Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Will they germinate? The Old Spores Thread...

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 DickMoby

DickMoby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 10:33 AM

Yea, I know the risks,

If people can germ spores that are a thousand years old then we should get these to work.

Those are practically nonexistent in europe so you can be sure that Iˋll take it serious to put them back to life.

On the side Iˋm slowly spreading some american crosses here in europe, would be great to put them into the european catalogue aswell and help you refresh yours

• Freaky likes this

#22 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,246 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2020 - 11:01 AM

Yea, I know the risks,
If people can germ spores that are a thousand years old then we should get these to work.
Those are practically nonexistent in europe so you can be sure that Iˋll take it serious to put them back to life.

On the side Iˋm slowly spreading some american crosses here in europe, would be great to put them into the european catalogue aswell and help you refresh yours

I look forward to you sharing your work!
And just some history you may enjoy on the PE you’ll work with:
https://mycotopia.ne...-envy-isolates/
Lots of shit talk and other good discussion. And I didn’t have the chance to work out new isolates because life happened right after that.
  • DickMoby likes this

#23 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:51 PM

Man alive! Mrs. 3 told me you were back! Very good to see you around. I'll pm you...we will chat.  :biggrin:  :hug:

• Freaky likes this

#24 DickMoby

DickMoby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:28 PM

Those were some great strains!

The deformation of its stems is still visible on some of the newer PE versions,

http://sporeworks.co...oscopy-Kit.html

heres PE uncut, its by far not as strong as the OG PE but still present.

Here they have an earlier version of PE, the stipes look just like the ones in your grows

https://www.mushroom...m-spore-syringe

they have multiple pictures on that site.

Funny that you sent turds "caviar of poop" to friends for them to grow with them ^^

The idea posted here to use the pressure of a closed syringe to force water into the spores sounds actually good, activated charcoal is here and used in some of my plates, mostly for coloring but I did read that charcoal works as germination booster and slightly anti bacterial so that will definately be one of the things to try - syringe suppressed spores on low nute- charcoal agar.

The freezing will be tested too since it at least worked for the Rusty Whyte spores.

Is the isolation in the archieves?

The link on side one didn't work

• Freaky likes this

#25 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,246 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2020 - 05:35 PM

Man alive! Mrs. 3 told me you were back! Very good to see you around. I'll pm you...we will chat.  :biggrin:  :hug:

:hug:  :wub:

Hope you have been well my friend! Super happy to be back and able to hobby again.  Looking forward to that pm!

#26 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,246 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:00 PM

Went through another bin that was in storage and found some surprise supplies. 14 years and not a broken plate, some mycobags, some agar, and some Taz prints of unknown origin but my handwriting on the bag.  I also found two blower motor fans; one large and one small so a flow hood may be built in a few months when I'm bored during the winter. 

Suprise Supplies.jpeg

I'm going to do some no pour in small jars this weekend with this old agar. Don't think there is a shelf life but if there is someone please let me know.

It looks like there are quite a few Taz prints in the bag, I didn't open it but I can say these were not cold stored at all so least likely to germinate but I'll give them a test run first and see what happens. 

I was going to keep the first agar recipe simple for this no pour. It will be MEA or Brown Rice Syrup agar. Activated coconut charcoal (because I already have it) will be added. What is the normal add-on for the charcoal? 1 gram to the recipe? 

I know there are a lot of agar recipes but here I am most interested in simple and as effective as possible to germinate and bring life back to these prints. It's going to take a lot of trial and error and one reason I'm going to start with no pour agar since there may be a lot of waste at the start.

• dial8, coorsmikey, Moonless and 1 other like this

#27 DrepsiLocybe

DrepsiLocybe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 01:08 AM

ive had luck staring my cultures in centrifugal tubes (2ml) with sterile water. sat for about 5 days then try them on carbon agar.

id love to try and help you out of possible...

the Yosterizii and quazon sound pretty cool. let me know if i can help with anything :)

Edited by DrepsiLocybe, 15 October 2020 - 01:13 AM.

