• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:26 PM

The title basically says it all. My last few grows i noticed pooling water on the surface of the medium while the tub is still colonizing. I know im not supposed to open the tub Untill a certain number of days but hey, im a curious cat.

Usually when its about fully colonized then my anxiety kicks in and i am forced to gently lay paper towels down to soak up the excessive water. I do not remember my previous grows collecting this much h20 and am wondering if im doing anything wrong. Or right.

Edited by Dabluebonic, 13 October 2020 - 03:27 PM.

#2 DickMoby

DickMoby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:55 PM

Cheers,

I know that issues.

I do alot of things different than people recommend in their beginner guides.

One of those things is to hydrate the bulk substrate alot wetter than field capacity.

My tubs are covered with a piece of plastic bag for the colonization period.

Due to the extra water it happens sometimes that I got pooling water under the plastic, on top of the bulk.

Because I generally case everthing that doesnt matter, the case sucks up all the excess water.

Did you notice water drops on the lid of your tub ? 

If so then it most llikely dropped down on the surface.

Is the tub modded with holes or unmodded?

Unmodded tubs tend to drop from the lid (ime)

#3 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for the reply, It is unmodded and i usually keep the lid on tight untill roughly 10 days. If i do case, are you saying applying it dry might solve the problem?

#4 smellitstinknot

smellitstinknot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 08:24 PM

Poor FAE leads to greater temperature swings and condensation. Leave the lid cracked a tad and surface conditions will improve.

#5 DickMoby

DickMoby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:39 AM

I'd say on the dry side but I spray it moist after applying, a dry casing results in bad pinset.

I make sure to keep it wet the whole time but not fully saturated .

An addition to what smellit said,

Temp drops in the fruiting room can also cause condensation, colder air holds less moisture which lets the water from the before saturated warmer air condensate

#6 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 314 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:55 AM

Ok so that basically solved my problem. Ever sense the temp dropped this started happening. Its a shame i lost a tub yesterday. Seen the "green meanie". I believe the cold also played a role in this disaster.

#7 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 11:35 AM

Are you hand squeezing dry the bulk to field capacity or just guesstimating field capacity cause man I tryed hydrating coir by the recommend 3L of water per a brick and it comes out to dry so then I opted for "hot water bath" and it comes out to wet.

The step not to skip is the squeeze dry test.

If you squeeze it and only a few droplets of water come out, it's good. A light stream then it needs to be further squeezed until only those few droplets of water come out.

Doing so ensures you're mycelium wont purge the excess water to the surface and turn it into a overlayed swimming pool as I found out.

#8 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 693 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 04:51 PM

i just soak it up with a piece of tissue.

• Stencill86 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!