• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 03:13 PM

Was looking for a wild Versicolor, is that one or something else ?

863n8ijt.jpg

The picture were hard to take with quite some climbing, I'll make sure to have better quality pics in the future !

On the first picture theres also another trametes, whats that ?

Also found these guys here

pja8raaz.jpg

they are obviously not versicolor, any idea what those are ?

Edited by DickMoby, 31 October 2020 - 03:14 PM.

#2 solidago

solidago

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 05:55 PM

With T. versicolor having such a wide spectrum of coloration, it's important to check the pore surface. I have seen them in shades of brown, but more often, I see blues and grays. The pores are very small, making the white underside look nearly smooth in texture. Look into the genus Stereum as well, they often resemble turkey tail from above, but have a different pore surface.

#3 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 08:22 AM

With T. versicolor having such a wide spectrum of coloration, it's important to check the pore surface. I have seen them in shades of brown, but more often, I see blues and grays. The pores are very small, making the white underside look nearly smooth in texture. Look into the genus Stereum as well, they often resemble turkey tail from above, but have a different pore surface.

Yea thats why I wanted to check other opinions, wasn't sure if its maybe stereum.

I did read that stereum also has medicinal properties so if its stereum then I'll try to clone it.

Got a bought Versicolor culture here but was also looking for a wild, local strain to have two to compare and domesticate for indoor cultivation.

Gonna check the pore surface today or tomorrow, not sure yet.

stereum isn't white on the underside ?

#4 solidago

solidago

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 10:52 AM

I've read the same, Stereum does have medicinal properties. The ones I've seen in southern Appalachia have an off-white or light tan colored pore surface, and the pores themselves are larger than Trametes. I don't know what might be found in your area. It's very easy to see the difference if the two are compared side by side, not so easy when comparing the two by using descriptive words. Heres some TT I found a couple weeks ago:

IMG_20201016_124000521.jpg

IMG_20201016_124012013.jpg

• Skywatcher and cujoloki like this

#5 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 12:00 PM

Those are some nice finds !

They do look alot different compared to what I found, those are obviously turkeys.

Mine look like those here 

http://treparriscosf...m-hirsutum.html

tho what I find when searching - stereum hirsutum looks alot different to what that guy shows and calls stereum hirsutum.

I'll get some more pictures tomorrow, it rained all day and the spot is hard to get to, tomorrow its a little drier outside.

#6 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 11:40 AM

I went back to the spot to take pictures of those guys.

Here their bottom side 

xdmywf25.jpg

#7 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,652 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2020 - 10:06 PM

Here their bottom side

I have been enjoying your photo shares DickMoby.

Please however upload your pictures directly to this site using the "more reply options" button. When you use an outside service, the files will become corrupted at some point and lost. All that remains is a broken link.

Please do keep sharing your great photographs !

• coorsmikey and Moby like this

#8 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:38 AM

Here their bottom side

I have been enjoying your photo shares DickMoby.

Please however upload your pictures directly to this site using the "more reply options" button. When you use an outside service, the files will become corrupted at some point and lost. All that remains is a broken link.

Please do keep sharing your great photographs !

Cheers!

For multiple reasons I chose to upload them to the other site.

One thing is that I didn't want to fill the topia server too much because I tend to post alot of pictures.

Another one is the picture size, do I have to use a sofware to resize the pictures before uploading them ?

And does the picture quality go down after the upload to topia ?

I'd like to upload directly to the site because it would safe alot of time not to upload the 3-10mb big files through the vpn onto a separate website.

• coorsmikey likes this

#9 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,652 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2020 - 09:35 AM

There is an "ideal size" for the full size pictures which will fit perfectly on the screen. 720 x 720 with a resolution of 72.

The thumbnail will post even if the image is bigger, but if someone (like me) wants to enjoy the full detail and the image is too large, you have to pan around and can't see the whole picture.

Mycotopia has a bazillion images. You are not going to overload the server. I myself do use a program to resize before posting here so it fits the screen. If you post an image that is way too large, it will just spin the loading icon and never show up for many of the members.

I think it is a shame when you are reading an older thread, and find the image files broken. You seem to have a good eye with your pictures. We also have a photography thread you might enjoy looking at and sharing on.............................

This might give you some tips:   https://mycotopia.ne...ly-to-the-site/

Edited by Skywatcher, 03 November 2020 - 09:37 AM.

