Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Substitutes for E.L.M.E. in making liquid cultures...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tankado78

Tankado78

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 06:01 PM

Hello myco family n community. I've been looking into making liquid cultures, but as I mention in some of my other post, I'm going or doing everything pretty much low budget. With that being said, I was wondering if there's anything in my kitchen cabinet that I could use besides a light or regular malt extract. The price of the malt extract isn't serious, but i would have to order online n wait for it to arrive n I really don't wanna wait. Once I have something on my mind, I like to go ahead n execute. So, if any of my fellow myctopians have experience with the LCs', I'd greatly appreciate your feedback. As always, thank you in advance!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,474 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2020 - 06:37 PM

Light Corn syrup and potato water has been a favorite of mine for 20 years. I just had to bust some out cuz my LME is harder than a rock from sitting in storage.

• Tankado78 likes this

#3 Tankado78

Tankado78

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 06:43 PM

Thanks mikey! Of course after I made the thread or post ive found a bunch of different ones on here. Still, if your recipe has been rocking for 20+ yrs, I'd like to think n say its definitely one of the better ones. I'm gonna go ahead n use the Karo n potato water. Now if only I can remember where I've pit the digital scale to weight out the Karo, I'd be on top of the world! Lol. Thanks for your input/advice. I don't have to say it but I'm gonna anyway.. you ROCK bro!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#4 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,567 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:23 PM

I will second the corn syrup and potato water!

Another I have used is just oatmeal.

Just 15g oatmeal boiled in 500ml water, strained, add enough water to balance out to 500ml again, heat to simmer and add 10g powder agar. You need old fashioned oatmeal.

Some just grain water and agar. I have not trued this yet.
  • Tankado78 likes this

#5 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 08:24 PM

If you happen to be making grain jars, the water adjusted properly makes a great LC. I’ve been using light corn syrup just because it is so clear and lacks the condensate of LME. I do like malt better, but not if I can’t filter it first.
  • Tankado78 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!