60 replies to this topic

#41 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2020 - 03:00 PM

Yes, so not sure if it shows on the pictures - but I made my own version of Faht's lids for these TC clones.  They're not moving as quickly as I thought they would, but I'm not too worried about that.  Once the jar fully colonizes I will remove the tape so it is the half with tyvek allowing the clone jar culture to dry out so I can store.  Later, I can add sterile water - shake it up and watch it come back to life then use as I'd like to either move to a fresh storage jar or inoculate and grow out.

At least that is my goal, if I don't mess something up along the way.

TC clone (1 week).jpg - You can see the small strip of tyvek on the jar to the left - I left open during this colonization time - it's been 1 week since I tossed the clone tissue in. I'll pull off some of the black tape once it's fully colonized. 

#42 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,057 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2020 - 04:17 PM

Nice! Sometimes it takes a bit to get rolling but really, you can shake it at any point... I usually giver a shake at like 20%. That’s another reason I like the smaller grains.. more inoc points when ya shake it. But as long as it’s clean, it’s in there and will colonize eventually

And after it’s dry and you want to harvest the myc, you don’t have to let it reabsorb the water before you grab the myc water... just shake the dry grains around and retrieve the water.. it’s brittle and comes off nicely. You can let it regrow. If ya want but it’s not necessary

Faht
  • Freaky likes this

#43 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 04:48 PM

I really like the idea behind it, where I live its hard to get those ring jars and theres alot of different tyveks online, can't get the envelopes here.

_

Dehydrated fruits can be brought back to life aswell, maybe a vacuumated fruit as long term backup lol.

I wonder if fruits that are dehydrated on 122 fahrenheit and above and/or stored in the freezer can also be revived or if that definately kills everything.

Peroxide dunk and inner tissue to revive on agar.

But thats a different story..

_

Senescence.

I haven't tried to put them on different grain, the senesced jars were directly bulked and then I realized what I was dealing with, harvested 25g dry TAT aborts over the last month and hoped to get a single mature fruit to be able to collect spores, there were a few that actually got to the point when the veil separates but they were still tiny ~25-40mm.

Some longer stored and frozen cultures could be reinvigorated by transferring them on new agar recipes on a weekly base + some got coffee grounds to speed up the metabolism and less malt, that also worked.

I think to put them on a different grain might work sometimes but depending on how bad it is they might need to be busy with more nute changes or even like in Radical Mycology said - to expose the senesced culture to competing microbes like pasteurized sub to force it to fight or die.

Again off topic, I keep invading other peoples threads with my shit, I apologize, gotta find a better way to talk about things.

Anyways again, I like the idea behind it.

Looking forward to see more TCs

• fahtster and Freaky like this

#44 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:19 PM

Nah - comment away - that's what threads are for.  Many innovations or good ideas can come from discussion.  Keep sharing!  We know Faht's dry/dehydrate method works and I don't think it'd be bad at all to possibly test some other processes out if you have the time. Maybe find a way to make it work in a similar way with what you have available to you to work with.  Maybe plastic lid cutouts of some kind for the top filters and port areas. 

Something is up with my PesA tub - not sure but the pins just won't form fruitbodies they're stalled blobs.  The myc is so healthy on it and there's no bad smells.  I think I may birth it out and put it in a makeshift fruiting chamber and see what's happening on the sides/bottom.  I'm a bit bummed - I had high hopes.  It colonized so quickly but then took so long to pin and now the pins are mutant blobs.

The 3rd TC and 2nd & 3rd GT's are coming along nicely and the 2nd flush on TC tub 1 has what looks like some decent fruits coming.

I'll update with some pics once I figure out what to do with that PesA tub.

• fahtster and Moby like this

#45 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,057 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2020 - 10:45 PM

How’s that clone jar lookin, Freaky?

0DF401E5-3FDF-49EC-A90B-8720C7AE701A.jpeg

Faht

#46 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:32 PM

They're going a bit slower than I thought and I think it's maybe due to the popcorn. 

I gave them a shake yesterday so here they are at 12 days in. 

