Worst log ever... I did some things...with the mycelium. It grew. BOOM!!
I have The Block in fruiting conditions now. No promises but I'll try to take a picture each day.
So the Last month of grow log. I built a flow hood. Dual 99.97% HEPA Filtered (one smaller intake, and the larger 11.5" x 13.5" outflow). so only 1 Square foot of workspace, but I went from mad contamination open air transfers, to mid contam in a SAB... to fucking fireballs in shmuvboxes Safety is not overrated. Enter the not laminar flow Hood. My airflow output is not fast enough to truly be laminar, but it is close.
I read a book...
Another round of transfers. I managed to get 2 clean agar dishes, first attempt with flow hood.
Both attempts to start a liquid culture from these agar plates were unsuccessful. I did manage to get a grain jar going however. I then transferred my grain (1/2pint) into supplemented sawdust substrate (2 Pints). Substrate comprised of Softwood Pellets (no chemicals), Soy Hull Pellets, and a tiny bit of Gypsum. This substrate was hydrated to field capacity with boiling water then sterilized for 2 hours at 12psi. I then expanded these two pint jars into a medium grow bag (5.25pints by volume or roughly 2.5lbs.). I placed my block in the fridge for 4 hours.
The growth observed in the photo was not present prior to the fruiting blocks time in the fridge.
The Block is now sitting in a cool space away from direct light, but not in the dark. A deep Seedling starting tray with humidity dome is being used. Fruiting Conditions will be my biggest challenge. I have a rather substandard humidifier working to raise the RH.
I will be starting additional grain jars and attempting to get a liquid culture going tomorrow. I will also expand the mycelium on the plate I use tomorrow to an additional 2 plates. I'm going to try to get it rolling where I'm constantly fruiting a block of something. Incubation space isn't a problem, an ample supply of jars and a pressure cooker. I have a bunch of lentils, I've read mixed reviews on using them for spawn. Considering trying them. a couple 1/2 pint jars just to see.
The Non-Oyster Projects:
I have a button mushroom LC. super aggressive, from spore, abandoned agar dish due to contamination.
I have Shimeji and Portobello LC's started from mushroom tissue. the LC's are super clean looking but the growth rate is horribly slow. No agar work was done for these.
I have a couple of failed attempts at LCs for both Oyster and Cremini. Cremini was cloned on MEA, lost both agar and LC to contamination.
I ran through my stack of 25 disposable petri dishes pretty quick before I built the flow hood. I got a couple dozen glass petri dishes, more expensive initially but if I don't break them it will prove to be less wasteful. Far easier to sanitize than plastic.
I have ordered two LC syringes. Lions Mane and Shiitake. I am looking forward to working with both as well as eating them.
Edited by Auhron, 19 November 2020 - 02:05 AM.