• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 planetcaravan03

planetcaravan03

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:53 PM

Well this sucks. I know it happens but I'm still aggravated about it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Trich.jpg

#2 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:19 PM

My first pans that actually had a real pinset just went green.  I get it.  Man do I get it.

#3 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 809 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:33 PM

How did you prepare your substrate?

#4 planetcaravan03

planetcaravan03

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:03 PM

Coco/Verm I did the "bucket tek". Boiled two and half quarts of water and dropped in a 5 gallon bucket with half a brick of coir. Let it soak overnight with the lid on. I mixed about two hours into the process. 

#5 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:37 AM

Coir/verm wont give out to trich that easily. Judging by the appearance that green mold came in with the spawn since it's kinda mixed in from one end to the other.

Sometimes a jar can be fully colonized on the outside but have giant pockets of green mold on the inside undetectable. That's why the sniff test should always be done prior to dumping the spawn in or look for "smokey" movement inside the jar once shaken.

Sorry about your luck man, I too know the feeling of a months worth of efforts getting pissed away 30x over. It's always sour grapes when it happens.
  • fahtster, Tenderfoot and pastyoureyes like this

#6 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,044 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2020 - 07:27 AM

Not a total loss, well.. depends on where you live, could be getting too cold.

Put it outside and see if you can get some out of it still.
  • Arathu likes this

#7 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 222 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2020 - 08:57 AM

Coco/Verm I did the "bucket tek". Boiled two and half quarts of water and dropped in a 5 gallon bucket with half a brick of coir. Let it soak overnight with the lid on. I mixed about two hours into the process.

That’s not quite the bucket tek, most likely the problem. The bucket tek needs to be done very precise. Seems to me like the substrate might have been too wet, adding an extra half quart of water to the mix right from the start. I always adjust the moisture with bit dry verm if it seems a little wet during the first mix, but ya gotta use that shit ASAP once it cools down enough. I’ve done close to 100 bins with this tek last year and had great success. I hope you can get it to work out next time man, I know the frustration.
  • pastyoureyes and planetcaravan03 like this

#8 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 809 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2020 - 07:52 PM

Did you open the lid during colonization at all?

#9 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2020 - 08:22 AM

It's only a waste of your time IF you aren't learning from it.......

Try a woodlover that takes at least a year to mature before even considering fruiting......

And then nothing, as in the mycelium get consumed by something else.....or a different species fruits......or a wild species invades.......or bloody squirrels and rodents.....or pesky humans...... :angry:

It's even better when you follow out the creation of plug spawn and then inoculate logs and wait.......and wait........ :tongue: and wait........

Isn't learning fun????

Humility and patience is what I've learned......and the need to follow strict procedure, techniques, and discipline......

The move to the outdoors has proven itself over and over IME....

Stick with it....you're doing great!

A

• coorsmikey, Microbe, smellitstinknot and 1 other like this

#10 planetcaravan03

planetcaravan03

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 10:27 PM

I did once about three weeks after colonization started. Wanted to see where it was at but I couldn't see past all the moisture on the sides of the tub. It was fine then.

#11 planetcaravan03

planetcaravan03

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 10:29 PM

It's only a waste of your time IF you aren't learning from it.......

Try a woodlover that takes at least a year to mature before even considering fruiting......

And then nothing, as in the mycelium get consumed by something else.....or a different species fruits......or a wild species invades.......or bloody squirrels and rodents.....or pesky humans...... :angry:

It's even better when you follow out the creation of plug spawn and then inoculate logs and wait.......and wait........ :tongue: and wait........

Isn't learning fun????

Humility and patience is what I've learned......and the need to follow strict procedure, techniques, and discipline......

The move to the outdoors has proven itself over and over IME....

Stick with it....you're doing great!

A

That's a good way to look at it. I'm going to try it again. I have a bunch of jars that are ready to be put into the colonization stage.

Edited by planetcaravan03, 31 October 2020 - 10:32 PM.

• Arathu likes this

#12 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 809 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 November 2020 - 07:04 AM

I did once about three weeks after colonization started. Wanted to see where it was at but I couldn't see past all the moisture on the sides of the tub. It was fine then.

If it wasn't fully colonized you could have had competitors enter when you opened. Maybe next time if you cant see through the condensation you could pull out the polyfil to peek inside.
  • planetcaravan03 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!