• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Psilo

Psilo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:53 AM

hey all its been a looooong time since I've posted something here, but since I've had a lot of time on my hands this year (i.e. quarantine) I've found myself submersed in an old hobby of mine!

I recently spawned a few monotubs and they have been growing at different rates (in jars and tubs) but they are both different forms of spawn, all stemming from a good amount of myco cultures and supplies i received from a friend of mine.

Tub A.

Three jars of varying different types of grain were inoculated with an agar plate containing a KSSS strain isolate a friend of mine took from a nice fruit cluster he harvested. Then the three jars were left to colonize, one jar popcorn, the other wbs, and the last rye. After sufficient colonization the jars were spawned into a single tub with about 1:1.5 ratio of spawn to coir/verm mix. The tub colonized very nicely and relatively quickly and was set to fruit about a week ago. Hyphal knots and pinning is very healthy and primordia are very well developed.

Tub B

Three jars of WBS were inoculated with a MS Costa Rican strain. These jars took abnormally long to fully colonize, i believe due partially to me shaking them right after inoculation (overall about a month to fully colonize quart jars). These were then spawned to same size bin with same ratio and same substrate mix. Tonight i just set this one out to fruit.

So i guess the point of this thread would be a sort of comparison between strains, substrates, and spawn types. Included are separate pics of each and one side by side pic. I will do my best to post updates on how they are doing. So far the KSSS has about a weeks head start fruiting time than the Costa Rican. Thanks for reading, good to be back on the topia!

Attached Thumbnails

• side by side.jpg
  • Tub B.jpg
  • Tub A.jpg

• Freaky, ElPirana and makinbones69 like this

#2 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:00 PM

The main factor you have to consider if comparing is that the CR was done multi-spore and the first tub was done with a KSSS clone isolate.  It's like comparing apples to oranges.  If you could grab a clone sample off the CR once it fruits then you could do a true comparison between the strains and grains and subs.

They look great though.

• adrian118 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!