• Freaky likes this

#28 DickMoby

DickMoby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:20 PM

Nice kit of supplies!

Instantly ready to go.

acc is added 10g per liter as germination supporter and bacteria suppressant

• Freaky likes this

#29 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,485 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:59 PM

Haha you guys won't believe what I found.. whole box of prints that were in my back storage room I totally forgot about.. luckily I put them on the top shelf of the closet so they didn't get damaged too bad.. I will go through them later and post in my own thread what I have but I know there's at least one H3 in there freaky so you can save yours if you want.. seems to be a lot of falbino and pe6

20201015_144509.jpg
  • Freaky likes this

#30 DrepsiLocybe

DrepsiLocybe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:40 PM

Haha you guys won't believe what I found.. whole box of prints that were in my back storage room I totally forgot about.. luckily I put them on the top shelf of the closet so they didn't get damaged too bad.. I will go through them later and post in my own thread what I have but I know there's at least one H3 in there freaky so you can save yours if you want.. seems to be a lot of falbino and pe6

attachicon.gif20201015_144509.jpg

thats amazing! id love to get a hold of some if its ever possible :)

#31 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,485 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:47 PM

Just went through them.. if I don't get a chance to post them tonight I will tomorrow so watch for my thread
  • Freaky, Moonless, DrepsiLocybe and 1 other like this

#32 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:01 PM

I have a 9 year old rare mexicana print I’ve been struggling to germinate for some time. I’ve tried a couple different variations of nutes but no success yet.

#33 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,246 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:30 PM

ive had luck staring my cultures in centrifugal tubes (2ml) with sterile water. sat for about 5 days then try them on carbon agar.

id love to try and help you out of possible...

the Yosterizii and quazon sound pretty cool. let me know if i can help with anything :)

I appreciate this info, thank you! I have been organizing steps and timeframes to give the best chance. And you're welcome to a yosterizii - the quezon print was used but I kept the zip baggie because it still had spores so it may be a bit of wasted time. 

Nice kit of supplies!

Instantly ready to go.

acc is added 10g per liter as germination supporter and bacteria suppressant

Excellent, thank you!

attachicon.gif20201015_144509.jpg

:wub:  That's one hell of a find! Going to be a lot of fun to have us going through these old prints. I can't wait to see what is in there.

I have a 9 year old rare mexicana print I’ve been struggling to germinate for some time. I’ve tried a couple different variations of nutes but no success yet.

That is my one worry; I won't get my agar media recipe right for maximum potential.    

I've been reading up and some research shows quick spore to agar germination when adding yeast and active charcoal to basic recipes like malt extract or simple sugar nutrient agar. I may pick up some brewers yeast (inactive) do 5 with it and 5 without it from the same print strain. 

I plan on being very busy this weekend and will hopefully have a print hydrating in sterile water and a set of agar swiped.

• Mrs.Hippie3, DrepsiLocybe and DickMoby like this

#34 DickMoby

DickMoby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:44 AM

iˋve been looking for yeast last week, found these yeast flakes that vegans use as spice for a cheese like taste, those flakes are loaded with vitamins and minerals does anyone know if that stuff works too ?

wasnˋt sure and didnˋt buy.

The F Albino prints.

The spores are visible, are those leucistic mushs ?

#35 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,246 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:59 PM

iˋve been looking for yeast last week, found these yeast flakes that vegans use as spice for a cheese like taste, those flakes are loaded with vitamins and minerals does anyone know if that stuff works too ?

wasnˋt sure and didnˋt buy.

The F Albino prints.

The spores are visible, are those leucistic mushs ?

I'm not sure about yeast flakes, brewers yeast is easily accessible where I am so I'm going to try it.

