• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Auhron

Auhron

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:07 PM

This will be my first attempt growing mushrooms. I'm going to try to keep a reasonable log posted on steps I have taken.

I started out by getting some mushrooms from the grocery store. I tried to get a spore print, but the mushrooms were old looking and the gills were wet so I didn't get anything. I opted to swap them and attempt to get a culture that way.  OMG BAD IDEA. I had 3 petri dishes of molds, yeast and random bacterias, though all showed signs of mycelium growth.  I deemed 2 of the dishes unworthy to attempt salvage.  The third dish was marginally healthier (I use the term loosely). I cut two sections from that dish and transferred them. One of those samples did nothing in its new dish. It just sat there. The other however grew a fair bit.

There are two spots of contamination I need to transfer away from.

20201017_144740b.jpg

20201017_144833b.jpg

Malt Extract Agar being incubated with no light @ 75F

Edited by Auhron, 17 October 2020 - 05:33 PM.

• Arathu and Moonless like this

#2 Auhron

Auhron

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:25 PM

Also moderators... I'm srry but there is an obnoxiously large version of one of these pictures in the gallery... I was having fun figuring out why it wasn't uploading..... feel free to remove that one.... I'll verify they are a reasonable size before I upload in the future...

Nevermind, I figured out how to fix that image over in the gallery myself.  :biggrin:

Edited by Auhron, 17 October 2020 - 04:30 PM.

#3 Auhron

Auhron

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 03:46 AM

Important Safety Notice:  When using alcohol to clean your work space (inside Still Air Box) wait for some time before attempting to flame sterilize any tools... Seriously. This is important... 

I took two transfers from my culture, away from the contamination onto new dishes. Both of those dishes promptly showed signs of contamination when I started incubation, the oyster mushroom mycelium is also growing out. Original sample still has only the pre-existing contamination and has almost completely filled the plate! The contam appears to be the same yeast that has been on all the plates I poured that batch (not in a SAB).  I prepared a new batch of plates inside of the SAB today and will be taking multiple transfers (probably 3 from each of the 3 plates) in the hopes of obtaining a clean sample. The new batch of agar plates is Activated Charcoal - Malt Extract Agar. 

The Liquid Culture started from a large chunk of interior stem has broken up a fair bit and is beginning to show signs of expansion in its mason jar. I also have a liquid culture of Shimeji that is showing nice signs of growth as well.

Pictures coming. =) 

• bezevo likes this

#4 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 898 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:38 PM

cool  grow welcome

#5 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,307 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2020 - 05:02 AM

Yes indeed using flammable substances for disinfecting things and open flame sterilization are mutually exclusive things......please be careful everyone.....

BUY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER and keep it close at hand when working.......

Welcome to Mycotopia Auhron.......I love some oyster mushrooms.. 

A

• Auhron likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!