• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 11:44 PM

Hey fellow noodles. I've got a couple B+ cakes that seem to be stalled, no matter what I do. The cakes are still white and solid so I'm thinking I'll slice them into some substrate, like I did with the Argentina, and give them another chance. The Argentina was a spur of the moment decision and for the most part has been encouraging. Has anyone tried this and if you have do you have any comments, suggestions or observations about their attempt? Thanks everyone!

#2 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2020 - 12:47 AM

I don't know noodle, if it stalled and not eating the food you give it there must be something wrong. Could be contam, could be too dry, could be that it ate all the food you've given it and its not colonizing the dry verm layer or something dumb like that. If you post a pic it would be greatly helpful.

Neverthe less whats your time frame been? A day, a week, a month? This would also help.

Everything I've had stalled has been either too dry or a contamination. Spawning it indoors has always been and epic fail, even in plant pots. On the other hand, I've had some pretty massive outdoor fruits from stalled grain/sub/spent grows. Its cool to watch them grow even if you don't eat them.

• jrh likes this

#3 jrh

jrh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 07:27 AM

^^^

My stalling issues have also been from being too dry.

#4 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 08:00 AM

Stalling is notorious with pfcakes because (if you read The mushroom cultivator) there is the explanation that is a little inaccurate for specific cubensis regarding co2 parameters but to summarize the info statment explains co2 poisoning of the mycelium occurring at 10,000ppm (it varies from cube to cube FYI) but for his research on "purta Rican" that was what they discovered.

So when the co2 reaches a certain level in a pf cake jar it will stall...its a well known issue with using cakes.

The work around is to flip the jar upside down for a day to allow the co2 to roll down and then put it right side up after 24 hours. The dry vermiculite layer might be abit lose but that's ok cause at the point in time that the cake is stalled it's also usually 80% colonized.
  • Boebs and Moonless like this

#5 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 12:29 PM

Sorry taking so long to get back, life happened. Overall the cakes never produced like others I've seen online, they've always been anemic. I'm going to attribute that to a piece of advice I found that advised not to directly mist the cakes, just the sides of the chamber.  I've since done more searching and found out the advice wasn't right but I'm going to go through with the spawning to substrate anyway so I can get a bigger yield.  It's worked pretty good with the Argentina so far, got primordials so I put a thin layer of coir and misted that heavily then fanned it.

The first two are the B+ and the third runt is Orissa India that's too small for spawning to sub. When I took the cakes out to photograph them I noticed 2 little shrooms on the bottom of one cake. They were sprouting where the cake had enough moisture.

DSC01559 (Medium).JPG   DSC01560 (Medium).JPG   DSC01561 (Medium).JPG   DSC01562 (Medium).JPG

If you look closely at the fourth pic I put a square of what's called plastic canvas under the cake to keep it out of direct contact with any moisture that pools on the foil but will wick it through capillary action.

To my inexperienced eye I don't see any contams on any but they are really light weight. Would it be a good idea to hydrate them before slicing to substrate or just slice and dice as is?

One of the things I tried was spraying with peroxide, letting it set for a minute then washing off with water from a spray bottle then I rolled in vermiculite.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 02 November 2020 - 01:05 PM.

#6 jrh

jrh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 01:45 PM

There's a new type of spray bottle that might work better for you, it's a lot more gentle. 

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#7 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 03:33 PM

The one i have puts out a pretty fine mist compared to others like window cleaner bottles. Like the one you suggested it's for hair salons but is a shortie to get into tight places. The down side is you gotta refill it pretty often.

DSC01563 (Medium).JPG

#8 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 12:23 AM

I was following another post here that was talking about adding a casing layer of coir to a cake set to start first fruiting. I think I'm going to do that to the O India mini cake and see what happens. Done...

#9 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 809 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2020 - 01:55 AM

There's a new type of spray bottle that might work better for you, it's a lot more gentle. 

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using one of these lately

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B07DFPMQJ9/

#10 jrh

jrh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 05:37 PM

I've been using one of these lately

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B07DFPMQJ9/

Wow, that is genius! I'm in.

