145 replies to this topic

#21 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,952 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:53 PM

Yep they demand tons of FAE and so you'll have to also keep the humidity up.....it takes a bit to get your system dialed in but you're getting there.

A

• Auhron likes this

#22 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:56 AM

Yeah, - I'm going to set up an automated fruiting chamber.  Humidity sensor for the humidifier. A light (to augment the shortening days this time of year). A better fan, set up on a timer to provide 8x FAE per hour. I'm even going to set a  plant by the air intake (filtered) for some extra O2. It's going to be a journey.

Signs of life on my popcorn.

20201125_223007 - Copy.jpg

Growth in the liquid culture. I think I need to use a different malt extract, mine leaves my cultures with a weird cloudiness after sterilization, it's immediate and not increasing so I doubt that it is contamination.

20201125_223152 - Copy.jpg

I'm learning as I go. My LC Syringe of Shiitake and Lions Mane arrived yesterday. I used 3 of the 10ml of each. 1 per jar.

20201124_142901 - Copy.jpg

One brown rice jar for each, and two LC's. I'm saving the remainder of the LC Syringes for later, hopefully with the LC's I started I won't need to use them for a bit.

I also started Cremini Spores on agar. No picture here as it was underwhelming... imagine if you will: Two empty agar plates.

• Arathu, Tenderfoot, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#23 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,952 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:54 AM

When I make my next oyster blocks and take them to fruiting I'm going to use a single hole in the bags for fruiting. I'm hoping to get my 8X10 fruiting tent running this coming year. About the only thing I don't have is/are my fan unit(s) but I'll source them over the winter. I have a nice collection of high tech gadgetry for automation but I'm also making plugged logs so in case my work turns out to be folly Mother Nature will still make sure I have my mushrooms for food and medicines....and the by product(s) make really good dirt. 

Keep going! We're ALL learning as we go and isn't that a good point to remember......that's where our own growth comes from.....

My oysters really took off when they were let loose from enclosed chambers....i.e. the caps grew large (super tender and delicious) with much smaller stems (really tough and not palatable) It's in my edible and medicinal adventures thread I do believe.

Something like this......

post-113856-0-56944900-1504223352.jpg

And when I moved them outside (spore load from these things is absolutely insane so keep that in mind as they WILL literally make it look like snowfall and accumulation) because of the spores being produced they grew even larger, meatier, and changed to a brownish colored cap.....

Good vibes coming atcha!

A

• Skywatcher, Oam, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#24 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:24 PM

Those look much nicer than mine!  I'm planning on starting a couple of big pails with sawdust spawn / straw (maybe try one with grass clippings) for fruiting outside in the spring. I started this a couple months ago looking for something I could grow inside... outside is useless for half the year here. The initial plan was strawberries, I may have strayed from that slightly.  Now I want to grow more, different, hopefully better mushrooms.

• Arathu and cujoloki like this

#25 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,952 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:27 PM

Those look much nicer than mine!  I'm planning on starting a couple of big pails with sawdust spawn / straw (maybe try one with grass clippings) for fruiting outside in the spring. I started this a couple months ago looking for something I could grow inside... outside is useless for half the year here. The initial plan was strawberries, I may have strayed from that slightly.  Now I want to grow more, different, hopefully better mushrooms.

They are the result of going through exactly what you are doing.....and just hearing what others said about their oysters and applying it. You're there and now you're dialing it in....keep doing what you're doing.....

Good job!

A

• cujoloki and Auhron like this

#26 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2020 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement Arathu. 

Did some things today.  I made 4 filter lids with silicone injection ports for wide mouth jars. Cut down a filter disc, made the injection port with RTV silicone.

I hydrated some substrate for the next block of oyster mushrooms and got it sterilized. My half pint of popcorn is almost fully colonized, I intend to expand it to 2 pints of Supplemented sawdust. Then after that expand to fruiting block @ 4:1 sub - spawn. I'm going to make my fruiting block about 50% larger than last time.

Two more pints of popcorn soaking for sterilization tomorrow. I will be knocking one up with more oyster - going to roll it so once per week I'm starting to fruit a new block of oysters. The second pint of popcorn will be for Lions Mane. This LC of Lions Mane looks very happy.

20201130_201004 - Copy.jpg

My Shiitake LC is nice and clear, but the mycelium doesn't looks as pretty... it's also growing slower (as was expected). Going to wait a touch longer before I use any of this one.

20201130_201123 (1) - Copy.jpg

The Lentils as spawn idea, perhaps some vermiculite would have made it easier to break apart, but this is a solid mass of myceliated lentil. Apparently it is acceptable food, not surprising considering legume waste is considered to be one of the best supplements, but for use as spawn leaves something to be desired. I will have to break this up somehow...

20201130_000335 - Copy.jpg

PINS ON THE FRUITING BLOCK!!!

20201130_202419 - Copy.jpg 20201130_202428 - Copy.jpg

Hoping for a better 2nd flush, Getting my Tub tomorrow to build an improved fruiting chamber, all the other goodies for it are already on hand.  

Edit:  There is a spider hanging out by my fruiting setup... Protecting it from lesser creatures.

Edited by Auhron, 30 November 2020 - 11:24 PM.

• Arathu, Skywatcher and YoshiTrainer like this

#27 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2020 - 05:44 PM

Mushroom Machine Version 1.2

20201201_135023 - Copy.jpg 20201201_135037 - Copy.jpg

Inside is a 1680lumen 6500k led. I'm hoping it's not too much light. I know the frequency is fine, just hoping it's not too intense for the fungi. Some of the grow rooms in youtube videos for commercial farming have lighting that seemed much brighter than my led, so I'm thinking the mushrooms will be alright.

