#1 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,834 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:11 AM

This is the easiest method I've ever come up with to prep spawn. You can make spawn for 480 substrates in 10-15 minutes.

You will need-
A 3 quart scoop
14a Mycobags
A towel or blanket
A scale that weighs 1200+ grams
Hot (160°+) water
Grain
Medium or coarse grade vermiculite

I also like to add a 6" diameter stove pipe with a duct register taped on top so I can get the material in the bags without any spillage. You can see the mycobag standing up in this picture with my pour spout in the bag.

2020-11-17-07-31-33.jpg

First things first, get all your ingredients within arm's reach to speed up your processing.

Weigh out 200 grams vermiculite, and put verm in your bags first.

2020-11-17-07-28-57.jpg

Weigh out 1,000 grams grain, put it on top of the vermiculite in your bags.

2020-11-17-07-29-17.jpg

Weigh out 1,200 grams hot water and put on top of the verm and grain.

2020-11-17-07-29-37.jpg

After you get finished adding the water to the bags, mix the water/grain/verm thoroughly. Now fold the bags over and cover with a towel for 30-60 minutes. The magic in this method is using super hot water, as it encourages endospore germination within a few minutes by simulating thermophilic compost temperatures.

Once your germination time frame has passed, load the bags into your pressure cookers. You will notice that a lot of water (2/3-3/4) has already soaked into the grain after only a half hour.

2020-11-17-07-43-49.jpg

You need a riser to keep the bags out of water, these risers are sold with water bath canners at Walmart. You can put a little over 3 quarts of water in your canner using these risers.

2020-11-17-07-44-19.jpg

Put myco bags in the cooker and fold the tops toward the outside of the cooker.

2020-11-17-07-44-45.jpg

Put the second layer of bags in your cooker at a 90° angle to the first layer, and make sure the bag tops on the lower bags aren't pinched closed.

2020-11-17-07-45-03.jpg

Add a plate to the top to keep your bags from blocking the cooker's steam vent.

2020-11-17-07-45-45.jpg

You need to cook mycobags for 3+ hours to be sterile, so you have to control the amount of water that's leaving the pressure cooker. The easiest way to accomplish this goal is by taping two coins to your PC weight, a quarter and a nickle. The extra weight reduces water losses to zero at anything under 17 psi, you can literally fall asleep and leave the cooker running all night without running dry.

2020-11-17-08-01-43.jpg

Here's a spawn bag and batch of sub sitting under my vertical flow hood. You can stack 30+ bags under a vertical hood, it helps lab work go a lot faster.

2020-11-17-08-02-00.jpg
  • sandman, Freaky, Kronos and 3 others like this

#2 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,834 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:19 AM

Here is a thread where I used this grain spawn recipe. Ratio was a cup of spawn per substrate, so you can inoculate 22 fruiting substrates from each spawn bag.

https://mycotopia.ne...and-techniques/

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,381 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:51 AM

I assume that falling asleep and having it run all night without going dry is a theory you have tested?

• kcmoxtractor and DrepsiLocybe like this

#4 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,819 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:44 PM

Nice HVAC funnel I like that a lot! Very cool.

I have long thought "man why don't you have some kind of funnel thingy to fill these bags?" when I'm making bags and never do anything about it lol.

Cool to see you still rocking that vertical hood too.

Excellent write up from a master of bag.

• coorsmikey and kcmoxtractor like this

#5 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,834 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2020 - 10:37 AM

I assume that falling asleep and having it run all night without going dry is a theory you have tested?

Yeah, ten times or more. I can't seem to stay up past 930pm.

I have long thought "man why don't you have some kind of funnel thingy to fill these bags?" when I'm making bags and never do anything about it lol.

Thanks sandy! I got into bags after seeing the awesomeness that is your sandbags.

The funnel is so useful. It makes for a cleaner seal, since there's no substrate in the "seal zone" on top of the bags.

You can cut a 6" diameter hole in a 2x8, install the 2x8 at a 26" height over your bagging station, and use the 2x8 to support multiple funnels at once, which results in faster bagging. The stove pipe also holds 6 lbs of substrate perfectly if filled to the top of the pipe.

Vertical hoods are awesome once you're doing more than 5 bags at a time! I don't have to pick grain spawn out of the filter face, and if your hood is boxed in they will still provide sterile conditions with low air flow rates.

I'm actually collaborating with Unicorn bags now to write/record a "how to use bags" from start to finish. I was helping folks in the comments of their Instagram posts and Unicorn asked me to do a techniques summary.

Here's what the grain looks like when it's finished.
https://youtu.be/XLqYerfGj3E
  • PJammer24 and bezevo like this

#6 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,834 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2020 - 10:46 AM

Yeah, ten times or more. I can't seem to stay up past 930pm.

Thanks sandy! I got into bags after seeing the awesomeness that is your sandbags.

The funnel is so useful. It makes for a cleaner seal, since there's no substrate in the "seal zone" on top of the bags.

You can cut a 6" diameter hole in a 2x8, install the 2x8 at a 26" height over your bagging station, and use the 2x8 to support multiple funnels at once, which results in faster bagging. The stove pipe also holds 6 lbs of substrate perfectly if filled to the top of the pipe.

Vertical hoods are awesome once you're doing more than 5 bags at a time! I don't have to pick grain spawn out of the filter face, and if your hood is boxed in they will still provide sterile conditions with low air flow rates.

I'm actually collaborating with Unicorn bags now to write/record a "how to use bags" from start to finish. I was helping folks in the comments of their Instagram posts and Unicorn asked me to do a techniques summary.

Here's what the grain looks like when it's finished.
https://youtu.be/XLqYerfGj3E
  • sandman likes this

#7 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,381 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2020 - 11:37 AM

It's good to see you back around KC! Perhaps someone can answer a question for me regarding vertical hoods... Wouldn't it be best to have a porous work surface under your vertical hood to help avoid splash back? I have similar concerns regarding the users body and horizontal hoods... I think the benefits of using a vertical hood are most advantageous if the air were able to pass through the work surface. There would be no splash back or eddies from the flow hitting the table/work surface... I noticed you were working from a stainless steel table similar to ones i would expect to see with a horizontal hood and wonder if with a vertical hood, a porous surface might be superior.... thoughts?

#8 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 914 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:44 PM

ummm what  diffrent grains have you  used this method with ? curious

also i assume "14a Mycobags " is a unicorn bag designation , what size bbag in genneral would that be demensions ?

thanks bunch

BEZ

#9 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,381 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:50 PM

ummm what  diffrent grains have you  used this method with ? curious

also i assume "14a Mycobags " is a unicorn bag designation , what size bbag in genneral would that be demensions ?

thanks bunch

BEZ

Hey Bez!

That is a unicorn bag designation. You would be surprised by unicorn's market share, there isn't a huge pool of competitors. 

14a is 8x5x19... .5 micron filter

@KC, During your more recent escapades, I see you have found that 0.5 micron filters are suitable for spawn production? I have seen some debate as to whether 0.5 micron bags are suitable for spawn that suggest 0.2 are more applicable. The 5 micron bags are more than adequate for fruiting some species and inadequate for spawn production but I have always leaned toward the 0.2 micron bags for spawn... Perhaps the 0.2 efficiency is overkill for many purposes??

Edited by PJammer24, 18 November 2020 - 01:50 PM.

• bezevo likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!