Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

"Exotic" manure experience? Alpaca/rabbit/goat etc.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zentatonic

zentatonic

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 08:06 AM

Has anyone here messed around with any of the more unusual poo in their pans/tubs?

You can find rabbit turd, alpaca "beans", llama, goat manure, etc. on Ebay and Etsy.

Are they no match for horse/cow manure, or will alpaca beans and straw make a fine substrate?

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,446 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2020 - 11:12 AM

That manure may work fine depending upon whether it is aged and dried.

I have only "field collected" such items from pastures and grazing areas. I have no experience ordering it from a supplier on ebay.

• zentatonic likes this

#3 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 812 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2020 - 06:08 PM

I have tried mule poo which I collect myself and is my favorite so far. Tried alpaca poo but mine had clumps of dirt and sticks and stones so it wound up feeding my pepper plants. Tried black kow manure which is fine when you cant get out to collect poo on your own.
  • zentatonic likes this

#4 PsychoactiveScientist

PsychoactiveScientist

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 06:37 PM

I've used moose manure. Worked really well. The pellets are smaller than horse, so they don't need to be broken down prior to pasteurization and the increased surface area seemed to get the mycelium excited. 

• zentatonic likes this

#5 badabing

badabing

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 05:15 PM

I also have used moose manure. I live in area where they are everywhere and any walk through the woods will cross many fresh piles. Just guessing, but I think most ruminants would have manure that is somewhat similar, being that their digestion is similar with multiple stomachs and cud chewing. Stuff like rabbits, horses and mules aren't ruminants and probably have different residual nutrients and bacteria profiles in their dung. Again, just guessing.

Moose eat a rougher diet than other deer species, with a lot more twigs and woody bits. Might be a secret ingredient for woodlover spawn ? 

• zentatonic likes this

#6 lavenderstars

lavenderstars

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:26 PM

ive heard aplacas produce the best manure for crops in general, plus theyre just so fuzzy and cute! if i can id like to have a couple on a farm one day

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!