I've been looking for some low cost bulk available options for the agar dishes. Yes I have petri's but I want something simple, easy to toss out if I need to, and easy to make more of without a lot of waste with agar media. Will make this much easier and fun to work on without having to pour such big plates only to have them not grow or if they're really dirty contaminated transfer out to regular sized petris constantly. I would prefer to keep my lab petris for clone tissue and isolation purposes.

I went to the hobby/craft store hoping to find small glass jar containers with screw on lids to do no pour with safely in the pc. Compared the cost of those with amazon and ordered some just to see how they'll do and how much 500ml of agar will pour in small 4 oz jars. I can use half-pints, but again, I'd prefer to do small pours with more dishes/jars to test these old prints. 

Then at work today we ordered out for delivery and my burger came with one of those clear plastic with clear lid ketchup containers for my french fries and I thought - ohhhhhh it's clear all the way around and I can probably pour in the SAB fairly easy and snap that lid on - no parafilm or tape. So went to grocery store and they have a bulk size package of them.  Thinking these would be great for spore printing caps too then just inject the sterile water stir it up and easy spore syringes. Or healthy agar can be slurried up for liquid innoculations. I am definitely going to try these once I replace the PC next week (maybe this weekend).  Have to have the PC if I want my agar my way.

I prefer glass and reusable but I also want to see the top of the agar, if anyone knows of small glass jar containers that have a clear lid or clear top please let me know. 

#36 DickMoby

DickMoby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 03:57 AM

I'll give the flakes a try in the next time.

For spores and cleaning I'm using 100mm plates, for transfers 40-60mm (bottom plate diameter) plates, all no pour sterilized.

Just bought some more plates, 15 x 100mm and 60 x 45mm plates.

no pour agar dishes have alot of water in them that needs to be poured out when cool and ready to use, I don't have a problem with that, routine makes it a quick process.

I know alot of people who use ketchup cups for agar, it works good!

It's a good thing to store them upside down to prevent condensation.

I've seen a guy wipe them out with iso before pouring and those ones contamed, the cups come sterile and are ready to use

• Freaky likes this

#37 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,246 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:12 AM

I am very happy to hear this info DickMoby! Hopefully I'll have the PC early next week and I can get some agar cooked and do a pour and get started.

• DickMoby likes this

#38 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,277 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:48 PM

This is an excellent thread.

I also have some old prints from the good ole days.  I too was on a break for a while.

I tried resurrecting a few of them with no luck.

Some came from trades with people like Dooby dooby doo, TCO, etc...

Speaking of trades, I miss the old trading thread.  It seemed like prints were flowing like water back then. :smile:

I have acquired a few fresh prints and replenishing my stock. :thumbs_up:

• Freaky likes this

#39 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,246 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:45 PM

Mushit!  :hug: Good to see you! And yes, there were always so many prints shared between all of us, maybe we can bring some of these back and trade them all around again. 

It's probably not likely I will have any success with any of these but I'm still going to attempt it and try some different things and hope to activate some of these to germinate in some way.

Got the PC today so I'll be cooking up some agar this week and hopefully have some trials to share.

I ordered some fresh syringes to work with while I mess with these old prints. I also located my PF Albino LC from a clone from my grow that printed. It was cold stored in a fridge for some years then it was only stored sealed up in cool darkness. I'd love to see if that LC will come to life again. Hell I'll be happy if any of them come to life again.

No matter what I'll be back to funging around  :meditate:

• mushit likes this

#40 DickMoby

DickMoby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:58 AM

It's only partly about this topic.

What about the storing of exotic spores and edible mushs ?
Is it best for them to be stored in the fridge too or even frozen ?

I remember the info from david barlow that copelandia cyanescens are best stored in the freezer but thats the only time I've heard about freeze storing of spores.

I'll get Hericium and versicolor very soon and want to start agrocybe aegerita aswell, not sure how to store their spores and my exotic spore library to keep them intact as long as possible
  • Freaky likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!