• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Salty117

Salty117

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 12:30 AM

Is "Re-sterilizing" out of the question? I guess the specific question I have is would trying to re-sterilize questionable grains (grains that have a bit of a slimey appearance) be a waste of time/energy or would is it possible to salvage the grains by running them through the PC, or do they become less viable after a second run through?

#2 smellitstinknot

smellitstinknot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:35 AM

Yes you can sterilize contaminated grain jars. On the odd chance I have a contaminated jar early on in colonization I'll place it in the fridge to slow growth and run it through the PC with the next batch. I've not had an issue with contaminants recurring.

• Salty117 likes this

#3 Salty117

Salty117

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:00 AM

Okay, I had concerns that a 2nd run through the PC would dry them out or whatnot but if you have been able to salvage grains this way then I'm going to get to pc'ing. Maybe I'll rinse the grains too since it's been a couple days since I pulled them from the incubation tub.

Ty!

• jrh likes this

#4 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,566 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:58 PM

Just trash it. Can you PC it? Sure. Should you re use it? No.
  • coorsmikey, Salty117 and coAsTal like this

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,388 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2020 - 03:10 PM

i have found that attempting to reuse already loaded jars leads to the moisture content being off and poor results... I would just start from scratch... Grain is relatively cheap and you can find the time...

#6 Salty117

Salty117

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 04:27 PM

i have found that attempting to reuse already loaded jars leads to the moisture content being off and poor results... I would just start from scratch... Grain is relatively cheap and you can find the time...

When you say loaded jars do you mean just loaded with grains or loaded with genetics? The grains I have in question are a few 3lb pre-sterilized grain bags that some got g2g transfers and some havent but the ones I haven't trasferred any grains into have a strange slimey look to the grains.. I thought I noticed it before I did my transfers but dismissed it thinking it was simply condensation forming on the walls of the bags and running down to the grains but after 5 days the transfers look.... sick. Unhealthy. Which leads me to believe the grains have a bacterial issue going on. I did the transfers in front of my flow hood as well. I'm not going to say "it's not me" but I will say that I have confidence in my sanitary technique.

#7 smellitstinknot

smellitstinknot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:32 PM

Okay, I had concerns that a 2nd run through the PC would dry them out or whatnot but if you have been able to salvage grains this way then I'm going to get to pc'ing. Maybe I'll rinse the grains too since it's been a couple days since I pulled them from the incubation tub.

Ty!

No I haven't had that issue with jars but then results will vary. If your PC is run on the rocker you'll lose more steam/moisture from your PC and grains. I run my PC with a 20psi weight and keep pressure at 15psi. Very little steam escapes during a cycle. Furthermore the hole size and filters on my jar lids may differ from that of other growers. I'm not sure how well spawn bags will hold up on repeat cycles since I've not tried them.

#8 Salty117

Salty117

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:16 PM

Ty!

No I haven't had that issue with jars but then results will vary. If your PC is run on the rocker you'll lose more steam/moisture from your PC and grains. I run my PC with a 20psi weight and keep pressure at 15psi. Very little steam escapes during a cycle. Furthermore the hole size and filters on my jar lids may differ from that of other growers. I'm not sure how well spawn bags will hold up on repeat cycles since I've not tried them.

My PC is a really old Burpee from the mid/late 60's and just has a lift valve type thing and a pressure gauge. Doesn't have weights. I keep it closed until it gets up to 15psi then I use channel locks to relieve pressure, loosening the valve until it maintains just over 15psi without any additional fiddling. When it's done I kill the heat and open the valve to it's open position to relieve pressure. I'm considering getting a newer PC like a Presto but the missus isn't going to want to hear about spending more money on something we already have x_x haha..

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!