• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:05 PM

I forgot to ask in the last post, I've run across info that says if the substrate starts sending up shrooms while in colonizing phase you should put it into fruiting. My problem is that the mycelia hasn't fully colonized the sub yet. So, leave it in dark or let it see the light?

#22 thafunkyone

thafunkyone

don't take no shit son!

• OG VIP
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:16 PM

it needs to colonize more or its gonna shit the bed on you- you introduced fruiting too fast by not leaving it alone to colonize. I don't know the best route from here, I can't remember making this mistake and I thought I'd make pretty much all of em...:)

I think I'd pull all primordia and cover it up to see if it'll fully colonize. if you let it run now its gonna contam on the uncolonized part, and I would NOT eat the fruits from a contaminated substrate- you do not know what is living in those mushrooms then. you have nothing to lose by trying to finish colonization. that's what I'd do, maybe someone else has more experience with this situation. I would also keep it away from any other subs you have currently- a substrate is contaminated BEFORE you can see it, so lets not introduce this likely contaminated substrate to anything else. 

#23 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:47 PM

Pretty much what I thought too. It stays in the tent for at least another week.

#24 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:20 PM

A lot to read to catch up! At least for me anyway. Lol.

A couple things:

Manure really isn't neccesary for cubes. A high spawn rate 1:2 or 1:3 will give them all the nuts they need.

If you choose to use manure, but you need real pasteurization, a bucket is asking for disaster. You 155 F for 4 to 8 hours.

I didn't notice which manure you used. Hpoo I've used at 50 percent, Black kow, 20 to 25, it tends to get muddy. Earthworm casting 5 to 10. I've only used one type at a time.

In fruiting, when you put it into fruiting is personal choice. Lots of folks use fruit at spawn type grows and never really change conditions. Its not really about light, light isn't a pinning trigger.

Pinning prior full colonization, I call panic pinning, cause its fun to say. What's happening is the mycelium is trying complete its life cycle in an environment so contaminated death of the organism is expected. Dealing with that is a case by case basis. There's a big difference in something almost colonized and pinning, and something say less than half colonized and pinning.

#25 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 133 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:01 AM

A lot to read to catch up! At least for me anyway. Lol.

A couple things:

Manure really isn't neccesary for cubes. A high spawn rate 1:2 or 1:3 will give them all the nuts they need.

If you choose to use manure, but you need real pasteurization, a bucket is asking for disaster. You 155 F for 4 to 8 hours.

I didn't notice which manure you used. Hpoo I've used at 50 percent, Black kow, 20 to 25, it tends to get muddy. Earthworm casting 5 to 10. I've only used one type at a time.

In fruiting, when you put it into fruiting is personal choice. Lots of folks use fruit at spawn type grows and never really change conditions. Its not really about light, light isn't a pinning trigger.

Pinning prior full colonization, I call panic pinning, cause its fun to say. What's happening is the mycelium is trying complete its life cycle in an environment so contaminated death of the organism is expected. Dealing with that is a case by case basis. There's a big difference in something almost colonized and pinning, and something say less than half colonized and pinning.

For one of my tubs I pasteurized the sub overnight at 165-170 thereabouts then allowed it to cool outside for a few hrs. So far I'm not seeing any performance difference between that one and the ones that I poured boiling water over and let cool. If I'm not mistaken they were the same substrate recipe with the exception of coffee grounds. I think that is to wake the shrooms up in the morning. I used Black Kow manure that I washed down and let sit for almost a week before incorporating it in the sub.

I remember coming across a reference stating that when shrooms start appearing it's time to fruit which I found out isn't necessarily so.. You mentioned it can also be in response to some sort of contaminate, that contaminate is probably the shroom piss. The tub smells like healthy shrooms otherwise. I haven't noticed the piss on the other three tubs yet. Of those three tubs the Pink Buffalo is looking the most promising with hyphal knots and primordia populating 3/4's of the surface. It's spreading like a wave across the surface. I'm going to keep the other three in colonization mode until I see good primordia covering their surfaces.

My take on the manure component is that shrooms really like the nutrition it furnishes and needs it to be part of its diet.

#26 thafunkyone

thafunkyone

don't take no shit son!

• OG VIP
  • 1,003 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:28 AM

the only real issue I've ever had with black kow is it not being very clean- like rocks and sticks and shit in my shit. usually I'll run it through a screen to break it up and get any foreign particles out. Worm castings used to be a preferred substrate amendment- people even had worm bins on here. it's crazy how things fall to the side...

FAE will induce fruiting. If you're not keeping your substrates in colonization- exposing it to air basically- you will induce fruiting. I try to keep my substrates covered for a few days before I peek even, it's hard when you start, but it's easier the longer you do this. If I'm fruiting a tub and I use a bag as a liner I'll flatten that bag out and keep it closed and cut the bag when I'm ready to fruit to introduce air. if I'm using turkey tins (my preferred throwaway container for a long time) I'll cover it in parchment at the least.and plastic over that. Once these things are introduced to massive air exchange you're gonna get fruits. That's what I imagine is going on, but if not well, I've been wrong before .:) 

Also-  manure isn't needed, but it doesn't hurt depending on your other substrate parts. manure and coir work well imo. or a little in some straw- straw works plenty well on its own though. Why no straw projects here? 

#27 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 133 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:51 PM

I must have gotten lucky with the Black Kow I got, well composted, no urine that I could smell, no stones that I came across and any sticks were inconsequential. The fellow from Home Mycology (Youtube) on the other hand hates it. Lots of urine, stones and other crap. I think a lot has to do with the facility it's processed at. Could be state to state rules too. Laxer rules = crappier crap.

Once I layer the sub with spawn the lid goes on and stays on, the holes are taped closed too. I started using the plastic plant identifier tags to keep track of what variety shroom it's inoculated with. When the Argentina was put to fruiting conditions I put a thin layer of coir on top and heavily misted and fanned it. Within a week it was fruiting but not a forest canopy. I'm forgoing the coir on the GT and seeing how it performs.

I'm learning to use my nose as a contaminate detector, so far all I smell is healthy shrooms.

I know you can grow shrooms without manure but I think you can get better and more shrooms with it. More for the mycelium to feed on. But when you think about it shrooms grow best on fresh poo, not processed poo. Has more to do with the human nose not wanting to get offended by the smell.

Indeed, why are there no projects using straw here, Home Mycology uses it...

Edited by FunnyFarmer, Yesterday, 03:52 PM.

#28 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 133 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:04 PM

deleted

Edited by FunnyFarmer, Yesterday, 11:44 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!