• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Cybin2000

Cybin2000

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 05:56 AM

So, I started to make myself a glovebox out of a plastic storage tote but failed miserably. Both sides cracked trying to cut and drill, but eventually gave up and cut through the top. I'm not satisfied with my work. Let's see some boxes! Anyone have any ideas to show off?

#2 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 07:35 AM

Hey just flip the tub over and cut 2 holes in it. I made a glove box in the start also. The gloves stayed on for 3 minutes. Totally overkill and not needed.
Just sanitize your hands or wear regular gloves and spray them with alcohol. It’s also helpful to enter the SAB slowly so you don’t force a ton of dirty air in it. Well, that sounded dirty for sure.
  • Cybin2000 and makinbones69 like this

#3 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 656 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2020 - 01:03 PM

If you can find yourself a large sharp holesaw (for cutting holes for ducting etc, that’s the best way to go. Hot coffee can works too.
  • Juthro and Cybin2000 like this

#4 Cybin2000

Cybin2000

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 04:07 PM

Hey just flip the tub over and cut 2 holes in it. I made a glove box in the start also. The gloves stayed on for 3 minutes. Totally overkill and not needed.
Just sanitize your hands or wear regular gloves and spray them with alcohol. It’s also helpful to enter the SAB slowly so you don’t force a ton of dirty air in it. Well, that sounded dirty for sure.

Yea... I cracked every side but the lid. Haha. You made it sound very dirty. Flip the thing over and enter slowly. Got it.

#5 Cybin2000

Cybin2000

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 04:09 PM

If you can find yourself a large sharp holesaw (for cutting holes for ducting etc, that’s the best way to go. Hot coffee can works too.

I am definitely buying a holesaw they're only like $5.

• DonShadow likes this

#6 Cybin2000

Cybin2000

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 04:11 PM

I'll post a picture of my hackjob.. : /

• coorsmikey likes this

#7 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 10:00 PM

A hole saw helps but a dry wall saw is better.
Edit: just drill a small hole then use either a razor knife (disclaimer:please be very careful and don’t cut toward yourself) or a dry wall saw.

Edited by Misfit, 11 November 2020 - 10:02 PM.

#8 Cybin2000

Cybin2000

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 11:52 PM

A hole saw helps but a dry wall saw is better.
Edit: just drill a small hole then use either a razor knife (disclaimer:please be very careful and don’t cut toward yourself) or a dry wall saw.

i tried but it shattered :/

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0348.JPG

#9 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,704 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2020 - 01:59 AM

Melting with a coffee can, and a torch for the win :)    (IMHO)

It's totally the primitive Pete way to do it, I know....  But......,  you won't crack you plastic that way.  However you do it, just realise its a pain in the butt, and take a brake or two in the process.   It's getting greedy and trying to take to big of a bite that generally cause you to break the plastic.  Impatience is the enemy.

BTW, my advice to you if you try and drill it, make sure you clamp it to a piece of scrap wood behind the plastic, it's where the plastic pulls in weird angles from side torque from a drill bit that will cause most of the issues (IME).   And for the record, I'm not saying any of the above advice is bad, cuz it's not.  It is just a task that requires some finesse, as well as a good procedure, and in the realm of DIY projects is not as easy as it might look at first.

I have faith that you can do it. Good luck on your next attempt :)

• JACKOLANTERN and DonShadow like this

#10 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2020 - 09:28 AM

A dremel with their standard "cutting tool" (looks essentially like a drill bit) should be able to do it, although it might not be the prettiest thing in the world.

Honestly, the coffee can and torch sounds like the best way if you have a torch. Maybe even one of those creme brulee torches could do the job.

#11 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,584 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2020 - 02:56 AM

I use a number 10 veggie can. With top and the bottom cut out. I set it right on the stove burner to heat it. Bottom cut out makes it pretty easy to handle with just a pot holder, or a pair pliers if you're young enough to still have all the feeling in your fingers!
  • JACKOLANTERN, Juthro and jrh like this

#12 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2020 - 09:13 AM

I love the voice of experience. Maybe it's time to get me a SAB. Sounds like a #10 can is 6 1/4 " diameter.

Is it best to have the bin upside down (so the lid is the floor) or right side up?

#13 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,584 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2020 - 01:48 PM

I do upside down. Another tip, get a big one! Remember your going to have both arms in there doing stuff, a bunch of supplies and tools, and things need to go smooth and efficient.
  • jrh likes this

#14 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 08:30 AM

Not trying to be an asshole but if cutting a hole in plastic is posing an issue, you better buckle in for the rest.

#15 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2020 - 09:36 AM

Not trying to be an asshole but if cutting a hole in plastic is posing an issue, you better buckle in for the rest.

Maybe not trying, but succeeding. Dude asked for help, no need to shame him imho.

#16 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 09:57 AM

Absolutely wasn’t. I was noting that things will be harder from here.
  • jrh likes this

#17 JACKOLANTERN

JACKOLANTERN

puking unicorn

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 08:23 AM

Indispensable uses.welder.jpg

#18 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 12:30 PM

Was it a new tub? If not, the plastic may have gotten brittle which would result in what you experienced.

#19 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,249 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 01:19 PM

jkdeth's   way to go ....is they way to go heh !

.no .fancy attached gloves needed.

just get   really big clear bin use lid as  floor takre big can like tomato juice or fruit oomes in .

heat  can ,melt tow arm size holes . in side .........done ..

you  might want to practice how you will proceed , using slow steady motions as you work to avoid stirring up air currents ...hence SAB  still , air , box

good luck ,

BEZ

#20 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Black VIP
  • 828 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 04:29 PM

Was it a new tub? If not, the plastic may have gotten brittle which would result in what you experienced.

I've not had much luck cutting/sawing new or old plastic tubs. Have to agree melting holes is the way to go.
  • rockyfungus likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!