8 replies to this topic

#1 DarkPassenger

DarkPassenger

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 03:40 AM

Good Morning my Fellow Veil Peepers,

Quick question... I had been using, up until recently, fine black vermiculite for my PF Tek grows but noticed an unusually slow growth rate on several separate runs. FYI, APE,. which could explain some of my observations based on various threads I have read here on Mycotopia. So, I started thinking (dangerous, I know :) and then I started researching different types of vermiculite.

After realizing that there are different grades (fine, medium, course), I decided to attempt some grows using each of the various types. Tests currently in progress.

I suspect that a hybrid combination of fine and medium vermiculite will ultimately result in the best substrate as the medium verm will likely provide better aeration, while the fine verm will nestle its way into some of these pockets of space to provide the surface area and substrate needed for actual growth but that is just a hypothesis. My only primary concern at this time is whether the hybrid Verm approach will result in stable cakes at the end of the incubation.

I am looking for insight from some of the intermediate to advanced veterans growers. What grade verm or combination of verm do you use to increase the probability of successful PF Tek grows? Any brands of note?

Also, any secret ingredients that you use besides gypsum and instant coffee that you would be willing to share? I read in the Magic Mushroom Bible that both of these expedite growth. For example, someone recently made mention here on Mycotopia of adding agar to the verm and I was wondering if folks had used agar or other additives to increase successful grows.

In parallel, I just started working with grains. I like to have several projects going at the same time ever since this pandemic came to pass. Helps keep me busy and reduces stress, for me anyways. I'm also an insomniac, so it keeps me from getting too bored in the middle of the night/early morning hours.

Anyways, I would love to hear your thoughts. Any thank you in advance for your assistance. Stay frosty out there.

DP
  • wharfrat likes this

#2 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,566 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:17 AM

I use horticultural grade, medium I think. I a big bag, so there's always some very fine stuff in the bottom, I find it compacts more than I like in cakes, so I save it for substrate mix.

I don't use any additives, but I'll look up a link for you. (After coffee,lol)
  • wharfrat and DarkPassenger like this

#3 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,566 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:24 AM

Here it is:

https://mycotopia.ne...ercake-formula/
  • DarkPassenger likes this

#4 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:51 AM

I  bought a gigantic 4 cu ft bag of vermiculite  with coupon on  Amazon,  it was  only $29.95 delivered . It was listed as Course  , but i woulda called it medium to large . i use it for several different things ,potting soil ect ,

• wharfrat and DarkPassenger like this

#5 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 268 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 01:25 PM

I've used fine, medium, and coarse vermiculite in pf cakes, all with a 2:1:1 vermiculite:flour:water ratio by volume. All worked fine.

#6 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:03 PM

medium or coarse is best, you want those little air pockets in your mix. mycelium will run much quicker than if you use, let's say fine. With that said, I can not for the fife of me find coarse grade, without ordering online. At one time I bought a huge bag from lowes of medium grade, and have yet to run out. I no longer use the PF tek, but i do add a little verm to the bottom of my grain jars, to soak up any excess moisture.

coffee is good, but you should only use "used" coffee grounds. Coffee is very acidic and mold likes acidity, so you need to add something to balance the PH, like pickling lime. You can take you change without it, but from my experience, you get much better results by getting the PH up to at least 6-7. gypsum will buffer but not change the PH enough.

#7 DarkPassenger

DarkPassenger

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:37 PM

Here it is:

https://mycotopia.ne...ercake-formula/

That is one interesting recipe! I can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the link jkdeth!

DP

#8 DarkPassenger

DarkPassenger

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:39 PM

coffee is good, but you should only use "used" coffee grounds. Coffee is very acidic and mold likes acidity, so you need to add something to balance the PH, like pickling lime. You can take you change without it, but from my experience, you get much better results by getting the PH up to at least 6-7. gypsum will buffer but not change the PH enough.

wharfrat,

I've been using insta coffee based on info I read in the Mushroom Bible... I'll have to give spent coffee grounds a go. Thanks for the info.

Best,

DP

#9 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:52 PM

I’ve been buying big bags and it’s “coarse” but really a mix of all that I end up sifting the fine stuff out of .

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!