Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

New research: Morning glory contains 5 stimulating LSD-like drugs, soluble only in wine/alcohol, only sparingly soluble in water.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,929 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:00 PM

Pharmer, I went to the link, even requested the catalogue, but I do not see a search function, and no Morning Glory, or Heavenly Blue listed in the catalogue. I just received today 75 Heavenly blue seeds from the only vendor on Amazo- that had 5 star ratings that I could find. That will be a next summer project though. 

• tregar and clumsy like this

#22 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 877 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:18 PM

I may even just grow Pearly Gates next spring, as the 1975 study found double the amount of alkaloids in them compared to heavenly blue. The seeds are more expensive.

Lest we not forget that Norman also had remarkable seed extracts using wine:

Norman here said on 16 September 2019:

Years ago I stumbled across a simple method for dosing HBWR.
Grind the seeds and cover them with white wine, let sit in the fridge for a day or so, shaking occasionally, decant, filter and drink.
No nausea no aches no vasoconstriction.
I am now off alcohol completely so I’m thinking of an alternative method short of a full on extraction.
I’m convinced that something in the wine besides water and alcohol is what makes the trip so clean. I’ve tried twelve percent water alcohol mixes in the past and still had the nasty side effects and at the same time the trip is not as strong.
I’m thinking acetaldehyde and or tartaric acid may be involved or at least a good place to start.
Any thought on what chemically may be going on?

Attached Thumbnails

• pearly gates vs heavenly blue.PNG

• Myc, Coopdog and ElPirana like this

#23 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,929 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2020 - 10:28 PM

100 seeds of Pearly Gates coming as well now. I have high hopes for this thread resulting in some beautiful summer nights. 

• tregar likes this

#24 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 877 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 11:31 AM

Claviceps purpurea vs claviceps paspali:

The problem with Ergonovine (another name for ergometrine/ergobasin):

Have read all of the "The Immortality Key, the Secret History of the Religion with no Name" this past weekend, and highly recommend it.

There are two main water soluble alkaloids in the poisonous claviceps purpurea ergot: ergonovine and lysergic acid amide (LSA). These can be separated from the non-water soluble alkaloids which are poisonous. 

The author cites Wasson's request for Albert Hofmann to track down and analyze the ergot of wheat and barley, "both of which would have been plentiful on the Rarian plain so explicitly showcased in the Hymn to Demeter". These cereal grains commonly become infected with claviceps purpurea ergot, and only rarely infected with claviceps paspali. I am thankful that he states "the search for the kykeon goes on", noting that ergonvine is only one of many alkaloids found in ergot.

Hofmann's letter to Gordon Wasson on page 205 (one of the colored pics) contain's Hofmann's trip report (which he recovered from the Wasson collection) with several milligrams of ergonovine which is another name for ergometrine or ergobasin, all names for the same water soluble alkaloid. 

Note that this alkaloid is only found in very small amounts in morning glory and claviceps paspali, but is one of the main water soluble alkaloids in the poisonous claviceps purpurea. At the bottom of the page, Carl Ruck's experiment with the compound was noted as resulting instead with "mixed results" as opposed to Hoffman's findings. 

My concerns with ergonovine stem from the follow-up experiments with it performed below by several experimenters...it resulted in heavy somatic symptoms (moderate vasoconstriction and cramping) while the psychedelic quality was mild, and contained none of the euphoria common with LSD, mushrooms, cactus, Ayahuasca, morning glory, and quite possibly the Greek claviceps paspali infected paspalum grass.

The claviceps paspali infected paspalum distichum grass, which as found in the 1961 paper by Stevens and Hall, contains same rich alkaloid profile as the Mexican morning glory (high levels of LSH or lysergic acid hydroxyethylamide along with a handful of other simulating LSD like alkaloids) which as show in this thread all work together (teamwork) to hit the same brain receptorome profile that LSD hits, and beyond. Note LSD only hits 1 of the adrenal receptors, while LSH hits 6 of the adrenal receptors, see brand new 2020 LSH receptorome data on post #7. 

C. paspali submerged cultures have ergine, isoergine and lysergic acid N-1-hydroxyethylamide or LSH (Arcamone et al., 1960) while sclerotia from Australia contain up to 0.005% alkaloids composed of ergine and ergonovine along with chanoclavine and two unidentified ergoline alkaloids (Groger et al., 1961). Elymoclavine (Kobel et al., 1964) and agroclavine (Brar et al., 1968) have also been recorded.

