Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Experience growing in Tropical climates?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 09:20 AM

Have recently moved to a tropical climate. Forgot how damn humid it is

I'll be living maybe half a mile from the beach, inland a ways.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience growing in year round hot/humid/More humid climates? 

I imagine there's a bunch of special challenges here- Mold growth for one is probably going to be way gnarlier than it was up north.

Anyone live beachside/tropical and care to add any thoughts/advice?

#2 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2020 - 02:31 AM

Congratgulations on the move!

I'm sure you could grow cubes and some of the other actives outside in either beds or pots during the hot and humid season. Cubes, Mexicana, Derumbes and Pans are all tropical or subtropical growers.

I used to grow mushrooms in a room that was very hot during the summer months and it worked just fine. I got some pretty large fruits from that grow, which was actually my fist successful grow, and I had enough to take them when ever I wanted so it was a very successful grow. Compared to my more room temperature grows I would say temperature doesn't make much of a difference for cubes. They really are one of the most forgiving mushrooms.

If you are worried about mold in your indoor grows you could always to grow bags. They stay quite clean when growing cubes because you never have to open them untill harvest.

A SAB is a must. It will surely be enough to block out the spore load traveling through the air.

For other species you will just have to check it out. I know that in very humid fruiting chambers mold is something that can happen. You might want to experiment with using salt water or bleach to keep your wet peralite clean, Other than that you can have the air exchange at higher amounts which should help.

Overall once a fruiting block is established it tends to fight off contamination quite well.

#3 smellitstinknot

smellitstinknot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2020 - 03:42 AM

The tropics actually makes for easy cultivation of many popular species. The humidity is of a great benefit as you can provide much more fresh air with a basic set up in fact you may even be able to open air fruit without having to spend hours a day misting.  Mold growth should be a non-issue as clean spawn is very resilient in regards to contamination. Many temperate species can often be fruited in these climates after a cold shock in the fridge.

I've found it more challenging growing in temperate climates. I constantly have to run a heater in the cold months which means ambient humidity is often below 30% not to mention high heating costs. Since all species including temperate fruiters colonize much faster in the 70's or 80's as opposed to 40-50f  the only benefit of a cold climate in cultivation comes at the fruiting stage for select species. We have a short,hot, dry summer which again requires adjustments be made.

Congrats on the move btw.. I plan to move back to a tropical coastal climate myself end of next year and honestly can't wait for the move to happen.

Edited by smellitstinknot, 12 November 2020 - 03:54 AM.

#4 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 627 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2020 - 07:57 AM

I don’t have any first-hand experience growing in a tropical climate, but I do recall reading one of TVCasualty’s posts a while back where he talked about using extra-long pasteurization times while living in an area that has a lot of mold issues. Maybe he’ll be able to chime in here about it if he sees this post.

#5 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:30 AM

The humidity is of a great benefit as you can provide much more fresh air with a basic set up in fact you may even be able to open air fruit without having to spend hours a day misting.  

Gah wouldn't that be a dream! Actually moving into the place tomorrow

I have a flow hood- well it's in pieces now; have to remake the frame as it didn't travel with me in the move. 

I've got a number of different options as far as grow 'rooms' go... One is a 8''x6''x6'' ''mini pool'' - all tiled, and in the corner of the kitchen of all places... (wtf was this person thinking when they designed the place is quite a common thought when seeing some of the constructions down here) though, while It could be pretty great for keeping humidity, it would slightly more challenging to vent for fresh air- That, and, the space kind of screams to be made into a sense dep tank... I could do that for way cheap- pretty much the cost of a heater and the salt...

On the other hand, there's a good deal of space outside, and it's a pretty shaded area; so there should be some good spots outside

I've seen some partially disintegrating raised raised beds (will take photos later)- that look like they hold some potential- 

I initially envisioned doing monotubs like I have experience with in temperate climates; but the idea open air fruiting is super desirable- Though, I think that might only actually be possible to do during rainy season- Will have to await a humidistat test to find out what the humidity actually is at this time of year. It is 'dry' season...

I also want to grow a good quantity of edibles... More research is needed. 

#6 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:16 PM

You have to be clean. That’s the challenge. If you are pasteurizing it needs to be on point.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!