• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 armorking1

armorking1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 09:59 PM

So I’ve returned to the hobby and burst out 6 dub tubs: Haulta, PRs, MDK and TAZ.

The 6 quart shoe box I normally take out and dunk in a bigger container, say a 12 quart container.

I soak 2 hrs, flip, soak another 2 hrs....back to fruiting conditions.

My question is... can I just wash off the casing layer, pour in the water and leave in the fridge for 4 hours. I don’t have a bigger tub for the 12 quarts, and to be honest it’s getting crazy with all these tubs. Normally, I put some Clorox in the dunking water but this method I took that out. Anyone got any suggestions or comments.

Here’s some pics of my projects

Attached Thumbnails

• 8385281F-9CC8-4F03-B39C-EF12E4D945C8.jpeg
  • 32B97EA6-C4B5-4BD3-AF2A-62E7F03F02BE.jpeg
  • 7B9F720A-1F55-4D01-B6A8-A49A253E5DBB.jpeg

#2 cujoloki

cujoloki

unbeknownst

• OG VIP
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 10:39 PM

I wouldn't use Clorox in any event. Just my opinion. Dunking in a fridge I have heard is a thing. Seems sound to not hace to flip. Maybe submerge. Im not an expert though, more qualified people can answer.

I never have been one for dunking. I preferred not having to go through the trouble and contain risk. I remember injecting what i would deem field capacity into the substrate using clean water.

Very nice flushes though. What substrate mix did you use?

Edited by cujoloki, 18 November 2020 - 10:41 PM.

#3 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:06 AM

I use Dub Tubs pretty exclusively now. I pour a liter or so of water over the sub aftr harvesting, leave for 15 to 30 mins, drain and then put straight back to where it lives. Never get contams unless there was already one present which hadn't shown itself. These always show during first flush or 2nd flush latest so I doubt that the dunking has anything to do with contams when you're working with a healthy tub. 

• coorsmikey likes this

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,381 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2020 - 03:12 PM

I wouldn't use Clorox in any event. Just my opinion. Dunking in a fridge I have heard is a thing. Seems sound to not hace to flip. Maybe submerge. Im not an expert though, more qualified people can answer.

I never have been one for dunking. I preferred not having to go through the trouble and contain risk. I remember injecting what i would deem field capacity into the substrate using clean water.

Very nice flushes though. What substrate mix did you use?

I agree with the sentiment regarding the Clorox but you lost me when you said you prefer not to dunk... Sure, I have friends who don't dunk and call it a day after two flushes, it is certainly a thing... However... If you have healthy spawn and properly pasteurized substrate, that substrate will be quickly colonized and be healthy enough to ward off contamination through at least one if not two or more dunks... It is not the dunk that gives people issues as much as their preparation of spawn and substrate. Injecting seems like more work than is needed.

I do not use a fridge in my dunks or in between flushes but the thought is that the temp drop induces more prolific fruiting.

#5 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,471 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2020 - 06:50 PM

Fill the tub up with water until the sub is floating above the rim, while over the sink just snap the original lid on submerging the sub. After your done soaking, pop open one corner of the lid to drain. Take the lid off then put back into fruiting.

• jkdeth, Nicked and jrh like this

#6 armorking1

armorking1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 07:42 PM

Appreciate all the advice. Spawn is rye grain onto manure. Let’s go 2nd flush

#7 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:07 AM

When you put back in to fruiting conditions, do you mist and fan?

#8 jrh

jrh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:07 AM

I thought part of the point of dub tubs was to set them up and forget about them. Is that incorrect?

#9 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:22 AM

Fill the tub up with water until the sub is floating above the rim, while over the sink just snap the original lid on submerging the sub. After your done soaking, pop open one corner of the lid to drain. Take the lid off then put back into fruiting.

The most useful methods are the simplest ones...and I'm kicking myself for not thinking about this. Perfect!

• coorsmikey likes this

#10 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:26 AM

I have an oscillating fan in my room running 24/7 so I never fan my tubs and the only time I ever mist is before the first flush to make sure the surface conditions are good and I'm replacing any moisture that's evaporated off the surface so that I maintain the same level of evaporation. After a dunk there is normally a lot of available moisture that needs to evaporate so I generally don't mist. 

• coorsmikey likes this

#11 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:29 AM

I thought part of the point of dub tubs was to set them up and forget about them. Is that incorrect?

If you've got your space dialled in then it requires very little upkeep. Every grow needs some input if you want to do it well so nothing is really a complete set and forget..

• jrh likes this

#12 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:55 PM

I do basically what coorsmikey does. Except a out a few jar rings on the sub to hold it under water.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!