145 replies to this topic

#41 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2020 - 01:10 AM

I think Arathu mentioned they were filing crates in his Adventures thread, I might be mistaken.

Mushroom cream sauce over Chicken and Capellini (Angel Hair pasta). It was fantastic, I love the flavor of these mushrooms.

I want to grow all the edible mushrooms, must start slowly acquiring cultures.  Lions Mane and Shiitake are in the works. A new 50% larger fruiting block of Oyster is incubating now. Crimini spores have germinated and will soon be ready for me to make a LC.

In regards to the spores, pick the oysters just as the caps start to turn upwards (the beginning of the sporulation stage), or just before even. If you're anything like me and looking at them every few hours, it'll be easy to catch the right time to prevent the massive sporeload.

#42 Kmmfarm

Kmmfarm

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 12:03 AM

Great job there. First time I grew oysters they ended up looking like coral. Keep up the great work enjoyed the read and watching you progress and improve.
  • Auhron likes this

#43 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2020 - 06:39 AM

@Kmmfarm Thanks!   Oysters that looked like coral, most likely caused by insufficient light exposure during primordia formation (from what I've read). Did you have it somewhere it got lots of indirect sunlight?

• Kmmfarm likes this

#44 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2020 - 07:01 AM

Yes I used the small "organizer" crates and filled them with a paper pulp substrate then spawned oyster grain and chainsaw chips to them and let them colonize inside a big tub. Once they were 100% colonized I removed the lid and let air get to them....spray misted and wound up with so many oyster mushrooms that spore load became an issue...... :biggrin:

It's about page 10 or 11 of my edibles thread.......I plan on slamming the oysters out this year too.....

post-113856-0-76536800-1503871556.jpg

You guys are doing great stuff.....this mushrooming thing is kick ass.....good food, good medicine's, good folks........

A

Edited by Arathu, 08 December 2020 - 07:04 AM.

• Skywatcher, cujoloki, Oam and 3 others like this

#45 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2020 - 08:20 AM

So much Yum

• Arathu likes this

#46 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 937 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2020 - 09:00 AM

Great seeing your success on this grow Auhron! Your oysters are looking great!
  • Arathu and Auhron like this

#47 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2020 - 09:12 AM

Thanks! I am thrilled with the results so far. It has only just begun.

#48 Kmmfarm

Kmmfarm

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 03:26 PM

Yeah it had proper light, I just failed to give enough air exchange. This was like 8 years ago now. I have been in the world of mycology since 2006, and learned from Paul Stamets at one of his mycology courses back in 08.

#49 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2020 - 06:39 PM

That's really cool. I'm learning from him too! Just through his books. =)

• cujoloki likes this

#50 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2020 - 10:49 PM

Shook the popcorn jars today (pint jars), they were all looking pretty good.  The Brown Rice jars I started with Lions Mane and Shiitake ( half pints) are coming along slowly, I don't think I had them properly hydrated. Also they are super sticky so shaking them is useless...

Has anyone ever tried just adding  say 1/2oz or 1oz of sterilized water to a grain jar that seems stalled out? I do have LC for both of those cultures, maybe I should just add more of that?

20201208_195413 - Copy.jpg

All the stuff I have going, with the exception of a few LC's

• Arathu likes this

#51 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2020 - 06:55 AM

Absolutely....I definitely study what Paul Stamets has to say about mushrooms.....and other things as well....

GGMM and Mycelium Running are sitting right here at my desk.......

My experiences with attempting to alter hydration after sterilization have not ended well......just IME....

A

Edited by Arathu, 09 December 2020 - 06:56 AM.

#52 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2020 - 07:22 AM

Mycelium Running is sitting on my desk too - Though I have only read the first couple chapters. Still working with GGMM, and Peter McCoys Radical Mycology. I've read them both cover-to-cover twice, going through with highlighter now. I've learned so much in the last 8 weeks.

As for altering the brown rice jars hydration, I might just be being impatient. I did only put the tiniest bit of LC into those jars initially.  I'll keep waiting.  :sad:

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is. The only function of a school is to make self-education easier; failing that, it does nothing."  ISAAC ASIMOV

Edited by Auhron, 09 December 2020 - 07:23 AM.

• Arathu likes this

#53 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2020 - 11:48 PM

Two days after shaking. The left is oyster mushroom, the right is Lions Mane.

20201210_212322 - Copy.jpg

• Arathu, Oam, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#54 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2020 - 01:56 PM

Next bag of Oyster ready to go on the right, Shiitake just taking off from the grain, 2 days on the left. Lions Mane grain spawn went into Supplemented Hardwood today (no picture). My other Oyster block is in the fruiting chamber right now on flush #3 Primordia forming everywhere EXCEPT where I opened a hole for it to breath...

20201218_111947 - Copy.jpg

The red is a weird reflection it's not really there.

More Masters Mix (but with softwood pellets instead) in the PC right now for my next Oyster Block, I'll add the grain spawn tomorrow. Enough wheat soaking for 3 more grain jars. 1 for each species I'm working with, to be sterilized tomorrow.

My Cremini Spores germinated, grew to about 5mm spots of mycelium then stopped. I took a tiny bit out with a syringe and started LC's a week ago not much growth at all anywhere. Probably a nutrition issue, apparently agaricus species like peptone supplementation for both agar and LC. The mycelium apparently grows slowly as well. I'll keep waiting.

Edited by Auhron, 18 December 2020 - 06:02 PM.

#55 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:31 PM

Softwood!

You might be in trouble. Oysters almost eat anything so might be ok, I've always stuck with hardwoods.

#56 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:44 PM

It'll be good. They're Oysters, They literally eat everything. the bag was $2 cheaper than the oak pellets. Just wait until spring when I break out the lawn clippings...  :biggrin:

The Shiitake and Lions mane I used oak pellets. I'm not screwin' around there.

• rockyfungus likes this

#57 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:11 PM

Lawn clippings I'm intrigued.

I usually use my compost mixed with some straw if I have any.

#58 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:39 PM

It'll be good. They're Oysters, They literally eat everything. the bag was $2 cheaper than the oak pellets. Just wait until spring when I break out the lawn clippings...  :biggrin:

The Shiitake and Lions mane I used oak pellets. I'm not screwin' around there.

Hahahaha that's excellent stuff Auhron...! Oysters do eat whatever you put them to and I definitely like using grass clippings.

It's almost payback for having to mow it and I have an excuse to let it get longer but as a mulch/casing it's proven excellent in and on top of beds of all kinds....

Living greenery too.....

A

• Auhron likes this

#59 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:14 PM

Yeah -  I have a rather large lawn and a mulching mower so I usually just let the clippings ride on the lawn, this year I'll be bagging some of it and turning it into food  :cool:

Also taking out a 6'x24' section of lawn to grow some veggies, so I'll use a bunch of clippings as mulch too.  there is no such thing as yard waste

#60 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:28 PM

Everything from my yard goes to compost pile at some point, that or fire.....

Waste is a verb so yard waste is an activity......IMHO

I don't rake leaves either I mow them and make fertile the ground....my yard is more herbs than grasses... :biggrin:

A

• Skywatcher, smellitstinknot and Auhron like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!