Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Will they germinate? The Old Spores Thread...

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#61 DickMoby

DickMoby

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 04:44 PM

No pressure man, take your time.

Maybe it germs like that  :cool:

I'll come back to the thread once the spores arrived and I got some things going, looking forward to see how everyone does!

#62 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,474 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2020 - 04:55 PM

Well, not the Dixieland yet. Hopefully tomorrow night if the mail arrives I can update. I have plenty of dishes poured ready to go. Going along with the same theme but with some ole prints from Mah's stash. I got the H3 going to agar today. For those that weren't around or don't remember, H3 is a cross between Dixieland and Hillbilly in honor of Hippie3 said to be two of his favorite strains. I also have some Hillbilly on agar that was sent to me, Dixieland from Freaky's stash on its way. If all goes well I am considering doing colchicine polyploid cross with the two for a new H3.2 strain. Its funny how all these classic strains are getting me all excited to grow some cubes again.

IMG_5129.JPG IMG_5130.JPG

• Freaky, Moonless and DrepsiLocybe like this

#63 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,320 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:03 PM

Mikey hopefully you'll get your card in the mail in the next day or so.  I can't wait to watch you work on this and create an H3.2

I am really hoping the H3 syringe I have can be brought back so I can work with it some. 

#64 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,474 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:19 AM

The card arrived yesterday Yay! Thank You for the opportunity to work the classics! I got home to late and tired to get anything started last night. Hopefully tonight I am more motivated to put them to agar and carve a pumpkin too.

• Freaky, Moonless and DrepsiLocybe like this

#65 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,320 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:41 AM

Awesome! Super excited to see what, if anything, anyone gets to germinate off these prints. As soon as I see any growth (good or bad) I’ll post an update.
  • Arathu likes this

#66 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,320 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2020 - 04:42 PM

Just a brief update - MaH and Mikey - H3 spore syringe from 2010 seems to be alive and well and germinating on the agar.  I'm hoping the next few days will really provide me with better viewing to see if it's mycelium that is healthy or if it's possibly contams.  However, the PFA and PE syringes from Sporeworks that were put to agar the same time have no growth yet, no contam growth or germination.  So I am hoping it is truly a healthy syringe and the agar will provide some healthy growth I can use and get some jars going with.

These agar jars were started 10/25 (5 no pour half pint agar jars).  I thought they were Ralphsters syringes but they may in fact have come from MaH when she was still selling spore syringes as a vendor? Or Hillbilly? The vendor used colored tape/tab to label the syringes and honestly it's 10+ years ago so I don't remember who I bought these from but it was a past Topia sponsor.  Workmans Sporeworks syringes are always identifiable but these I just don't know 100%.

Either way I am super excited and hope this is positive germination from the H3 syringe.  

I apologize for the bad pics - hopefully they aren't so bad.  

H3 Agar1 10-25-2020.jpg

H3 Agar2 10-25-2020.jpg

H3 Agar3 10-25-2020.jpg

H3 Agar4 10-25-2020.jpg

H3 Agar5 10-25-2020.jpg

• Tenderfoot likes this

#67 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,320 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2020 - 04:43 PM

Just a brief update - MaH and Mikey - H3 spore syringe from 2010 seems to be alive and well and germinating on the agar.  I'm hoping the next few days will really provide me with better viewing to see if it's mycelium that is healthy or if it's possibly contams.  However, the PFA and PE syringes from Sporeworks that were put to agar the same time have no growth yet, no contam growth or germination.  So I am hoping it is truly a healthy syringe and the agar will provide some healthy growth I can use and get some jars going with.

These agar jars were started 10/25 (5 no pour half pint agar jars).  I thought they were Ralphsters syringes but they may in fact have come from MaH when she was still selling spore syringes as a vendor? Or Hillbilly? The vendor used colored tape/tab to label the syringes and honestly it's 10+ years ago so I don't remember who I bought these from but it was a past Topia sponsor.  Workmans Sporeworks syringes are always identifiable but these I just don't know 100%.

Either way I am super excited and hope this is positive germination from the H3 syringe.  

I apologize for the bad pics - hopefully they aren't so bad.  

H3 Agar1 10-25-2020.jpg

H3 Agar2 10-25-2020.jpg

H3 Agar3 10-25-2020.jpg

H3 Agar4 10-25-2020.jpg

H3 Agar5 10-25-2020.jpg

• mushit likes this

#68 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,292 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2020 - 05:28 PM

10 years!  That gives me some hope.

Good start!

I will be pouring agar this weekend,and so it begins...........

Edited by mushit, 28 October 2020 - 05:28 PM.

• Freaky likes this

#69 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,320 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2020 - 06:14 PM

10 years!  That gives me some hope.

Good start!

I will be pouring agar this weekend,and so it begins...........

I am quite surprised also which gives me hesitation that it's possible the spore water in the syringe is what is germinating but I'm gonna stay positive and say it's the H3 spores - Hip would surely do something shocking like that lol

I can't wait to see how your old spore germination attempts go Mushit! I have quite a few agar jars left I am going to do some more testing on. I'll stick with the old vendor syringes for now until I have the hood up and running then I'll tackle the print to agar.

• mushit likes this

#70 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,474 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:20 PM

In a nerdy optimistic way I think I have germination on a H3 plate. May just be my eyes playing tricks still. No contams visible in any of the plates I started the same time. No incubation temp and actually the temps prolly average around 66f where my plates are stored. I could warm them up but I am ok with low and slow at the moment. once I can see that this is actually H3 myc I will move some of the others to someplace warmer. Here are some crappy phone camera pics of what I may or may not be seeing of the first life. Feel free to say I'm seeing things if you want but another day or two we will see for sure. I do love the anticipation.

