• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MrSloth

MrSloth

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 07:59 PM

Hello everybody.  Figured I'd use this opportunity to introduce myself and thank everyone for allowing me to join. 

I've been growing mushrooms for a few years now, I started with cubes and have since moved to culinary/medicinal species (nice variety in the process and appeals to my fiance lol).  Currently I am growing shiitake and lions mane even though tomorrow I think I'm gonna expand some summer white oyster spawn to start making a few blocks of that.  I've had some issues building a straw tek that gives me consistent results, but I'm gonna order some wheat straw (I was using barley, I heard it should work but I had horrible results, even though admittedly I have issues fully draining the straw so an oversaturated substrate could have easily also been the cause of my issues).  

Just finished wiring up my grow tent, basically just a metal shelving rack I have wrapped in 6m plastic with 2 humidifiers, lights, 2 fans and a humidifier sensor to control all the fancy gizmos.  Finally got it to bounce between 85-87.2% rH, I've had issues keeping the parameters stable but with my new humidifier I just bought I've got it down to a +/- roughly 2% rH, which seems to be as narrow as I can close the gap.  Can post some pictures if people would like, it's pretty much how you'd imagine it though haha, its homemade so the wiring isn't beautiful but hey it works like a charm!

In the coming months I'm going to be expanding my mushroom library, currently building up a supply of spore prints to try and play around with some teks to see if I can get better results.  The species I'm going to be including will be; shiitake, lions mane, oysters (summer white, gray dove, pink, golden and king), reishi, maitake, morels (found a tek that seems to be legit, we shall see if I can get a print/culture and try it out),  cordyceps (once again, have to find a specific strain to try a tek out, also supposedly legit) and a few others but those will more than likely be the main ones.  Only have the one tent so I have to do species that have compatible parameters otherwise I'd try em all at once haha.

That's pretty much it though, I just grow these bad boys for fun, food and I'm trying to get a farmers market business going so any tips/insight into any species I'd love to hear it.  Surprisingly difficult to get specific answers about any species that's not illegal in the states lol.  I also grew cubes for years with excellent results, primarily golden teacher and AA+, so I may post every now and again some advice if I feel up to it. 

Thanks again for the add, hope to get to know some people on here!  Thanks for reading, have a great day. 

• coorsmikey, Skywatcher, ElPirana and 3 others like this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,529 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2020 - 08:34 PM

Welcome! There are a few active members that can help with the markets and such. Just start a thread or post your questions and give it moment for someone to reply. The ones doing the markets aren't here every day but do check in often and love to chat with other likeminded. So it gives us something else to talk about beside the everyday stuff. There is some competition though if you are opening up shop on someone else’s corner though. Get to know some folk and let others get to know you!

Edited by coorsmikey, 12 November 2020 - 10:16 PM.

• Skywatcher and MrSloth like this

#3 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,566 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2020 - 08:38 AM

Hello welcome to Topia MrSloth!

#4 samundson

samundson

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 09:58 PM

Welcome, I'm new also, but with only a little experience in growing medicinals for myself and my partner.  I applaud your devotion to the craft and wish you luck in your small business!

#5 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2020 - 11:03 PM

Cool, Christmas seems to be getting a lot of new faces joining up.  This is the place for answers my friends, so carefully word your questions so the right ones get attached.  I have learned so much here and met so many good friends it's downright amazing;

Welcome all who are beginning a new chapter here on the topia.  It's a very special place.  

• Sidestreet likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!