Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

should/how do I Sterilize vermiculite ??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:37 PM

ok. trying to start a vermiculite thread, to answer search questions related.

First I know that difference between pasteurization and sterilization, I know a well colonized jar of whatever stands a good chance against contamination, however i want to make sure my vermiculite is clean before I do brf cakes or grain spawn to substrate, 

Or any other teks involving vermiculite. can anyone speak to this even if it means buying a brand new bag evertime

• Arathu likes this

#2 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,301 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 04:34 PM

I sterilize vermiculite in quart mason jars in a PC for use in making substrates........

From the bag into the jar(s), then in to the PC.......Basically I'm pressure canning vermiculite.....

Most folks say it isn't necessary and making BRF cakes you're going to PC them anyway......

But if you must, and I'm not getting down on you at all for it, then a PC will do the job IMHO and experiences.......

I sterilize a bunch of utensils and also distilled water jars at the same time......everything aluminum foil wrapped, bagged, or in jars....

90 minutes later I let the PC cool a bit and then place it in front of my flow-hood....

After cooled to room temperature I remove my stuff in the HEPA air stream and store in a clean bin.....

A

#3 DickMoby

DickMoby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 05:00 PM

Like Arathu says, if youˋre going to make brf cakes then theres no need to pre sterilize the verm, the filled pf jars will be sterilized anyways.

Iˋm using plain coir as bulk and always sterilize it in jars the day before its used and let it chill over night in the pc.

If you want to sterilize your verm/coir bulk then you can do that.

I even sterilize all peat/verm casings. People have thrown all kinds of shit at me for doing that but it works for me and Iˋll keep doing it, only had a contaminated casing once and that was over the hot days when the air is saturated with all kinds of contamination.

Wasnˋt even a lost tub, just sprayed it with peroxide while opening to kill all spores right away (to prevent spreading them) and scooped the upper layer of the case out, fruited normal after that.

So if you want to sterilize your bulk you can go for it, verm for pf cakes is unnecessary to pre sterilize

#4 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 05:45 PM

Awesome Arathu thankyou.  I dont see why it would hurt! that verm is dirty looking stuff anyway! and then people role cakes and use it for all kinds of tek. 

verm isn't nutritious anyway right so why would anyone just only pasteurize. maybe the coir has beneficial bacteria but even then if you buy a brick from a pet store its probably sterilized or pasteurized anyway for your pet.

Just to reiterate the point in mind is that verm seems like it could be a point of contamination. rolling cakes casings etc...  

• Arathu likes this

#5 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:47 AM

You realize that it's ok for vermiculite to sit out as long as it stays dry.

It will be sterilized when you steam/PC your jars....that's the purpose of sterilizing your grow median.

Canning it for future use seems abit excessive but I'm not judging.

#6 Jrotten

Jrotten

Rejecter of False Authority

• Gold VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 03:26 PM

Add water, cover with foil in a pie tin, bake at 300 for 2 hours. That’s how I do my casings now and then just mist them to whatever level I want them hydrated

Edited by Jrotten, 16 October 2020 - 03:27 PM.

#7 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,906 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:31 PM

You realize that it's ok for vermiculite to sit out as long as it stays dry.

It will be sterilized when you steam/PC your jars....that's the purpose of sterilizing your grow median.

Canning it for future use seems abit excessive but I'm not judging.

Arathu was talking about verm for mixing into a substrate for a bulk type grow, or for casing a bulk grow (if I understood him correctly). 

It would go straight into (or on top of, for casing) a tub mixed with spawn, and pasteurized manure, or compost.  It does not get another sterilizing run, or it would kill the spawn that you mixed it with, as well as the beneficial bacteria in the pasteurized material.   

Verm is non nutritious and won't grow anything on its own, but that doesn't mean that other contams and spores can't be mixed in with it.  Especially if your working out of large bag that you've had open for a while.

• Arathu likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!