TC clones 11-21 (12 days).jpg

I have some fresh fruits I'll be harvesting soon from the GT's and have some nice clone candidates in there so I may try it on the pearled barley with your lid style.  See if the clone moves a bit quicker through the barley jars than the popcorn.  

Edited by Freaky, 03 December 2020 - 11:49 PM.

• fahtster likes this

#47 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:44 PM

Here's some other updates - The 3rd TC tub - this ms didn't have as great of genetics as the prior two tubs. Not worried about it will let it do its thing.

The 2nd and 3rd GT subs/tubs. I had less spawn so one was put in an old coffee container to make it easy. It's got a nice pinset but it took forever to pin. I'll be cloning some of these GT's since the first tub had a bacterial issue to the fruitbodies. Definitely hoping it doesn't appear on these the more they mature.

TC tub 3 and GT 2 and GT3.jpg

And here's the PesA tub -  I think what may have happened - during a cleaning the fan was going and some 10% bleach solution must of floated through - I leave the top lid cracked on this and it's the only thing I can think of that may have caused the blobs.  It is forming normal pins now but you can see it must of had a chemical mist get to it during a cleaning session.  Completely my fault.

No Bueno PesA tub.jpg

And here's the 2nd flush from the first TC tub (which the clones above came from)

Flush 2 TC tub1.jpg

• fahtster likes this

#48 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,057 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:05 AM

The shake should speed things up drastically.. guessing those will be done in a few days if not sooner

Faht

Edited by fahtster, 04 December 2020 - 12:06 AM.

• Freaky likes this

#49 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:09 AM

That makes me feel much better and I'm not overly worried about the time frame.  I've got those PE and PFA from old spore syringes I'm working on so I may just shelve these once they're done and dry them out and store until later. They were a great fruiter though for MS for sure.  I am interested to see how the drying process goes with them too.  They're like my test clones for the future strains I really give a shit about. Your write up and explanation and process worked perfectly Faht!

• fahtster likes this

#50 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,057 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:11 AM

The good thing about those jars is that once it’s colonized, you don’t have to worry about it taking so long ever again... when you use the glc, you just inoc a new little jar of grain when you inoc your qts/bags what have you (I use a full ml and shake it when you inoc) and make a new glc master (I do at least two the first time and keep one to dry out so you can save it if you have to start the culture again in case the first run gets tired). if it’s clean, you’re good to go for a loooong time

You can put them in front of a fan to speed up the drying process.. nothing is getting through those 3 tyvek layers... also, peel off the tape to expose the air flow portion very slowly so that some tyvek doesn’t come with it.. it’s ok if some does.. it’ll still be fine but better to have it not, I suppose lol

Faht

Edited by fahtster, 04 December 2020 - 12:17 AM.

• Freaky likes this

#51 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 703 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 06:46 PM

Sorry to be off topic. Just wanted to share my recent tiny grows.

I've done bulks in the past, but for the past few years I prefer just doing small tupperwares fed by baby jars.

So I typically use 1 baby jar per container. I could probably use a third of a jar per container. Baby jars are a great place to start a culture. Easy to G2G, easy to just spawn to your substrate of choice. I tend to spawn right to a simple coco substrate and print/clone from there. Once I got some genetics narrowed down, then I expand.

Tiny grow.JPG

Lol, went to check what I had going and half of it's labeled!
So unknown albino from left to right, unknown albino, baby jar of AA+, 5th flush of fiji (some side pins), RW, and AA+

.AA+tiny.JPG
Here's the AA+ surface conditions.

Sorry to derail, but this mycellium looks so faint, but healthy! Is that common with albinos? Makes perfect sense.

Edited by rockyfungus, 04 December 2020 - 06:47 PM.

• Freaky likes this

#52 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 703 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 09:59 AM

Let me know if I'm in the wrong posting here. These are 24oz/710mL/3 Cups tupperware. I've been experimenting with cutting 4 holes in the lid and taping them, and opening them for FAE as we pin.

Got some pins on the RW (top) and a few more on AA+ (bottom). These are T2 on agar, so not a great pinset. I just want some prints and to clone any nice fruits.

First albinos I've grown and so interesting seeing white pins without brown caps!

