• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Mrtrippy777

Mrtrippy777

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 06:57 PM

Well I've made it this far... I started with a popcorn spawn and introduced to my bulk substrate now were fully colonized . So now do I case or do I wait for pins to form then case or case and wait? Here are pics

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201015_194836_01.jpg
  • 20201025_184404.jpg
  • 20201025_185535.jpg

• Coopdog likes this

#2 Mrtrippy777

Mrtrippy777

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:03 PM

Oh and does the cake in the top corner look like it is suffering from over lay?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201025_190140.jpg
  • 20201025_190205.jpg

#3 Mrtrippy777

Mrtrippy777

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:04 PM

I was just wondering because this is the only cake that colonized the verm casing.

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,474 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:06 PM

You didn't mention the species of mushroom? Looks like cubes from here and I wouldn't do a thing to that sub if it is. Leave as you  have in the pic. And for the second post, Please define overlay? That definition should answer the second question.

#5 Mrtrippy777

Mrtrippy777

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:10 PM

Yes they are cubes I got the spore from premium spores they were called Air force 1

#6 DickMoby

DickMoby

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:11 PM

You can either leave it as it is or apply a thin layer of vermiculite that you can keep moist during the fruiting.

A casing is not needed for cubes but can be helpful.

I case everything but again its not needed

#7 Mrtrippy777

Mrtrippy777

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:13 PM

Hey coors I'm about to start an ape grow and was wondering how well they take to grain from spores

#8 Mrtrippy777

Mrtrippy777

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:18 PM

Or should I make a liquid culture first then inoculate my grain

#9 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,474 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:31 PM

If you have APE spores, then you should most definitely start a culture somehow other than shooting a syringe into a bag of grain. Also it is not a good practice to shoot a syringe of spores into a LC either. Not saying it doesn't work or that I don't do the same sometimes. It's just doing it both ways described is a crapshoot. But if you knew the history of APE then you might consider that its a mushroom that doesn't produce spores easily. Often to get a spore syringe of APE requires a centrifuge and quite a bit of skill. Personally I would make culture on agar then transfer to LC then I would have enough to go around for a long time, But if you don't have any experience with LC's then that can be a whole new game.

• Coopdog, Baphom3t and Boebs like this

#10 Mrtrippy777

Mrtrippy777

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 08:45 PM

No I have no experience with lc other then the little research I've done on them im very green to the mycoworld but I'm a fast learner and im always looking to learn more it gets a lil overwhelming trying to digest all of the information in this big world i wish there were a text book written on this subject from start to finish with all techniques and methods

#11 Mrtrippy777

Mrtrippy777

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 08:47 PM

All I have at the moment are spore syringes of the mushies I want to grow can you make agar using a spore syringes id imagin you could but I've never read that anywere?

#12 Mrtrippy777

Mrtrippy777

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:02 PM

Oh and how do I add pictures to my gallery?

#13 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 809 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:32 PM

Oh and how do I add pictures to my gallery?

This should help
gallery_150062_1521_50453.jpg

#14 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 809 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:42 PM

All I have at the moment are spore syringes of the mushies I want to grow can you make agar using a spore syringes id imagin you could but I've never read that anywere?

If you want the highest probability of success split the spore syringe between grain LC and agar.

#15 jrh

jrh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:46 AM

You can either leave it as it is or apply a thin layer of vermiculite that you can keep moist during the fruiting.

And then mist the vermiculite? How much / often?

#16 DickMoby

DickMoby

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:21 AM

"And then mist the vermiculite? How much / often?"

I chose to comment here that he could use a vermiculite casing for two reasons.

A) he just started growing and I don't want to overwhelm him by recommending a pasteurized peat/verm casing - based on the pf tek pics I know he definately has vermiculite at home.

Vermiculite can just be "sterilized" in the microwave and then applied purely when cool and verm alone won't contaminate, while a peat/verm casing adds the risk of contamination.

B) He didn't use a liner so the bulk will dry out alot faster and the whole thing is already visibly shrunk even before flush 1.

A casing has different tasks, one of them is to add moisture for fruit body production.

I read everywhere that spraying directly should not be done and I kind of understand why - because spraying directly can abort the pins if done with too much pressure.

Spraying bulks without a casing layer directly can also lead to pooling water on the surface.

So I understand why that info is out there.

Tho, if a casing is sprayed gently without any pressure (pull the trigger very slow!) then it can easily be sprayed directly during the whole fruiting to keep it wet.

I keep it slightly wet until pins are visible and then spray it a little wetter and keep it wet (not fully saturated but wet) by spraying it directly once a day until the point when the veil starts to form.

No more misting at that point to allow the mushs to use up the moisture before harvesting.

I also don't spray around the mushs, just from above over the whole surface.

https://www.amazon.c...03704046&sr=8-7

thats what I'm currently using, its a fine mist bottle that sprays very fine fog with less pressure which makes it even faster, safer and more effective.

Normally I use a 50/50 white peat/fine verm casing thats slightly ph adjusted with a little sodium bicarbonate but a fine layer of pure vermiculite works aswell (1-2mm layer).

The peat/verm casing I go 2-4mm depending on how agressive the cube variety colonizes - more agressive = thicker casing.

Thats how I grow very successful with very good pinsets even on cultures that are only 1 transfer after multi spore on agar.

Short note: peat/verm casings give much better pinsets than pure verm casings but verm does the job good to keep the surface moist.

Thats quite some text but I felt like explaining what and why I do it

• jrh likes this

#17 jrh

jrh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:17 AM

I was just asking because I have a pan of cubes that looks about the same and in the past I've had problems with small mushrooms I believe due to surface drying, or lack of moisture in general.
  • DickMoby likes this

#18 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 09:05 AM

It’s a lot to read and process and work through but you are doing pretty good . There is definitely a steep learning curve but you’ll get it

#19 Mrtrippy777

Mrtrippy777

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for the input Moby I do mist my tray to prevent it from drying out it seems spraying a fine mist up above it and letting fall onto it works best to the right amount of moisture

#20 Mrtrippy777

Mrtrippy777

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:09 PM

I will look into your casing methods i have just moved another grain spawn of burmas to a lil bulk trey and have another ztype, spawn about 5 days from fully colonizing so I may try a couple methods and see which tray has the best results

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!