We also know now that LSA is a schedule 3 sedative and is a breakdown (decomposition) product of LSH over time, or when LSH is heated, or when LSH is extracted into plain (neutral) water. LSH only survives intact in acidic environments, like those of acidified water or wine for example. 

3 experimenter's effects when ingesting pure ergonovine, another name for ergometrine (found in HBWR), June 1979 Journal of Psychedelic Drugs:
In the January-June 1979 issue of the Journal of Psychedelic Drugs, Jeremy Bigwood, Jonathan Ott, Catherine Thompson and Patricia Neely report on their attempt to replicate Hofmann's finding in three experiments with ergonovine maleate, each time in one pastoral setting. They were following up Wasson and Ruck, who tried the same amount as Hofmann but "did not experience distinct entheogenic effects."
With Thompson acting as a guide, three of them took 3mg. of ergonovine maleate, which appeared as a slightly phosphorescent bluish solution in water. Fifteen minutes later they felt like lying down and looking at the sky; then there were "very mild visual alterations, characterized by perception of an 'alive' quality in inanimate objects." Most of this effect passed within an hour; walking along the beach, they experienced mild leg cramps. Bigwood saw eidetic imagery before going to bed, and the three "slept easily...awakening refreshed in the morning."

The three experimenters were "convinced that ergonovine was psychoactive, but only J.B. was persuaded the drug was entheogenic." They decided to try it again two weeks later in an increased dosage of 5 mg., but Neely took only 3.75mg. "Again, we experienced lassitude and leg cramps, more pronounced than in the earlier experiment." The psychic effects were more intense than previously, particularly eidetic imagery. "Now it was clear to all of us that ergonovine was entheogenic...The entheogenic effects, however, were very mild, while the somatic effects were quite strong. We had none of the euphoria characteristic of LSD and Psilocybin experiences."

To determine if higher consciousness alteration was possible, they tried larger oral doses of ergonovine maleate a week later. This time, Neely took a dose of 7.5mg and the others took 10mg:

"One of us (J.O.) described "flashes in periphery, ringing in ears, inner restlessness" 40 minutes after ingestion, and later noted "mild hallucinosis, cramps in legs and felt the cramping in the legs as painful and debilitating. The psychic effects did not increase with the same magnitude as the somatic effects...For what seemed like hours, we lay on our backs atop a small pumphouse, watching fluffy cumulus clouds pass silently above us. The effects were still quite intense six hours after ingestion. One of us experienced abundant eidetic imagery, rapidly-changing, colorful geometric patterns, undulating, never still. We all had a slight hangover the following morning."
Albert Hofmann even stated that Claviceps Paspali ergot which infects paspalum grass commonly all around the Mediterranean basin contains the same rich alkaloid profile as the Mexican morning glory long ago, and could have likely been a source of the Kykeon.

Albert Hofmann (page 10) of "The Road to Eleusis" by Wasson, Hofmann & Ruck: "Chapter 2, a challenging question and my answer":hxxps://maps.org/images/pdf/books/eleusis.pdf
There is a further finding that may prove to be of utmost importance in considering Wasson's question. The main constituents of the Mexican morning glory seeds are (a) lysergic acid amide (=ergine), and (b) lysergic acid hydroxyethylamide (LSH), and these are also the main alkaloids in ergot growing on the wild grass Paspalum distichum L. This grass grows commonly all around the Mediterranean basin and is often infected with Claviceps paspali. F. Arcamone et al.3 were the first to discover these alkaloids in ergot of P. distichum, in 1960. 
Professor Carl Ruck even states on page 131 of his book "Sacred Mushrooms of the Goddess, Secrets of Eleusis" that claviceps paspali was found in the 1961 study I cite at bottom to contain not only LSA, but LSH. 
----------------------------------------------
Note (1) Researchers showed in 1961 that Claviceps paspali produces high amounts of LSH in culture: "Production of a new lysergic acid derivative (LSH or Lysergic acid hydroxyethylamide) by a strain of Claviceps paspali, Stevens & Hall". One of the studies I read indicated they picked the infected ergot from paspalum distichum grass in the vicinity of Rome. 

Note (2) 2016 Polish morning glory study found 3x higher amounts of LSH in MG seeds direct from grower/producer vs retail, hxxps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4830885/ LSA is a decomposition product of LSH over time.
seeds direct from growers: 1.71 LSH to 5.08 penniclavine ratio
seeds off retail racks: 0.54 LSH to 4.75 penniclavine ratio
It is possible fresh black seeds from vine could likely be near 5.00 LSH to 5.00 penniclavine ratio, vacuum pack and freeze the freshly picked seeds to maintain their high LSH potency indefinitely. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!