#11 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 10:36 PM

I too have similar issues with stalling. A few of my cakes continue to eat but aren't fruiting. Some of my others appear as though they are colonizing slow or haven't finished so I wonder if that is contamination across the board :( I just keep waiting, not sure what else to do.

#12 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:31 PM

I sliced a couple stalled BRF cakes of B+ to substrate and now it's showing signs of life. Another cake of Orissa India hasn't shown any signs of life in well over three weeks despite diverse attempts to stimulate it. It's too small to do the same treatment so I pitched it even though it looks healthy. It never did produce anything worth mentioning. I initially did that with Argentina BRF cakes after they were colonized and so far have gotten one flush. You could try the same treatment with your's.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 09 November 2020 - 11:34 PM.

#13 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 09:02 PM

btw I had/have a stalled wbs/verm/coir cake that stalled because I over misted, I have left it alone for over a week and I ended up cutting out a trich spot however we have something, I almost tossed it. my only care was to leave it B so I wouldnt disturb anything lol

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201110_121734.jpg

#14 jrh

jrh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 08:20 AM

I had/have a stalled wbs/verm/coir cake that stalled because I over misted

Did you notice liquid pooling either on top or underneath when you were over misting?

#15 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 04:51 PM

no but i had tried to keep a micro climate going and it even looked good (tiny water drops on the surface) but just like a sponge it was eventually too much and 1 day later the whole thing looked matted over.  definetly over saturated looking. took a while to recover, could be it wasnt' ready to fruit but i doubt it

#16 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 05:15 PM

no but i had tried to keep a micro climate going and it even looked good (tiny water drops on the surface) but just like a sponge it was eventually too much and 1 day later the whole thing looked matted over.  definetly over saturated looking. took a while to recover, could be it wasnt' ready to fruit but i doubt it

So as you can see it made a recovery, I even had to cut out a piece of trich in a spot, so i guess I will be happy if I can get a few fruits. I'm still learning, this is my 2nd attempt outside invitro and my first was a store clone so it probably started with good genetics. I also attatched my store clone pic

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201027_075839.jpg
  • 20201027_075818.jpg
  • 20201110_121734.jpg
  • 20201010_154208.jpg

#17 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,474 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2020 - 10:14 PM

Damn It LIFELESS I keep seeing these pics of these beautiful light colored mushrooms you are growing and for the life of me I am missing where you share what strain it is. Can you please post the strain with such perty pic?

#18 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 02:09 AM

When I started fruiting the Argentina cake I don't think it was fully colonized (one of the drawbacks to painting or bagging the substrate) judging by the anemic production, small shrooms and lack of a fully colonized cake. So I'm going to try putting it back to colonizing phase by taping off the vent holes and closing the lid to raise CO2. I don't know if it will work and would appreciate positive or negative feedback such as don't waste your time... The cake doesn't look anything at all like LifelessDead's cake. Any colonization on the surface disappeared entirely after casing with coir at the beginning of fruiting but even then I managed to get about 85g wet from it on the first flush. The tote is about 27qt in size. The tallest was about 4" and since dunking I'm lucky to get 1.5"ers and never did get a carpet of shrooms on the first flush, it was spotty at best. After dunking I put a fan on it for the better part of 24hrs cause it was so wet. The shrooms that did come up after the dunk didn't have the characteristic fuzzy feet indicating too much moisture.

DSC01564 (Medium).JPG

#19 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 04:06 AM

ahh shit sorry fellas please dont confuse the pic of my store button mushroom, it was part of my story. As I get more patient though I truly believe that the less time you can spend waiting will result in more happening :)

Damn It LIFELESS I keep seeing these pics of these beautiful light colored mushrooms you are growing and for the life of me I am missing where you share what strain it is. Can you please post the strain with such perty pic?

sorry that cool cluster you see is my store button cremini, clone sorry :( I figured it was a good place to start and not feel gulity about failures

#20 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 04:14 AM

my first cube is a success though but I dont know the strain :) 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201028_190245.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!