Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

What contamination smells like rotten eggs or sulphur?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:35 AM

I had some old grain spawn that I needed to use and threw it into an old sub that I had had for a month or two in a bag in a hurry and hoped for the best. Now shit happened, almost literally, and the whole shit smells like suplhur and rotten eggs lol.

I'm obviously gonna destroy it, but I'm just wondering would it be safe to open the box where it's growing or should I just throw it away all together, so would you know what kind of contamination smells like rotten eggs? This happened in a matter of days, the sub smelled fine when I spawned it.

This shit is truely disgusting.

#2 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 755 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:46 AM

I'd of assumed it was some kind of anaerobic bacteria based on the smell you describe - except I'd of expected the spawn or closed up substrate to have smelled straight away when you opened them.

Was the substrate too wet?

After you mixed the spawn and sub did it have adequate FAE?

#3 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 02:10 AM

I'd of assumed it was some kind of anaerobic bacteria based on the smell you describe - except I'd of expected the spawn or closed up substrate to have smelled straight away when you opened them.

Was the substrate too wet?

After you mixed the spawn and sub did it have adequate FAE?

No it did not have a proper FAE. It had absolutely no FAE. This was done in a hurry and I didn't pay too much attention to it, and ofc it went to shit as I forgot to leave the lid of the box loose.

It has to be anaerobic bacteria. I just tossed it into a trash bag. There was no visible signs of any kind of microbiological growth, not even myc. So it was probably laden with bacteria as it started to stink in two days. The sub did not have any unusual smell when I opened the bag up, and it was definitely not too wet, rather almost too dry.

#4 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:27 AM

Sounds to me that it went anaerobic due to moisture and the lack of fae. Most common bacteria in mycology is bacillus which is a archaea rod shaped bacteria that admits a brown slime.

#5 ericcapton

ericcapton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:16 PM

Sounds to me that it went anaerobic due to moisture and the lack of fae. Most common bacteria in mycology is bacillus which is a archaea rod shaped bacteria that admits a brown slime.

I'll check that out. I have to stress though that the sub had no signs of bacterial nor any other micro-organism growth other than the extremely foul smell., and the sub was on the dry side. It's quite interesting, I think I got to the bottom of it. I had it in a bag after pasteurizing it for 1-2 months or so. It was not in an airtight container, but I did stuff the stuff to oven bags in order to fit it all into one go. I believe that's where it went anaerobic, the dense sub mass didn't leave space for GE inside the core of the sub and some anaerobic bacteria took over.

I don't know if it would have been saveable by letting it sit outdoors in fresh air a bit. My neighbors wouldn't have appreciated it I believe. A lesson learned - don't store stuffed sub bag in room temperature for 2 months, it'll go bonkers.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!