Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

How much can refreezing San Pedro increase yield?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 greenskeeper

greenskeeper

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:01 AM

Talking about refreezing fresh San Pedro to release more alkaloids for citrate tea or A/B extraction.

Do you think it's necessary?

How many freeze-thaw cycles to complete the job?

How much could the yield be increased by refreezing compared to freezing once or not at all?

#2 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:04 AM

It depends what tek you use for extraction.

For instance Kash's A/B Mescaline Extraction, found on a popular site on the internet, does not require freezing.

The same is with 69ron's D-Limonene Mescaline Extraction.

BUT ... House's cacti preparation tek requires freeze and thaw at least 3 times. But it's not an A/B extraction.

In this tek only water is used as a solvent, therefore it is necessary to break down the cell walls of the material used for the goodies to get into solution.

In my opinion when using A/B extraction tek using chemical solvents, no freezing is required.

But if anyone knows better than me (and I know literally nothing after 6 days of internet research) ... post here.

#3 greenskeeper

greenskeeper

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:18 PM

Here's another A/B extraction tek people might not have seen that uses refreezing: https://steemit.com/...-hlc-or-dry-tek

It seems that people think it's useful for fresh cactus but not for powdered.

I don't think the non-polar solvents (xylene, toluene, limonene) have what it takes to break cell walls but I think bases like NaOH and pickling lime do.

For A/B teks that involve filtering out cactus solids before extracting, the only solvent most of the cells will see is acidic water.

I'm going to do an A/B extraction starting with blend, freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw, boil, freeze, thaw, filter and see how that works out. Unfortunately I have part of a different cactus this time so it won't be a good comparison to previous yields.

#4 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:27 AM

Thanks for posting the link. I like the step-by-step instruction with all the pictures added.

My supply of xylene arrived in the mail today.

I aggree that the solvents will probably not break the cells walls.

I will use NaOH, it will get very hot when mixing to the cacti mush.

I will be prepared to cool it down when that happens.

I will post some pics when I come to a good result with this tek.

• greenskeeper likes this

#5 FunG

FunG

"Trump 2021"

• Free Member
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:56 AM

Unrelated question, but where might I find San pedro's cacti to purchase?

I've always wanted to grow one for the purpose of the extract. I had the extract one time from a friend in the states and it was the most peace I've ever been at lasting 12 hours. Beautiful experience, I've been intrested in it ever since.

#6 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 11:58 AM

Unrelated question, but where might I find San pedro's cacti to purchase?

I've always wanted to grow one for the purpose of the extract. I had the extract one time from a friend in the states and it was the most peace I've ever been at lasting 12 hours. Beautiful experience, I've been intrested in it ever since.

Accidentially I just looked some up in ebay - from a spanish seller named habitacactus.

A few collectibles I could find there. They look active to me.

But be aware - many people are disappointed by the yield they could get from SP - extraction wise - so I bought myself a bridgesii cutting, rooted it and a few months later made a top cutting and took the middle part out for my first extraction experiment. It's now in the freezer.

And a question: What color was the extract? Was it crystal like or powder? Brownish or white? I ask because I want to wash my extraction yield to get rid of resins and other alkaloids.

The opinions are very different when it comes to the other alkaloids. Some say they are the pure blessing - like a candy flip.

Others say these are responsible for an unbalances and speedy trip.

I will never know from reading alone so I am thinking about giving my yield a good wash.

Edit: Um he sends to Europe only. Anyway should you find something from this seller I can add to my order and send to you.

Edited by Alpoehi, 21 October 2020 - 12:02 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!