The RW on top is showing lots of aerial mycellium and some bruising, problem with my work schedule and these small grows is trying to regulate FAE/mising.

TinyAlbino.JPG

Edited by rockyfungus, 08 December 2020 - 10:01 AM.

• Freaky likes this

#53 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,057 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2020 - 09:24 PM

Hey freaky... did that corn jar finish out?

#54 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:31 PM

Rockyfungus - awesome sharing! You're right on track with the small scale.  I dig it! And the small half pints I love using like you do above.  The versatility is amazing.

Faht - they finished up and I think I may just dry them out and store/save to try them in outdoor patches next season.  I'd like to see how they do outside in a nice patch.

I did take some GT clones this round also.  Here's the final pictures from these small scale grows.  I dumped after the first flush on all of these, I just have other projects I'm ready to work on and don't have a need to keep these around pushing flushes out of them.

TC tub3 part of flush 1 (I ate the other part fresh with friends)

TC tub3 flush1.jpg

GT tub3 flush 1 - still seemed to have the bacterial infection in the fruits the first tub had - fairly sure there is a genetic issue or the bacteria was in the original syringe.  All three tubs had the issue.

GT tub3 flush1.jpg

GT tub2 that was just a halfpint spawned to an old coffee tub - this one appeared to be the healthier of the three with not as much of the bacterial problem with the fruit bodies so I did select some clones off this one which are going along nicely.

GT tub2 flush1 (used for clones).jpg

GT tub2 flush1 (used for clones) matured.jpg

And the PesA tub I fucked up somehow (most likely cleaning near or around it) - it did fruit fairly decently.  Maybe I'll come back around to working with this strain but for now I'm shelving it.

Pesa tub flush.jpg

• fahtster, cujoloki, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#55 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,057 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2020 - 10:18 PM

Awesome freaky! Thanks for the update! Pretty fruits... now get to work! Lol

Faht
  • Freaky likes this

#56 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2020 - 10:25 PM

I've got PE and PFA on the brain so yea I didn't feel bad at all moving on from these lol

I do have big mono that just pinned today of B+........Not sure how that will turn out - been too long since I've fruited mono style

• fahtster likes this

#57 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 05:23 PM

What's popping Mrs Freaky !?

Nah seriously, hope all is well

• fahtster likes this

#58 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,057 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:39 PM

Me too.. it’s been since the 1st. Hope you’re well!

Faht
  • Moby likes this

#59 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:56 PM

Hi - all is well - I disappear in January and go off grid for mental health lol 

I had to leave the GT clone and TC clone go with zero maintenance while I was away - they fruited fairly well but the TC I'm going to let go and keep working with the GT. I'm trying for a second flush on them now I am back home so hopefully some pics soon.

• Moby likes this

#60 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,057 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 11:29 PM

I think you’ll appreciate this freaky and might find it useful since you use the glc jars. So I did a super lazy spore print to solution by just opened it the print and squirting sterile water from a syringe to wash it off and then made a little “cup” so that the print was in the middle and squirted a few ml of water into the cup and used the needle to scrape some spores into the water and then sucked up a couple mls of that. Then I injected a few drops into 3 four oz rye jars (was going to use them for glc if I got lucky and they grew fine. I wasn’t expecting much success and they did colonize but were obviously bacterial. I started throwing one away and then stopped and decided to try top fruiting them

Glad I did because it’s working. Used press n seal with a small hole poked in it while the top layer colonized and then fruiting them in a ziplock with wet perlite in the bottom

09AD10F5-67CD-4956-8A2A-DF209009E8C8.jpeg 44F8137E-CA82-44A7-AE6E-975CDB4002C7.jpeg 8C9310A9-3AFB-49C5-AD56-6CD6EB9F6320.jpeg

The apeu is knotting as well.. got those by injecting water straight into the swab pack, massaging the tips to knock the spores into the water and sucked the water back out. I actually have some of those on qts fully colonized but still bacterial.. gonna try fruiting in a ziplock (mixed with CV).. should get some fruits from them, they’re not too bad but either way, I should get clone material and spores which is all I need. Might do a write up of super lazy methods lol

Faht

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!