15 replies to this topic

#1 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:46 PM

Last night I watched the new Netflix exploratory doc The Social Dilemma and was thoroughly tuned in to its message. The film features an exploratory look at the unintended consequences the tech and social media industries have created through their investment in AI and machine learning as well as their business model.

Many of us have heard the phrase "If you are not paying for it, you are the product." but the film puts forth a more refined notion ”It’s the gradual, slight, imperceptible change in our own behavior and perception that is the product.” To hammer this idea in, the film explores the scarily-irresponsible use of psychology, manipulation and even hypnosis to achieve the massive growth tech companies have achieved in the last 15 years. And once these websites have your attention, advertisers are willing to spend a great deal for it.

We all know at this point that targeted Facebook ads had played a large role not only in the election of Trump but also the organization of countless protest and extremist movements. But after watching the film you might wonder just how much of our mass moralizing deployment is our human nature or driven by the social media AI.

​I highly recommend those interested in Resist and Rebel type stuff to give this film a watch. I know that it made me self reflect on a few key things today and I hope it will do the same for you too.

• Coopdog, FLASHINGROOSTER and xlcor like this

#2 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:31 AM

So I’ll admit I am not naive but I was blown away by some of the stuff on there. I also watched it last night. Been a little fucked up today.
  • Moonless likes this

#3 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:36 AM

Dude it was whack! Me personally use alot of youtube and even get my news from it, its my main large social media and reddit is slightly behind. Despite that, I still felt like my online life started to make sense, knowing that the algorithm is created to cultivate maximum watch time on each item by each person.

The networks and companies know alot about you lol.

#4 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:02 AM

I’ll openly admit, between getting abandoned by the military, my lack of trust for the government, and the YouTube algorithm, I definitely went all tin foil hat back in 13-14.

Edited by Misfit, 18 October 2020 - 09:02 AM.

• Moonless and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#5 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:03 AM

Oh yeah. It's a fucking echo chamber.

The moralizing? Outrage at inequality? Totally engineered.

but to what end? Eleven year olds taking puberty supression medication and getting sex changes?

I can tell you for certain whose loving this. The pharmaceutical companies making the medication.

If you want to keep going down the rabbit hole; check out the documentary "Century of Self"

It's a 4 part doc, 4 hours long, discussing the social engineering of america starting back in the 1920's with Edward Bernays (sigmund freuds nephew).

TLDR: bunch of head executives met in a room and said "We need to change america from a needs based economy to a desires based economy"

and then wham, bam, thank you for mind controlling me man, and we have the world we live in today.

edit: Well then, also, Have to mention Marshall Mcluhan; who famously said "The medium is the message" - In that, the medium through which the message is transmitted has a greater effect on a society than the message itself. The very action of watching television is more impactful than the content that the television shares.

And then, consider Leonard Shlain's "the alphabet vs the goddess"- wherein he examines the impact that the introduction of the alphabet had on cultures- in short; Egalitarian, matriarchal cultures rapidly morphed into heirarchical, patriarchal ones once the alphabet was introduced (But do your self a favor and check out this book- Definitively one of the top three non-fiction books I recommend to anyone).

So, what effect is social media having on us as a society? (as a species?)

Edited by Severian, 18 October 2020 - 10:19 AM.

• Coopdog, DonShadow and Moonless like this

#6 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:12 AM

Haven't watched it, but well familiar with the tactics;

The real impact of this, is, well, tricky to truly discuss with anyone

Try this thought experiment

Imagine anyone you know, and then ask them this question

Are you a a robot?

Then imagine the answer.

I'm willing to bet any amount of money that they'll say "No"

"So you have your own opinions? " "You're an autonomous being?"

You can see where this is going.

I can't pretend to unravel the vastness of the psychological programming; but at least some of the issue here is that insecure tenacity with which we've learned to cling to our fix-ed identity / worldview.

In so much as, (and I'm speaking in general, about the majority of the human species whose done no innerwork/self exploration whatsoever), cognitive dissonance prevents these people from even considering that their much-cherished illusion of "I" is only that...

In short; it's going to be the rare individual who is willing to accept that their entire conception of self is a lie.

• clumsy, ElPirana and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#7 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,103 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:53 AM

I've hear adds about this movie but haven't seen it yet. I will ad it to my list of things to do when it gets cold though. There is a 2010 version that I heard should be seen first. Another Netflix Original I believe called "The Social Network".

