "hooks" on the end of the stems to make it easier to hang on a wire or string. I also don't trim till it's dry allowing the simple sugars in the leaves distribute and it protects the buds too. I try to dry in total darkness and that's just my preference but indirect light never seemed to affect the buds drying or the potency. You could block out the window with cardboard or something. I want to have recirculating air going in and around the drying plants but I don't point a fan directly at the hanging bud to keep them from moving around. I start with around 55% humidity when I first hang them and drop it by 5% every day or so till it gets around 40% humidity but in fall its low humidity anyways so that probably wouldn't be an issue. I hope that helps.

I think I've ordered seeds from Greenpoint, they seem like they have a good selection.

Peace

Edited by TheObserver, 08 October 2020 - 06:43 PM.

• Myc, PJammer24, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#4 Foxdogg

Foxdogg

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:23 AM

Thanks to you both. I'll see how it goes and report the results. 

• TheObserver likes this

#5 TheObserver

TheObserver

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,317 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:00 PM

How did it go if you don't mind me asking?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!