8 replies to this topic

#1 toldmedat

toldmedat

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:47 AM

A saved post:

I would like to make large mushroom bags. So I decided to try the agar route to mitigate contamination and shorten the colonization period that leads to fruiting. But now I've seen people try the liquid culture route for more fruiting. Is it possible to combine both methods for optimum result? Or would agar do? I know people have their personal preference but I would still like to hear people's view. My first concern is definitely contamination issues though.

I would also appreciate discussion on agar like how best to inoculate spore prints on agar, how long it would take to see results, and how to clean up contamination on agar.

If someone already asked please link me. I'm still figuring this site.

#2 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,101 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:00 AM

With agar, you just scrap some spores off a print and either swipe them on the surface or some people stab them lightly into the agar.
You should see results any where from 3-7 days.

I have no experience with lc however, from what ive read around here, you can pretty much take any start form and drop it in an lc
Alot of people drop a small wedge cut out of agar into the lc.

There is some great agar pages around.
Il see if i can post a link or two here
  • FunG and toldmedat like this

#3 toldmedat

toldmedat

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:22 PM

With agar, you just scrap some spores off a print and either swipe them on the surface or some people stab them lightly into the agar.
You should see results any where from 3-7 days.

I have no experience with lc however, from what ive read around here, you can pretty much take any start form and drop it in an lc
Alot of people drop a small wedge cut out of agar into the lc.

There is some great agar pages around.
Il see if i can post a link or two here

Thank you.

#4 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 812 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:08 PM

An LC made with agar ingredients is still an LC. Which one you use depends on your application.

#5 FunG

FunG

"Trump 2021"

• Free Member
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:25 AM

Cleaning up contamination on agar is simple.

Observe the growth on the agar plate, select the best mycelium available, cutt out the wedge of mycelium from the surrounding contamination using a sterile scalpal/exacto blade, use sterile tweezers to grip the wedge and place it into the center of a new petri dish....wait for the myc to recover.

Of all goes well, you wont see anymore contamination reoccur on the transfer plate, if it does then repeat the first step and transfer again.

If you have those special liquid culture lids that are required cause lc's contaminate very easily. Then you can start a lc using the clean myc wedge and mass propagate a ton of spawn with little to no effort. Which is what I think you said that you wanted to do.

The alternative route you could go is

Agar wedge to grain spawn master and then
Grain to grain transfer

But that's more work then using a lc....its just lc's like I repeatedly say are prone to contamination unless you've got those special lids.

I really need to order myself some so I can avoid bringing out the glovebox for g2g's its cramped, motion is restricted cause I use the gloves and I get hot and sweaty being cramped up and yea...it generally feels to much like work......

#6 toldmedat

toldmedat

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:51 AM

An LC made with agar ingredients is still an LC. Which one you use depends on your application.

Yeah I just found a video that somewhat clarified that. Thank you

#7 toldmedat

toldmedat

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:56 AM

Cleaning up contamination on agar is simple.

Observe the growth on the agar plate, select the best mycelium available, cutt out the wedge of mycelium from the surrounding contamination using a sterile scalpal/exacto blade, use sterile tweezers to grip the wedge and place it into the center of a new petri dish....wait for the myc to recover.

Of all goes well, you wont see anymore contamination reoccur on the transfer plate, if it does then repeat the first step and transfer again.

If you have those special liquid culture lids that are required cause lc's contaminate very easily. Then you can start a lc using the clean myc wedge and mass propagate a ton of spawn with little to no effort. Which is what I think you said that you wanted to do.

The alternative route you could go is

Agar wedge to grain spawn master and then
Grain to grain transfer

But that's more work then using a lc....its just lc's like I repeatedly say are prone to contamination unless you've got those special lids.

I really need to order myself some so I can avoid bringing out the glovebox for g2g's its cramped, motion is restricted cause I use the gloves and I get hot and sweaty being cramped up and yea...it generally feels to much like work......

I have the tools to make lc lid but I don't think I'm interested presently. I'm making a flowhood next week so G2G would be something for me for November. Question when you transfer to the next petri dish, does the next petri dish have to have agar or empty?

#8 FunG

FunG

"Trump 2021"

• Free Member
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 11:09 AM

The next petri dish has to contain a nutrient median, so agar, yes.

Usually when people prepare agar thatll pour multiple dishes and use them as required. Properly sealed and stored agar petris will stay good for quite some time.

#9 toldmedat

toldmedat

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 02:25 PM

The next petri dish has to contain a nutrient median, so agar, yes.

Usually when people prepare agar thatll pour multiple dishes and use them as required. Properly sealed and stored agar petris will stay good for quite some time.

Okay thank you
  • FunG likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!