Thanks Mikey! I'll enjoy spreading the love when it come to that. After all I wouldn't know my ads from a hole in the ground in the mycology dept. If it wasn't for this place. The lions mane and chicken of the woods just happened to be peak specimen to be harvested.
I thought it possible to do this thread since the mycelium is clearing up very nicely on agar and liquid cultures are testing and passing very nicely. More on that later.
I thought I should post how I managed to get my agar game down without purchasing the luxurious Petri. My first month I used a substandard placeholder for a scalpel. It was a wooden carving knife I honed to a razor sharp edge. Even though I Pc'd it I kept seeing black pin mold on my transfer edges. This I replaced asap with a standard replaceable blade scalpel for under 10$. Included was a lot of blades!
I dived into agar with a potato water /cornsyrup /coffee solution. I know since its my first time I should be conservative but I always want to push the envelope and use exciting innovations. After some inspirational smoking and brainstorming I decide to add .25 grams of biofilm from fermented fish extract. Which is basically half fresh fish parts and half fresh cane sugar mixed homogenously and left to ferment. It's called FAA in Korean Natural farming.
Having made 250 gallons of biochar a few months ago I decided later to add some more exciting additives to the actual agar to increase the mycelium autoimmune response to voracious bacteria and fungi that are made in my biochar reactor. I digress.
My agar recipe for my first run follows.
- 450 ml of tap water boiled in 150 grams of finely diced potatoes
- 10 g agar agar
- 10 g corn syrup
- .25 grams of FAA biofilm
- 50 ml of your best coffee
- graduated measurment quart canning jar (good glass)
I started off with boiling the potatoes until they were fork tender. Use 500ml of water for evaporation. Strain off all water into a vessel then fill quart jar with 450ml of starch water. Weigh the agar on a scale. Toss it in. Weigh the syrup. Slide it in the jar. Weigh out biofilm. Scrape it into the jar. Seal it with a ring and lid. Shake it like it's hot. Using a nice thick clean kitchen towel grab the jar and Shake it for a good 3-5 minutes. You want this to be very mixed up. The constituents in the solution at this point must be completely dissolved before pressure cooking.
- PC @15 psi for 30 minutes
This gets transported back into the SAB @150 degrees Fahrenheit and poured into 50 ketchup cups. Gloves are used and alcohol is poured onto paper towels and rubbed all over EVERYTHING before anything is opened. My SAB IS cleaned before each use with a 10% bleach solution and later rubbed down with a healthy application of isopropyl.
Ketchup cups come packaged in a sterile bag. The ketchup cup bag is wiped down with 90% alcohol then left to sit in SAB until opening. I usually pour all 50 at once in 2 runs using the whole bag. I am a mad scientist with all this agar. I have 2 open air cultures for every room in my house just for curiosity sake. @[email protected]
jokes aside I needed alot of agar to pull this off. This method proved to be cost effective and contaminated plates removed after 1 week was less than 5 percent. At 2 weeks one or two more would show a random contaminate. As a whole I feel it's very effective.
Edited by cujoloki, 19 November 2020 - 11:14 PM.