#10 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 09:57 AM

There is an "ideal size" for the full size pictures which will fit perfectly on the screen. 720 x 720 with a resolution of 72.

The thumbnail will post even if the image is bigger, but if someone (like me) wants to enjoy the full detail and the image is too large, you have to pan around and can't see the whole picture.

Mycotopia has a bazillion images. You are not going to overload the server. I myself do use a program to resize before posting here so it fits the screen. If you post an image that is way too large, it will just spin the loading icon and never show up for many of the members.

I think it is a shame when you are reading an older thread, and find the image files broken. You seem to have a good eye with your pictures. We also have a photography thread you might enjoy looking at and sharing on.............................

This might give you some tips:   https://mycotopia.ne...ly-to-the-site/

Thanks!

Yea the pictures are 4608x3456 or 3456x4608 I've tried to resize them earlier but the app just did cut parts out or put it to a slightly different size than I wanted.

I've posted a tek in psychedelic kitchen, its an extraction, is it possible to change the pictures into ones that were uploaded directly to the platform ?

#11 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,652 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2020 - 03:29 PM

I've posted a tek in psychedelic kitchen, its an extraction, is it possible to change the pictures into ones that were uploaded directly to the platform ?

I do not have moderating permissions for that forum. To do so would require you uploading new sized images directly to a new post, and then someone would have to delete the originals, and copy/ paste the new ones in their place one by one.

An easier way is to ask you to rewrite the original tek again with the replaced images now in place, and I can ask a mod in that forum to copy /paste the entire post into the correct place after deleting your original......

This would protect the integrity of the tek you shared.

Please PM me if you would like to do so so I can follow through.

#12 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 07:23 AM

Sounds fun, not ^^

Get it, I'll let you know when I plan to do so, definately gonna happen, just not now.

The downside is that for the second time peoples comments are lost.

Thanks for the explanation and your time

#13 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,652 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2020 - 09:42 AM

Yes, re-do's are never " fun".

I would say just go forward with this from now on. If you do decide to re-post the tek, do it in the same thread. That way it can be re-positioned and not lose any of the comments.

Welcome Moby, I am looking forward to more from you.  :biggrin:

• Moby likes this

#14 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 01:19 PM

I hope someone reads this.

Today I was on the way to find some Versicolor to collect some medicine and also to get a local strain for cultivation.

Actually one of the first things I found within the first 5mins were some Versis.

Tho during the trip I found some different looking ones and with some I'm not a 100% sure if those are aswell Versicolor.

IMG_20201110_173546.jpg

1605030821254_PSX_20201110_174837.jpg

Those have a alot lighter color compared but also have the same pores on the bottom like versicolor, also thicker than the bigger Versis

__

PSX_20201110_174715.jpg

Same thing here, also alot thicker than the big Versis

__

PSX_20201110_174618.jpg

The coloring looks more like Versicolor but again not sure because of the white tones

__

PSX_20201110_174941.jpg

The pores on a good amount of the fruits turned brown, are those still good to consume or should I better throw them outside ?

__

IMG_20201110_173526.jpg

Last but not least I found a little jackpot,

the thing was small enough to take it back home and have it grow on the balcony.

This will save me a wild strain for a while with fresh fruits for enough tries to put it successfully on agar.

Gonna get antibiotic agar tomorrow or thursday.

___

I'm sitting here and honestly not sure what to do with the bag of mushs, they are so different tho all appear to be versicolor.

Would like to clean them up and dry to store them properly and get some tea but don't want to put some false turkeys under them so everything is gonna sit there for now

Edited by DickMoby, 10 November 2020 - 01:24 PM.

#15 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 02:16 PM

Forgot those in my pocket, had them in a separate bag because they are alot thicker.

Look like turkeys but they have a lightly sour smell and are thick

1605035587390_PSX_20201110_200659.jpg

didn't expect turkey hunting to be so challenging, they are said to be the easiest to identify mushrooms but with all those variations and other trametes its not that easy as a wild mush newb

Heeeelp, heeeeeeeeeelp, aaaaaaaaaahhhHHHHH 

^^

Edited by DickMoby, 10 November 2020 - 02:18 PM.

#16 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,050 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2020 - 01:31 AM

Your first ones might be Chondrostereum purpureum.

The others are Trametes versicolor.

#17 Rac3k

Rac3k

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2020 - 08:04 AM

Versicolor are thin and very flexible when fresh, you got some other species in there too

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!