The Fan is rated for 62cfm. Volume of the tub is about 4 cubic feet. It's on a timer to run for 15seconds every 7.5 minutes, for 8 cycles per hour fully replacing the air within the tub. Ventilation holes near the bottom and top will allow for passive FAE, old tub had no ventilation below the halfway point so CO2 had nowhere to go, now there will be some BELOW the fruiting mushrooms. Larger Ventilation holes on side opposite fan are currently covered in micropore tape. Initially I didn't have them covered but I drilled 9  1/2" holes and it seemed like too much.

Humidifier is attached to an inkbird humidity controller. Watching it run for a few cycles I can tell already that my previous humidity was too high, the humidifier is off for more time now than it was while I had it attached to a timer. Additionally it is working to fill a 6x larger space. Having a means of measuring RH is awesome. Less guessing and hoping for the best now!

A FEW MORE PINS!

• Sidestreet and Arathu like this

#28 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,952 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2020 - 06:43 PM

You definitely don't need to get too crazy with lighting......just IME anyway but you may notice color differences in the mushrooms as result.....

Looking good! I wish I had a full sized building for my work.....I have way more experiments to do than I have room for......

I really want to get multi channel data logging going on in the fruiting area to "see" what's actually happening throughout the day and night.....

A

• Auhron likes this

#29 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2020 - 06:59 PM

You definitely don't need to get too crazy with lighting......just IME anyway but you may notice color differences in the mushrooms as result.....

Looking good! I wish I had a full sized building for my work.....I have way more experiments to do than I have room for......

I really want to get multi channel data logging going on in the fruiting area to "see" what's actually happening throughout the day and night.....

A

I had my mind set on an LED strip for lighting... that was a premade led bar that had the 6500k, it was also the right length to fit in tub.

That is how much room I have for my experiments =P plus that much again for incubation. You have your whole dungeon!

Multi channel data Data logging is many steps beyond where I'm at... or will be... for now... but that would be great data to have. Your technical expertise is bit beyond mine.

#30 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2020 - 08:52 PM

MORE PINS!!!

20201201_175818 - Copy.jpg

The Mushroom Machine looks cool in the dark.

20201201_175509 - Copy.jpg

• Sidestreet, Arathu and ElPirana like this

#31 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:11 PM

They grow!!!

20201202_183201_03 - Copy.jpg

There is certainly more growth happening on this flush than the first one. Hopefully my caps develop better.  They are getting a whole bunch more airflow with the new setup, but it's still just recycled basement air. Hopefully the CO2 levels aren't too high, only time will tell. I need to get some plants...

• Skywatcher likes this

#32 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2020 - 09:41 PM

20201203_191337 - Copy.jpg 20201203_191812 - Copy.jpg

• Tenderfoot, Skywatcher, Oam and 1 other like this

#33 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:56 PM

20201204_101558 - Copy.jpg 20201204_101547 - Copy.jpg

Looks like the caps are getting more development than the first flush!! That widest cap is as wide as the double mutant mushroom from the first flush (at this stage of growth); but this one is prettier, being not deformed. 

On another note, could an Admin please change the title of this thread, there are no Blue Oysters here :sad: ... I'm going to have to acquire a culture for the blue ones from somewhere... 

"Auhrons Gourmet Fungi Grow" seems like an accurate title.

• Arathu, cujoloki, Oam and 1 other like this

#34 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2020 - 09:27 PM

20201204_191233 - Copy.jpg 20201204_191243 - Copy.jpg

These look so much better than the first flush! Only 1 - 1.5 more days until I pick these, as soon as I see them dropping their plethora of spores basically. Black tub, Oyster Mushroom spores should stand out.

The fruiting stage of the Mushroom life cycle is fascinating to me.

Edited by Auhron, 04 December 2020 - 09:35 PM.

• Sidestreet, Arathu, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#35 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,952 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2020 - 04:15 AM

Now you're getting it dialed in for those shrooms.....make notes......and great job!

A

• Auhron likes this

#36 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2020 - 04:25 AM

I've got a little notebook (a bit more detailed than this log) where I'm recording everything used for LC's, substrate, variables in the Mushroom Machine, etc. Loads of amazing info buried deep in Mycotopia. That, in addition to the books I'm reading, leads me to believe there will be many more mushrooms in my future. So excited that this flush is working as intended.  The whole mushrooms teach patience concept is the hardest part for me. Patience for me is not a natural thing, I want to eat them right now... but I know they need at least another day.

#37 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2020 - 03:59 PM

20201205_130746 - Copy.jpg 20201205_130709 - Copy.jpg

• Oam likes this

#38 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2020 - 10:40 PM

20201205_202127 - Copy.jpg 20201205_202038 - Copy.jpg

This will be part of dinner tomorrow evening  :biggrin:

• Arathu, Skywatcher, cujoloki and 2 others like this

#39 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2020 - 10:45 AM

Harvested the Mushrooms 5 minutes ago!!!! In my excitement I forgot to photograph them. 5.6oz on this flush, 1.8oz stem cluster, 3.8oz of tender delicious caps!! the cap : stem ratio is the opposite that it was on the first flush. HOORAY!!

• Arathu, cujoloki and Moonless like this

#40 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 11:43 PM

Lovely!

I just put some Kings to blocks, ate some Oysters for dinner.

Never tried anything other then Kings. I prefer their sporeload based on all my research.

What's on the menu with those!

Arathu, is that a milk crate in your photo?

Edited by rockyfungus, 06 December 2020 - 11:46 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!