IMG_5135.JPG

IMG_5136.JPG

• Freaky, Myc, Tenderfoot and 2 others like this

#71 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,320 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:33 PM

Kind of cosmic how we started old H3 spores on the same day Mikey!  :meditate:  

What is your agar recipe you used for those ketchup cups? I haven't decided yet if I like my old clear potato/beer/karo agar or this dark activated charcoal mea. 

Mine are on top of my fridge in an Omaha Steaks cooler so they're definitely warmer than my 64 degree house.  I hope we both get to do some good healthy transfers in a few days time.  

• coorsmikey, DrepsiLocybe and DickMoby like this

#72 DickMoby

DickMoby

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:07 PM

The card came today, crazy.. that went super fast, some cards took 3 weeks, this one took 7 days.

Just put gym luteo, aegerita, versicolor and erinaceum to agar aswell, with the frozen cultures and those prints its gonna be alot of love here very soon.

The "EC" print is Ecuador or something else ?

Gonna put some of these to agar in a couple days when I do transfers and make slants.

Excited to see how it goes.

cheers and best of success to everyone!

• Freaky and Tenderfoot like this

#73 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,320 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2020 - 04:32 PM

The card came today, crazy.. that went super fast, some cards took 3 weeks, this one took 7 days.

Just put gym luteo, aegerita, versicolor and erinaceum to agar aswell, with the frozen cultures and those prints its gonna be alot of love here very soon.

The "EC" print is Ecuador or something else ?

Gonna put some of these to agar in a couple days when I do transfers and make slants.

Excited to see how it goes.

cheers and best of success to everyone!

I'm so happy the card arrived so quickly! I didn't know the cost for postage so stuck a lot of stamps on it lol

Yes, the EC is Ecuador strain cubensis - thats a print from a grow I did from an early attempt at cloning in LC to grain to straight horse poo for bulk substrate. I've always been a fan of Ecuador strain or EQ's as some may label.

I can't wait to see what everyone has to share and discuss as we all begin working with these old prints and spores.

• DickMoby likes this

#74 DickMoby

DickMoby

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 06:31 PM

Not sure how much that was, I got letters that were 1,41$ from oregon or some with a single global stamp from arizona and minnesota, guess they are all in the same range.

Great Ecuador is new for me aswell.

Cheers

Its late here, 

Moby out

• Freaky likes this

#75 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,292 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2020 - 07:17 PM

Man, am I lazy!

I did an agar pour on Saturday and I just inoculated today!

Found a Hillbilly print from 2010 so I will start with that.

Shit, at the speed I am going, I will probably be fruiting a year from now!! :weedpoke:

• Freaky and coorsmikey like this

#76 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,474 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2020 - 07:47 PM

I got Hillbilly, Dixieland, PF Classic, H3 and CRS all on agar. The only germination so far has been Hillbilly and CRS. As I get more results I will update as I go.

• mushit and Moonless like this

#77 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,320 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2020 - 11:38 PM

Mikey I've put my agar on hold for right now.  The flow hood should be ready to fire up in a couple of days I hope and then I'll dig into some of these with an easier and cleaner work space.  I'm glad you got Hillbilly looking like it might be workable. That's a good update!

• coorsmikey likes this

#78 DickMoby

DickMoby

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 09:26 AM

Got some growth, doesn't that look great !

IMG_20201106_145719.jpg

IMG_20201106_145650.jpg

Just joking.

I don't like these plates, they are higher than the ones I like to use which seems to result in alot more condensation, the agar on them also boiled on the walls.

This agar run contained three different plate sizes, the other plates are perfect.

The Cinctulus plate was made from wild collected spores from a mate, this plate and the PE both bacterial. 

PE has two different bacteria cultures, definately gonna buy antibiotic agar and start them again, the agar mixture also contains peptone and yeast so should be great to start spores on it.

Goliath is clean but no growth visible yet.

Another observation is that the activated charcoal mostly sank to the bottom of the agar so to get the positive effects of the coal - no pour might not work here.

Gonna let them sit for a while to see if the coal maybe kills the bacteria over time or weakens it and if something germinates and grows away to then put it on antibacterial agar.

I'll report once some myc grew on a plate

Edited by DickMoby, 06 November 2020 - 09:56 AM.

• Freaky likes this

#79 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,320 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2020 - 07:10 PM

I hope the antibacterial agar helps the PE spores DickMoby!

I paused on my agar and work with the spores while I built the flow hood.  Now that it's done I'll really be putting a lot of time and effort into some of these old spores.  Hopefully as a collective working on them someone has a positive result.  

I'll update with some photo's on the Acadian Coast and those H3's - though the H3's seem to have stalled last I checked them and most likely were bacterial contaminated but definitely worth working further with.

• DickMoby likes this

#80 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,474 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2020 - 07:58 PM

Kind of cosmic how we started old H3 spores on the same day Mikey!  :meditate:  

What is your agar recipe you used for those ketchup cups? I haven't decided yet if I like my old clear potato/beer/karo agar or this dark activated charcoal mea. 

I'm sorry I missed the question. The agar pictured and what I started with is an MEAYP.

• 5gr agar
  • 5gr LME
  • 1 tsp Bakers Yeast
  • 1 fingernail full of tetraclycline
  • 1/2 tsp Peptone
  • 500 ml H2O

Next step is hydrating the spores in syringes with a glycerine H2O solution. Maybe add some glycerine as well to the agar.

Edited by coorsmikey, 08 November 2020 - 08:07 PM.

• Freaky likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!