I am depressed today.
1. Trichoderma is becoming a HUGE problem. I bought a flow food, and I buy all my substrate from a supplier for now, so I can more easily nail down where in my process it is going wrong. After sterilizing my jars of Rye for 1hr 30minutes to 3-4Hours at 15 PSI I let them cool overnight, and then inoculate from some of my LCs. I went big and lost out about 15 quart jars on a contaminated LC, and a month prior I lost 20 Jars to bacteria, and then tried the remaining 6 jars, on 3 bins of pasteurized coco coir/verm/cow poo, and they all had bacteria (you can tell when it isn't colonizing very well, and eventually contaminated out to trichoderma). It's been 4 months since I've had any mushrooms whatsoever. I prep the bins by washing them with dish soap, then spraying the entire thing with Hydrogen Peroxide H202, and then laying a plastic garbage bag down on the inside which I will also spray down with H202 then opening my bags of substrate in front of the Flow Hood, and pouring them into the bin. All with gloves on which I also sprayed wit H202. I then cover the top of the bin with Tin Foil to get a tighter seal around the inside, and poke holes in the top with a knife for FAE and cover with a few layers of Micropore Tape/Paper Tape.
One bin contaminated out intensely all over after introducing O2 gas into the container to try and provide FAE without opening the bin, which makes me think the industrial oxygen isn't filtered before compression, and should instead be run through a filtering system then into the bin. The other 2 bins grew trichoderma, after a few days. This could be because either the jar was contaminated, or there wasn't a good enough seal with the tin foil, so perhaps I should just use the provided Bin Lid instead. I think I may skip the oxygen for now.
I am not intending to give up but after all of this I am starting to wonder if it is just not possible anymore to grow mushrooms in a house with 3 pets, a room with a carpet floor, and a garage with laundry going in an out constantly. I've pulled it off before, so...maybe more Mold Bombs?
2. The other Huge problem is Bacteria on Rye Berries/Hard Red Winter Wheat Berries especially few months ago. After months of waiting, watching, keeping faith the mycelium will continue to colonize and then it would slowly stop. I would open the jars and it would reek of wet shoe. Where it should instead smell of healthy mycelium. The source of this problem was that I was not drying my grains after soaking them for 18-24hrs. Causing a too high of a moisture content in the jars, and creating bacteria. Now after soaking I lay them out on a mesh screen suspended over a fan and dry them in the sun to try and evaporate and water on the surface of the grains. It could also be a contaminated liquid culture. That is how I am combating the bacteria problem. My only worry is that the grains are too dry; but they are inflated with water when I PC them, they're just dry on the outside.
I am also not sure my syringe filters work well as FAE filters because they clog with water after Pressure Cooking them and it can stay in there for weeks and you have to clear it with another syringe. Also the rubber self healing injection ports might be letting water in the through sides somehow. I've also trashed a few 3.5lb bags of Hard Red Berries because of a contaminated LC. I have 1 10lb bag of Millet that is working well and is constantly growing and is 50% colonized...so thats good I guess.
Here is the end of my struggles. Hopefully in a bout a month or so, these new LCs I've tested will work successfully. I tested them on 3 jars and there was no mold growing in them after 4-7 days. Hopefully Treasure Coast will work, and PF Classic. Albino Penis Envy Hybrid seems to be taking well it seems. My only worry is that my grains were too dry from being outside over a fan and in the sun for too long, and the mycelium doesn't get enough water to grow throughout the jar. I have 3 incubators filled with 16 inoculated quart jars each now. Maybe I should skip LC and just do straight Spore Syringe, but thats so expensive, and hard to do with a bulk grow.
More patience, and more rigorous trial and error ahead.
Never give up!
Edited by Saphroziac, 04 November 2020 - 03:14 PM.