#8 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:57 PM

I was listening to a great podcast from Eric Weinstein that introduced this idea to me. He connected it to the fact that 80% of facebook shares hadn't even been read by the poster, instead the headline was the message. In our culture of short attention spans, the clip is the message, the headline is the message, ect.

I went to Erics Twitter page and found this idea posted. We are divided because our division as a society is more profitable to the advertisers, news agencies, tech companies and even our politicians.

post-159119-0-08891300-1603043788.png

And building on your idea Sevarian, no one thinks that they are unconscious or in a state of hypnosis most of the time because we all make so many choices and consume so much media and information on a daily basis. The only way to prove that we are mostly in a state of hypnosis is to have people break their habits and only then do we realize how different conscious life is.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#9 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 412 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:52 AM

it surely is interesting that Christ was supposed to have said "Those who wish to save their lives will lose it"

or something to that extent

#10 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,890 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:17 PM

Ah fuck should have read all the reply's again... sticking with it anyway

I have been meaning to watch it but I know it will just piss me off even more. The jig is up on the whole AI game. We were all so scared about the robot revolution we forgot about the horrible possibility of it doing everything we command. Folk like to think that they are intelligent and therefore immune to propaganda and influence, but when you realize how easily we are swayed it's quite scary. I think I read a quote on time saying that the intellectuals are often the first swayed by propaganda

If a person want's to rewind the whole scene I recommend watching the century of self. It's a four part bbc series that dials the clock back to after world war two. The elites were scared after what happened during ww2, they realized the power of the masses and wanted to try to control mass genocide from happening again.  It starts with the formation of advertising mixed with psychology that focuses on manipulating the subconscious mind. They realized you don't sell a car by giving out facts, you sell it by giving a feeling, so they learned to play to our subconscious desires. It's pretty scary when you realize how malleable our thoughts and opinions are. As a population we really haven't even come to terms with the effects of advertising on the mind. Let alone a constant barrage of computer curated opinion articles and meme's produced just for you.

Another thing I recommend watching is the whole Cambridge analytical scandal, or just jump to the brexit movie with Benedict Cumberbatch. They elude that whole brexit deal was the test run of a system used to persuade a population. Aggressive micro targeting had never been used at this scale before. The reality is that Facebook and twitter have become weaponized. So much so in other countries that a fake picture of twitter posts have escalated into a lynching

This crap is the reason our privacy is so important, it's going to come with some personal sacrifices to be able to kick the addiction but I hope we can get there

[Direct Link]

Cumberbatch, what a name

[Direct Link]

one more homework assignment and you will probably never want to use an app again.

[Direct Link]

The one guy said it all in this HBO documentary, ya I know it's damaging to our society but if the opposition is going to use it so am I

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 19 October 2020 - 05:28 PM.

• Moonless and Severian like this

#11 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,890 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:22 PM

Dude it was whack! Me personally use alot of youtube and even get my news from it, its my main large social media and reddit is slightly behind. Despite that, I still felt like my online life started to make sense, knowing that the algorithm is created to cultivate maximum watch time on each item by each person.

The networks and companies know alot about you lol.

They know more about you than you do

• Severian likes this

#12 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2020 - 01:58 AM

The marketing companies create an avatar of you through how you react to online content. This creats a personality avatar which can determin your political learnings and values. Then with the partnership of machine learning and AI can create a personalized suite of content to keep you online and market you twords politics and products.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#13 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,258 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2020 - 04:51 AM

While I had a general idea of most of that, I was pretty shell shocked by it for sure. Yet still there go I...

#14 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,890 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:06 PM

They use it everywhere, I was dating a girl that was telling me they use that technology to recruit students at their university. She said they can fairly accurately guess your thoughts and opinions based on a few simple things like your age and where you live

#15 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 412 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:18 AM

They use it everywhere, I was dating a girl that was telling me they use that technology to recruit students at their university. She said they can fairly accurately guess your thoughts and opinions based on a few simple things like your age and where you live

That is, if you use social media. (and beyond that, consume popular entertainment.)

#16 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:29 AM

Pop culture has been doing this to us for years. Read about Disney’s subliminal shit. Been brainwashing us for years.
I took a humanities class revolving around pop culture. Shit was eye opening also.

Edited by Misfit, 25 October 2020 - 09:30 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!