Baphom3t

A Watcher

• VIP
  • 582 posts

Donator

Posted 25 October 2020 - 02:05 PM

Just like the topic title says.

What is reality?

The purpose of this thread is to show that multiple realities exist simultaneously within the same concept of space and time that we all share. Every response to what reality is in this thread is another reality, which shows the proof that multiple realities exist simultaneously.

So.....

What is reality?

#2 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,041 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2020 - 05:24 PM

Brings up a question my wife asked me.

What do you make of
"I think, therefore I am"

#3 DickMoby

DickMoby

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 05:40 PM

"Reality is only what your mind chooses to believe, is that the truth?"

• makinbones69 likes this

#4 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 810 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 05:45 PM

I feel strongly that humans play a small part in molding what we know and experience in the world both individually and collectively. One reality you have control over the other you do not. Both items being real, I guess what's left is a personal choice between positive molding or negative molding of ones environment.
I'm not saying that human consciousness can create matter. But the great spirit can do this and made a world for us to practice this notion to see what we make of it while we live human lives.
Individual and collective human consciousness molding pieces and versions of our reality, that's what I see happening.
Thankfully we are of the lowest forms of conscious beings possessing free will. This will be our saving grace.

#5 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 810 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 05:46 PM

I feel reality is what my mind chooses to make.

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,471 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2020 - 06:39 PM

The moment after you have had a good ride existing in multiple universes, dimensions, timelines, with the most beautiful visuals that you have ever experienced. That very moment that you realize the psychedelics are wearing off when your are relieved that you are gonna land, but sad to see the trip over and wondering  what is more real, the last 6 hours or what you are coming back to. I'm so tired but don't want it to end, the word I use to describe it is "Reality".

Edited by coorsmikey, 25 October 2020 - 06:56 PM.

#7 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

A Watcher

• VIP
  • 582 posts

Donator

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:13 AM

The purpose of this thread is already showing it's relevance simply by the differing realities that have allowed themselves to emerge within the posts made here. Who's next?

#8 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:07 AM

I find it interesting that mostly bandwidth limited beings would even consider that "they" could make the call.......(aliased samples of data make for aliased perceptions)

Beyond our individual tiny bubbles of perception we simply do not know.....but we feel better because we have a word for "it".......

So the ego's like to pretend that they "know".......consensus reality is a far better approach to the question IMHO.....

It may all be illusion, or even delusion, but it's damned persistent.....

What if "we" are individual channels in a much larger mind? I dunno......

Reality might be what you make it out to be......but when base jumping I'd suggest following the consensus of the subject matter experts......

Just sayin.....

A

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#9 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 October 2020 - 06:54 AM

“THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.”

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#10 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:21 AM

It has been said that metaphysical speculation is something to be avoided, and I think I mostly agree, save to say that the term “reality” suggests (to me at least) a primacy of that state, a suggestion that “reality” is a goal, an end, a place of resolution, integration and stasis, when in fact our multiverse might better be perceived as a giant bowl of soup which has different flavours and ingredients depending on which part you are swimming in. Or something. Who knows?

#11 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:55 AM

M

One's interpretation (or personal distortion) of reality =/= 'R'eality

This is entirely a linguistic issue, in which truth becomes lost through the equation of two terms that are in no way actually synonymous.

Thanks be to the New Age movement for propagating this sugary sweet lie that 'we create our own reality'

'R'eality can be apprehended directly, without distortion, but it's likely that the majority of the human race goes their entire lives without touching it even once.

• Asura likes this

#12 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,059 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:32 PM

Reality is... what is... then surely that is reality!

Now...

What is? 

#13 xlcor

xlcor

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:26 PM

I am real, and the wholes of which I'm made are real, and the wholes I make up are real. The question of "what is reality?" is lame, in the crippled sense, because it doesn't give us any new explanatory powers. At some point, reality has to be defined in terms of consciousness and vice versa, and that's the fundamental enigma. There's no denying it, and there's not really any further description or explanation other than its simple exercise. We can't get under it, we're already on top of it, so the best we can do is go on absurd tangents to either side.

