#1 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 563 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:28 PM

Hello all, ive come across a large amount of sassafras and am trying to figure out the best method to root. Any one with experience in the matter i would love some advice. Thank you in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201015_212158.jpg
  • 20201015_212120.jpg

• Skywatcher, bezevo, makinbones69 and 1 other like this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,690 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:33 PM

I have no experience with sassafras myself, but I remember my grandmother taking root cuttings to start in spring.

If its a hardwood, stem cuttings could be difficult, but I would still try. You seem to have a good amount, so I would prep 3 or so for rooting in water, I would also try a rooting hormone on some in a moist growing medium.

Prep consists of a clean fresh bottom cut, removal of most of the lower leaves, and only trying about a 6-8 inch cutting. I swear my grandmother could grow a stick if she took a mind to do it......

• Cooper Trouper, Sicshroom and YoshiTrainer like this

#3 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 563 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:06 PM

Thank you sky, I do have plenty to work with and I'm permitted to go back and harvest what I want. I took 2 rooted suckers as I couldn't find fruit or seeds. I thought for some reason I had seen someone take hard pieces and plant them in the dirt to root but it could be they had 1in diameter pieces of root they planted though which now makes more sense
  • Skywatcher, bezevo and YoshiTrainer like this

#4 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,137 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:08 PM

Look up air layering.
It is how most hard wood and fruit trees are cloned.

You scrap off about an inch ring of the bark on a branch about an 1inch or so wide.

Take sphagnum moss and wet it to field capacity,
Put root hormone on the wound of the branch,
Wrap the branch with the moss, and then wrap plastic wrap around the moss ball, then wrap that with tin foil to darken the whole thing. Leave it for a few weeks.
After a while it will root out enough to just cut the branch off completely and then you have a new tree:)
  • Sicshroom and YoshiTrainer like this

#5 solidago

solidago

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 11:52 PM

They mainly spread by the root. A big patch of sassafras may actually be only a few trees which have sent sprouts up from their roots. Getting the root is important for this one, I think a twig cutting and rooting powder isn't going to be as effective as it would for a soft-stemmed plant. Two years ago, I dug up a 12" tall one near the edges of a patch, being careful to get as much root as possible. I was able to get about 5" of good root before it broke off from the runner. Apperantly, for a 12" sapling that was enough root because it has done well and trippled in size since then. I kept it in heavy shade for the first year until it got established, moved it to partial sun this year. Full sun next year. Sassy is a fine tree with good medicine, hope you have much success in propagation.

• coorsmikey, Sicshroom and Boebs like this

#6 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 563 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2020 - 11:33 AM

They mainly spread by the root. A big patch of sassafras may actually be only a few trees which have sent sprouts up from their roots. Getting the root is important for this one, I think a twig cutting and rooting powder isn't going to be as effective as it would for a soft-stemmed plant. Two years ago, I dug up a 12" tall one near the edges of a patch, being careful to get as much root as possible. I was able to get about 5" of good root before it broke off from the runner. Apperantly, for a 12" sapling that was enough root because it has done well and trippled in size since then. I kept it in heavy shade for the first year until it got established, moved it to partial sun this year. Full sun next year. Sassy is a fine tree with good medicine, hope you have much success in propagation.

I went back a few days later and pulled up about 12 small suckers and 3 or 4 good size ones and have them in pots now. Hoping they will put out new growth in spring time as its in the 40s now and winter is close
  • Boebs likes this

#7 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2020 - 02:00 PM

Is there much demand for sassafras? I used to live on some land that had tons of it, with one tree having a stem diameter of ~10 inches, which is HUGE for a sassafras. I didn't even realize it was one until I cut it down (it was mostly dead).

I still go visit periodically since it's only a couple of hours away by car. I could bring a shovel next time and collect saplings until I got tired and it wouldn't look like I depleted the population at all.

• Sicshroom likes this

#8 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 563 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2020 - 03:04 PM

I had a few people on reddit willing to trade for it. I love the smell and some people like the active compounds in the roots
  • TVCasualty likes this

#9 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2020 - 06:25 PM

I've heard of these people, lol.

• Sicshroom likes this

#10 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,053 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2021 - 01:31 PM

hummmm up date please were you able to get your sassafras  to root .

#11 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 563 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2021 - 01:51 PM

So back when I took the branch Cuts tge day after I went back and took rooted saplings that were part of the large root mass. I have 8 in pots and 2 in a bucket full of water. They are all dormant but they still have green cambium if you break or scratch the small twigs. Once it warms up I'll post some photos of the new growth
  • Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!