Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:47 AM

Hey Guys

Recently moved to a coastal, tropical area 

I'm renting a place with a decent amount of outdoor space, as well as shade- 

And I'm looking to be here for a while, and want to do some growing of all kinds-

I'm certain that a good number of botanicals would grow where I'm at, and so I'm wondering

if anyone could point me in a good direction to give me an intro to the subject? 

• Skywatcher and Boebs like this

#2 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,140 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2020 - 05:40 PM

All depends on what your tring to grow, cactus, cappi, morning glory, salvia all grow well where im at, also costal tropical. However for my cactus i had to build a green house to keep them dryer due to all the rain..
  • Skywatcher likes this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,721 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2020 - 07:21 PM

If you are interested in all botanical's, you have a near endless variety. You can of course also focus on a few specifics if you choose. The advantage to being in a tropical climate with the stabilizing coastal location keeping huge fluctuation at bay, is you can provide the environment needed for things like Kratom far more easily than someone like me in a hot and very dry climate zone.

I would suggest listing botanical plants you would be interested in, and then doing a search of the environmental requirements for each plant. That will likely eliminate a few, but also provide some perimeters for you to set up various "micro climates" to improve the environmental provisions needed, such as lighting and moisture, air movement etc.

I am sure you will be enjoying the ability to grow a variety of useful and medicinal plant "helpers".......

• coorsmikey likes this

#4 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 10:19 AM

If you are interested in all botanical's, you have a near endless variety. You can of course also focus on a few specifics if you choose. The advantage to being in a tropical climate with the stabilizing coastal location keeping huge fluctuation at bay, is you can provide the environment needed for things like Kratom far more easily than someone like me in a hot and very dry climate zone.

That's exactly why I'm asking for help; The 'near endless variety'... and given the climate/space I have available, I think that I'll be able to produce an environment suited to pretty much anything except for deep rainforest plants... 

So how to go about choosing? 

Kratom for example; I've never had a specific interest in it before; but now that I'm in a position to actually grow it, I find that suddenly I'm much more interested... 

On the cactus front,  Peyote and San pedro I've never tried (synthetic Mescaline, yes... but cactus is one of the few psychedelic substances I have yet to experience)... Cactus of all kinds grows super well here;  Nopal is used in food dishes, and cactus apple/ tuna fruit is abundant as well.   

I'm definitely interested in the cactus realm- even from the purely asethetic standpoint their such wild creatures.... 

Just found out yesterday when researching for a permaculture project that Mimosa Tenuiflora/ hostilis is actually Tepezcohuite- which is also abundant down here. .. 

And I'm interested in syrian rue as well.... 

On a more hypothetical note; I'm potentially interested in starting an actual nursery for botanicals; but I'm curious if the laws for shipping live plants internationally would be subject to too many regulations to make it worthwhile....

I guess thats a long way of saying- How would you go about prioritizing beginning a botanical garden? 

#5 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,140 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2020 - 11:16 AM

Contact local business bureau, agriculture department and law enforcement and ask about the certifications needed to be held and what not.

#6 greenskeeper

greenskeeper

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 04:22 PM

Severian: from what you've written, I think your priorities are;

1. Kratom
  2. San Pedro
  3. Mimosa Tenuiflora/Hostilis
  4. Syrian Rue

With seeds you can get them now and figure out what to do with them later.

For San Pedro, get cuttings - they grow much faster than seedlings.

Growing plants doesn't take much money but lots of time so start now.

Let your nursery plans take shape while you're growing your new garden.

• Severian likes this

#7 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 09:06 PM

Severian: from what you've written, I think your priorities are;

1. Kratom
  2. San Pedro
  3. Mimosa Tenuiflora/Hostilis
  4. Syrian Rue

With seeds you can get them now and figure out what to do with them later.

For San Pedro, get cuttings - they grow much faster than seedlings.

Growing plants doesn't take much money but lots of time so start now.

Let your nursery plans take shape while you're growing your new garden.

That's funny, exactly what I had in mind actually. Thanks for the pointer. :)

#8 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2021 - 01:16 PM

There are several  interesting Acacia trees  ....hummm....

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!