This is, of course, the Debbie Downer answer, the I-recognize-the-question-but-refuse-to-participate response. That's no fun. I think reality is breathtakingly beautiful and far beyond my meager powers of speech, possibly even of perception. Realty is history's best Bacchanalia so drink deep and be merry.

• greenskeeper likes this

#14 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,059 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2020 - 06:31 AM

Yeah... it's an odd question. 

Here's a better question... is it the case that "if x^2 = 1 for every x in a group G then G is abelian"?

Edited by Guy1298, 28 October 2020 - 06:32 AM.

• xlcor likes this

#15 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:10 AM

Reality is two computers trying to make sense of all this raw data.

One computer is processing all the facts coming into our sense organs and the other computer is trying to jump to conclusions to save processing power. Using past experiences and knowledge to predict the most likely outcome.

or

turtles

#16 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,901 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2020 - 03:31 PM

One thing is for sure

[Direct Link]

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 28 October 2020 - 03:34 PM.

#17 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

A Watcher

• VIP
  • 582 posts

Donator

Posted 28 October 2020 - 05:47 PM

I get the sense of various forms of monism from the responses so far.
No problem in that.
Of course reality can't be defined or equated that's not the point of the thread.

The point of this thread is to show that multiple realities exist in the same space and time. The responses in essence proves that reality for everyone is not the same for everyone else, which leads back to multiple realities existing at the same time and space.

Let's look at another aspect which touches on matter and consciousness. A musician creates a song with their brain and mind before they physically play it out to other people, which shows musicians bring the conscious ideas out from inside themselves in the form of a melody or song to the physical world.
Basically, the physical body is the portal between the inner and outer world for the basis of matter and consciousness and vice versa.

Edited by Baphom3t, 28 October 2020 - 06:26 PM.

#18 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:20 PM

Is the reality of entropy universal?

Unless it can be reversed contrary to known laws of physics, then there's at least one point of absolute universal reality that all manifestations of matter and energy (sentient or not) will experience identically: The End.

Even if the Universe "bounces" by ending in a Big Crunch (assuming expansion stops and then contraction begins at some point), the Crunch will be the universal end to this Universe.

If all that "Universe" stuff is a subjective reality shared by a relative few primates then there still has to be a place where subjective reality exists, so there's a universal Universe around here SOMEwhere even if it's like 23 turtles down. And if it began it too will have to end some "day" just like in the mind-altering story I linked in my previous reply.

So the ultimate question as far as any manifestation of reality is concerned is “How may entropy be reversed?”

Failing that, all subjective realities will eventually turn to cold, dark ashes floating in an infinite Void, forever.

That might sound pedantic since it'll be at least a few trillion years from now before things get to that point in the universal Universe, but then in a fascinating synchronicity I just (as in not long before writing this reply) I stumbled across a line in an interesting essay that might be the most profound thing I've read in years (hard to tell): "Close your eyes and count to one. This is what forever feels like."

When I think back on how long it feels like it took to get from my earliest childhood memory to the present moment, it basically feels like no time at all and more time than I can imagine (at the same time, so to speak).

So it'll be here before we know it.

Edited by TVCasualty, 28 October 2020 - 07:29 PM.

#19 xlcor

xlcor

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:41 PM

@Baphom3t

I'm not a monist, but I'm also not a dualist. Both can be easily shown to be lacking, just as every philosophy can ultimately be. Their tradeoffs make them too fragile for my purposes.

@TVC

I personally really like the idea of the apoptotic universe.

#20 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:44 PM

Re entropy, I “intuit” that universal entropy is not achievable. Something very close to it, but somewhere in the universe there is the pea in the pile of mattresses (that’s a clumsy “princess and the pea” metaphor).
I’m also a firm disbeliever in nothingness, which is to say that there will always be something going on somewhere which will fuck with a state of near-absolute stasis/entropy

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!