• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 11:41 AM

Are we all observing the same events, and just our minds are spinning it to fit our framework of reality?

#22 greenskeeper

greenskeeper

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 07:31 AM

Reality is what there is. Everybody has their own imperfect view of it. When our views seem to be in agreement, there's a good chance that what we're looking at is reality.

If there really are multiple realities then really there is only one reality that has sub-realities. Can reality be divided into sub-realities? Maybe everything is a sub-reality of something else.

Good fun but is it useful?

• Severian likes this

#23 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2020 - 01:29 PM

Are we all observing the same events, and just our minds are spinning it to fit our framework of reality?

All indications are that the answer to that is "it's complicated."

Exploring extreme contexts in physics can probably help illuminate more mundane mysteries since physical reality is presumably consistent throughout the observable Universe. So what goes on around the edges of black holes might tell us a lot about the much mellower reality we inhabit.

But almost everyone appears to agree on one thing. In some way or other, space-time itself seems to fall apart at a black hole, implying that space-time is not the root level of reality, but an emergent structure from something deeper. Although Einstein conceived of gravity as the geometry of space-time, his theory also entails the dissolution of space-time, which is ultimately why information can escape its gravitational prison.

https://www.quantama...n-end-20201029/

But the true explanation doesn't lend itself very well to a visualization, and that troubles a lot of people. What you must calculate is how the quantum field theory of empty space behaves in the highly-curved region around a black hole. Not necessarily right by the event horizon, but over a large, spherical region outside of it.

We cannot calculate the absolute energy of empty space, whether it's curved or uncurved, but what we can do is calculate the difference in the energy and properties of the quantum vacuum between empty and non-empty space.

When you perform the quantum field theory calculation in curved space, you arrive at a surprising solution: that thermal, blackbody radiation is emitted in the space surrounding a black hole's event horizon. And the smaller the event horizon is, the greater the curvature of space near the event horizon is, and thus the greater the rate of Hawking radiation.

The real explanation is a lot more complex, and shows that the simplistic picture of Hawking has its limits. The root of the problem isn't that particle-antiparticle pairs are popping in and out of existence, but that different observers have different views and perceptions of particles, and this problem is more complicated in curved space than in flat space.

Basically, one observer would see empty space, but an accelerated observer would see particles in that space. The origin of Hawking radiation has everything to do with where that observer is, and what they see as accelerated versus what they see as at rest.

https://www.forbes.c...sh=685d056824a1

Reality is what there is. Everybody has their own imperfect view of it. When our views seem to be in agreement, there's a good chance that what we're looking at is reality.

Or it means we're hanging around like-minded individuals; is "consensus reality" the same as "reality?" I see no reason why delusion can't be a fractal phenomenon (e.g., religion). I'd be shocked to learn that it isn't, actually.

Good fun but is it useful?

We might not find out until after we die. We may not find out until after we die many, many times. Or we might just die into total oblivion and whatever happens while we're alive is all there is to it, in which case something being "good fun" means it's arguably among the most useful things we can do (assuming that enjoyment of life while it lasts is "useful").

Edited by TVCasualty, 03 November 2020 - 01:30 PM.

• FLASHINGROOSTER and greenskeeper like this

#24 greenskeeper

greenskeeper

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 05:27 PM

Consensus doesn't mean you're necessarily looking at reality, but the chances are higher. If I see a tree, it might be there or not. If we both see a tree, it's more likely that a tree is there. There is always the chance that we are all deluded or that I am deluded to think that you all exist.

It seems likely to me that everything is god and god is everything, and we are parts of god talking to himself. I'm not sure what to do with this idea.

Contemplating the nature of reality is fun like balancing spoons on your fingers. Not a waste of time while you're enjoying it.

• Severian likes this

#25 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 03:08 PM

I've drawn you all a picture to illustrate

Note how the character two has more blocks between him and 'capitol R-eality' than character one, and how character three has zero. 

Attached Thumbnails

• what is reality.jpg

• greenskeeper likes this

#26 greenskeeper

greenskeeper

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 04:52 PM

I like the picture :) I like that reality is a thing that can, in theory, be seen.

The problem is for the people to know which bits they are looking at. They all might believe they sit outside of the filters. What if discussions about the nature of the filters and barriers are actually just adding to the cultural distortion? How can one know?

20201104_111340.jpg

#27 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2020 - 06:18 PM

Consensus doesn't mean you're necessarily looking at reality, but the chances are higher. If I see a tree, it might be there or not. If we both see a tree, it's more likely that a tree is there. There is always the chance that we are all deluded or that I am deluded to think that you all exist.

I guess it depends on the scale we're perceiving reality at. For two people to agree that they're both looking at a tree there needs to be a huge stack of interconnected emergent properties present, all of which individually (or none of which) could be argued to be reality.

At the molecular/atomic as well as the cosmic scales of awareness the concept of "tree" is meaningless, though it's debatable if imagining the atoms that comprise a tree counts as "seeing" them. But if I could see atoms then at that scale all I'd probably perceive is a vast endless plain of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen (not sure if there's any nitrogen in tree bark). It would be interesting to find out if I'd perceive the nitrogen and oxygen of the air touching the bark differently than the atoms comprising the bark, or if it would appear as a chaotic barrage of N2 and O2 molecules against a surface of static tree bark molecules/atoms.

It seems likely to me that everything is god and god is everything, and we are parts of god talking to himself. I'm not sure what to do with this idea.

Check everything out. Literally. There's time, apparently. For now. It's what to do after we've/I've experienced everything that bugs me, which was addressed in that story I linked above.

Contemplating the nature of reality is fun like balancing spoons on your fingers. Not a waste of time while you're enjoying it.

Except there are no spoons... :tinfoil:

Edited by TVCasualty, 04 November 2020 - 06:22 PM.

• greenskeeper likes this

#28 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,929 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2020 - 10:17 PM

Energy... and cognizance, which is also energy. Maybe I should say intelligent energy... period

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!