4 replies to this topic

#1 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 644 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2020 - 01:49 PM

I received some Zapotecorum genetics the other day that were a little funky. Some of it went to agar for clean up and some went to grain. It was a mess on agar and I'm still working with that. The grain got really scary too! As a Hail Mary, I tried some cardboard egg carton. I trimmed them to shape, soaked them in dilute 20-20-20 and tossed them in a glass dish then into the microwave. I think it took 3 x 36 sec on high to evaporate enough water and maybe a little pasteurization. After wiping out my microwave and letting the egg cardboard cool, I dumped about 1 tsp of funky grains into the egg cup and placed another piece of egg carton on top. These are in 5 cup tubs with micropore tape covered holes in the lid. The mini tubs are isolated from everything else.

First picture, looks like mold but the second photo with the wild yeast might have mycelium poking through? I'm thinking of soaking a pinch of fuel pellets in dilute 20-20-20, microwaving again and sprinkling on top.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201007_214818-1.jpg
  • 20201007_215019-1-1.jpg

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2020 - 11:57 AM

With the second photo having a tinge of blue or green adjacent to the largest white section, I would suspect that this entire section is the same type of mold with one section not having gone to spore yet. I guess the small little clumps may be the mycelium you seek but it is really hard to tell, at least for me, from these photos... Telling different mycelial growth apart is hard enough to do sometimes in person... Saying with confidence if a white growth is what we are looking for or some type of competing mycelium is really hard for me personally to do from photos in may instances...

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#3 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 644 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2020 - 01:48 PM

Thank you PJ for the response, I'll see if I can get a newer and better picture tonight. This sample was pretty forked when i received it so no telling what the growth is. The small little clumps almost remind me of vermiculite and im guessing it is wild yeast? I have 0 expectations for these but at least get some practice with egg cartons. I'll probably add a little pinch of damp fuel pellets on top after some pics.
  • PJammer24 likes this

#4 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 644 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:00 PM

I think you may be right PJ? When I zoom in,the white specks I thought might be yeast could be mycelium? If so, that'd be incredible!

Where is Sandman when you need him! :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201010_132100-1.jpg
  • 20201010_132158-1.jpg
  • 20201010_132205-1.jpg

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 10 October 2020 - 07:01 PM.

#5 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 02:34 PM

First, Why does your growing medium resemble a deformed vulva!?  hehe.  But seriously, I agree with PJammer24, the fuzzy white looks like a mold--not psilo-myc.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!